The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Superman has super powers.

Poor Bob has Andy Powers.
Love it!!!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
What are y'all doing to my company!

All the drastic changes in guitar making across the product line. The warm response to "revoiced" instruments, leading into V Bracing, Grand Pacific, and now credible rumors of changes to the V Bracing and the Grand Pacific. Six bridge pin twelve strings. An across the line price increase. X bracing being available across the board after it's removal from most of the line. Reducing the PS series option to the radiused armrest as opposed to the former beveled. Yet the beveled is on the 900 series, but not the PS series. Now all of the GO's, GS's and all 12 strings (except the 62 series and 100 and 200 series) across the line have been removed from the website. Bob has got to be saying I have to come out the forest in Africa and say WTH are y'all doing to my company. Too much to soon. You are confusing the customers!!!!!

Check out the Taylor site.
Where did you hear that v bracing is being changed, and are u saying that Taylor is reintroducing X bracing on models they moved to v bracing only on? Or am I just misunderstanding your post?

If they r reintroducing x bracing then there will likely be a Taylor at some point in the future for me. With the v bracing they completely lost my interest.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Where did you hear that v bracing is being changed, and are u saying that Taylor is reintroducing X bracing on models they moved to v bracing only on? Or am I just misunderstanding your post?

If they r reintroducing x bracing then there will likely be a Taylor at some point in the future for me. With the v bracing they completely lost my interest.
It is my understanding from someone at Taylor that X bracing is going to be an option. How and what way, I do not know. V bracing, dare I say the dreaded word is getting a fine tuning. A well noted pause has been seen at the factory.
Scale length has been discussed for the GP. A point I mentioned on this forum at the introductions of the GP. There I said the body style would greatly benefit from a shorter scale length consistent with the vintage design.

What will come of this I certainly do not know. Maybe it is just a moment a reflection before redirection or staying the course. I think Taylor is going to be just fine. It is simply not a good practice to make such significant change in a short amount of time. If they weather it good for them. I am not alone as a weary customer. So much so, I held off ordering a 12 string a few months ago because I don't know what I may be missing by not waiting.

Stability is what they need to settle into and make changes in moderation. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Audie; 08-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am very much a fanboy of Taylor. Just calling it the way I see it. I am very familiar with the company. There is to much going on all at once and the flip flopping is unsettling to me. I am sure it will get worked out. And we assume Bob Taylor is fully in the loop. I am sure he is aware, just how much, I don't know. When this will all settle out is yet to be determined. There is no denying they went full throttle with innovation, only to slow it way down. They are killing their dealers with all this latest and greatest, while the other products lose the limelight on the wall hangers risking fate as the older and lousier.
But you're not really calling anything. You're inventing a narrative and showing no actual evidence that your narrative is factual.
You're essentially imitating Cartman.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 PM

I called what I see. I dont like what I see. I shared what I heard. If you don't agree that is fine. This is not a trial. Take the time to look at it yourself from both sides and outside the box if it matters to you. The title of my thread is an assumption! Im not trying to convince you of anything and I never called it a narrative, you did. I cant imagine Bob is completely liking this. If he is, he is out of touch. Something that happens when you have been doing something to long and get distracted by other shiny objects.

Last edited by Audie; 08-09-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
But you're not really calling anything. You're inventing a narrative and showing no actual evidence that your narrative is factual.
You're essentially imitating Cartman.
Is a narrative the same thing as an opinion? I don't think so.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There's that old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I don't know what they (Taylor) were thinking to tell you the truth.
I'm pretty sure Taylor knows exactly what they're doing. Until the Grand Pacific came out, I had no interest in even trying out any Taylor guitars. Taylor, to me stood for ugly, "modern" guitars with barn door electronics and cutaways. No thank you. From a business perspective, one could argue that if a major guitar maker has nothing in their lineup that even remotely interests a large portion of people who play acoustic guitars, something is very broken and needs to be fixed.

A couple of weeks ago, at RockyGrass, I finally got my hands on a Grand Pacific and played it. The result: If I were in the market for a dreadnaught, the GP would be a VERY serious contender to any Martin I would consider. Based on the very lukewarm reviews I had seen around here, I was fully prepared to dislike this guitar, but the opposite was the case. I really, really liked it.

Boom. See what Taylor did here? Converted a die-hard Martin fan who wouldn't even give any of their guitars a second look into a potential future buyer.

Fixed.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I called what I see. I dont like what I see. I shared what I heard. If you don't agree that is fine. This is not a trial.
There is a difference between stating your opinion and claiming to know what Bob Taylor is thinking.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
There is a difference between stating your opinion and claiming to know what Bob Taylor is thinking.
What part of "has got to be saying" dont you understand. It is an assumption by definition. I never said I claimed to know what he is thinking. Geez!.

I was just making conversation about what I am seeing. You guys are wrapped to tight. It is just a conversation.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 PM

I think Bob Taylor is doing the same thing he's been doing since he bought American Dream...innovating. Some times it works, other times not. But I think he's done okay by guitar making. I don't think the company's going to implode anytime soon.

But, that's IMHO.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Default And yet some things stay the same

With all the changes Taylor still offers only one bridge spacing, as if the guitar world is stuck in time. Go figure!
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 AM

Record sales, #1 producer (in volume anyway), escape from the day-to-day grind....what’s not to like from BT’s perspective? He did a very good job executing his succession plan so that he could move on to a new love—reforestation. I admire his business management more than his guitars.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
What part of "has got to be saying" dont you understand. It is an assumption by definition. I never said I claimed to know what he is thinking. Geez!.

I was just making conversation about what I am seeing. You guys are wrapped to tight. It is just a conversation.
You stated various scenarios that no-one else is aware of as if they were fact. You now mention that you "heard from someone at Taylor". Care to be a little less vague or do we just take your word for it?
Old 08-10-2019, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Come on, guys... this conversation needs to remain polite. All members are entitled to their opinions.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
It is my understanding from someone at Taylor that X bracing is going to be an option. How and what way, I do not know. V bracing, dare I say the dreaded word is getting a fine tuning. A well noted pause has been seen at the factory.
Scale length has been discussed for the GP. A point I mentioned on this forum at the introductions of the GP. There I said the body style would greatly benefit from a shorter scale length consistent with the vintage design.

What will come of this I certainly do not know. Maybe it is just a moment a reflection before redirection or staying the course. I think Taylor is going to be just fine. It is simply not a good practice to make such significant change in a short amount of time. If they weather it good for them. I am not alone as a weary customer. So much so, I held off ordering a 12 string a few months ago because I don't know what I may be missing by not waiting.

Stability is what they need to settle into and make changes in moderation. Just my opinion.
Very interesting...Thanks for the clarification. This could get very interesting to say the least....hmm...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion