The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Default Pick Up The World vs. Open to Source Sensors

Does anybody know if the stuff sold by OTSS is different than PUTW? I understand the designer is the same. I'm looking into a system similar to the PUTW Dynamic Duo, but if the newer OTSS stuff is improved, I'd likely go that way. I realize these are a little obscure...just fishing for any experience that might be out there.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:47 PM

OTSS =only the strong survive
Putw= put with

You might explain some more on those initials.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
OTSS =only the strong survive
Putw= put with

You might explain some more on those initials.
PUTW - Pick Up the World - a pick up designed by David Enke. OTSS - Open to Source Sensor - his newer designed pick up for musical instruments.
I have a PUTW #54 with a MiSi battery-less re-chargeable pre-amp and it is really nice. I have not tried David's OTSS system but have heard some good things about it. I'll be interested in following this thread.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM

PUTW is now owned by David Enke's ex-wife Annie. I don't know if David is supplying her with inventory, or if she's currently making the pickups herself (or having them made by someone other than David). In any event, its my opinion that your best bet is to order from David at OTSS. He gets out the orders quickly and will work with you if you encounter any issues.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:15 PM

I’ve just started using David’s UST. Super thin, balanced tonality, passive. Sounds just great with ToneDexter. Without TD, it’s the least piezo sounding UST that I’ve experienced. I’ll be putting it in all of my guitars.

Jenn
Old 08-15-2019, 06:50 AM

I experimented with an OTS bridge plate pickup about a year ago. I really enjoyed the sound, the only issue was that often it would hum pretty badly. I tried everything. I tried his plug-in buffer right at the jack, I tried extra shielded cables, and nothing would get rid of it 100%.

It was fine around the house but playing out sometimes the sound systems you plug into aren't grounded correctly and in those situations the OST pickup would hum like crazy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification