The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Default Yamaha Acoustic guitars

Anyone have or tried any of the new Yamaha’s?
Thoughts or opinions?
Yamaha Red Label FSX5
Yamaha AC5R ARE
Yamaha FS-TA TransAcoustic

Thank you
Michael
Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 AM

The red labels look nice. I'd love to try one. That said, they have little in common with the original red labels.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 AM

I too am interested in knowing more about these including the FGX5. Would love to know how the FGX5 would compare to the LL16.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 08-07-2019, 09:18 AM

There have been recent threads about the red labels, you can search for them.

That being said, pretty much all Yamahas are well-regarded here.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Yes

I think the new Yamahas are very good. They seem to have perfected building guitars in large numbers while still maintaining quality. Previously I had something of a predisposition towards low to mid priced China guitars (they do make certain upper end models in Japan) I figured how good can it be? And although they dont feel as solid as my old guild D35, I have to say they are incredible instruments when considered on a price/sound value. The current Yamahas may actually be better than the ones I briefly sampled maybe 15 or 20 years ago. As far as the "vintage" models I have little experience, there is a vid on utube where a new red label reissue is compared to an old one.
I have an FG850 and recently got an FG3 red label reissue. The 850 is a real looker, and has a nice balanced sound. Truth be told the sound of both is well beyond what I expected for the price. The fg3 sounds like it should be 3 times its street price.
With that said the only niggle is the frets on both 3 and 850 benefit from a top smothing with steel wool and edge filing, only other thing I did was linseed oil the matte neck, and a tusq saddle on the 850. pro set up, and what you got is a pretty darn good guitar for not a ton of money.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 AM

My beater is an FG800.

I own some high end Martins, it doesn't put them to shame...

but I've played quite a few higher end guitars from other makes and it hangs with them.

Paid $100 for it.

Solid top with the scalloped bracing makes for a really lively guitar. Yamaha has really great quality control as well.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 AM

From what I’ve seen of the FG’s, a fret polish is a good idea but fret leveling on a new one seems to be a thing of the past with other brands as the new Yamahas especially from China have computerized high technology production.

I haven’t been an enthusiast of electronics so I can’t report on the TA’s.

For those enquiring about the LL, it is a jumbo by any other name with deep and wide lower bout, so it provides an ocean of sound rather than any concentrated punch.

The FGs are 16 1/4” across the lower bout so in some books qualify as a jumbo also. It’s worth to note the dreadnought as originated by Martin is more than 1/2” less width at the lower bout.

Above offered by way of general discussion.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Although I don't have the exact models asked about, I did own a gen 1 AC3R (no A.R.E.) and an A5R, and currently own an FGX5. All are/were great guitars. When I bought the A5R, I actually preferred the sound of the AC5M at the time, but at that point I was hooked on rosewood. Anyway, the A-series are very comfortable--the necks are easy to get around on. If you prefer the wider nut, then the L-series or the new red labels are what you need to look at. I only sold my A5R because it didn't blow me away with its plugged in tone, and I got hard up for cash. The AC3R treated me well for 5+ years and the preamp on it was fantastic! The FGX5 is a very special guitar. It sounds exactly what you dream of a mahogany b/s dreadnaught sounding like and the pickup is phenomenal. As for the difference in the Japan vs China made, I haven't really noticed that big of a difference. All my guitars get upgraded nut, saddle and bridge pins...but with the FGX5 I didn't have to. I have played the FG/S TA models, but not the LL/S TA. I own an LLX6A (older model) and I owned and LL16M A.R.E. -- the L series are fantastic guitars. A step above the FG/S for sure.

All the models you mention are the smaller body size. With the forward shifted bracing, they sound really good for smaller bodied guitars. If you want a big sound, consider the larger bodied variants. Not real sure what you are looking for out of the guitar. If you're going for a great plugged in tone, they all will work well. The mic modeling on the AC5R isn't bad. The FSTA won't really give you much tone shaping, but you will get two onboard effects, which are totally cool by the way, and a decent sounding, but not as good of a a pickup as the other models. The Atmosfeel in the new red labels is very natural sounding to my ears and with the blend feature, pretty versatile. If you have more specific questions, state them and I will tell you what I can.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 08-07-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Recently played an FG3 and LLTA while shopping for my recent guitar purchase. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them...so much so that they both inspired me to take the leap of buying a higher end custom shop yamaha acoustic out of Japan sight unseen...We'll see how that works out in September when I get it...

Yamaha is generally putting out solid product from what I can see. I played all price ranges that day and felt these 2 Yamahas held up very nicely against everything else I put my hands on. I have play many other yamahas in that past as well...same thing...I'm a fan...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 AM

I think I might have to pick one of these up later after I finish licking my financial wounds from my recent guitar purchase...

Sound amazing for sure...so good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDwQePAGNv8
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

The new Red Label Yamaha's are very intriguing.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangelmm View Post
Anyone have or tried any of the new Yamaha’s?
Thoughts or opinions?
Yamaha Red Label FSX5
Yamaha AC5R ARE
Yamaha FS-TA TransAcoustic

Thank you
Michael
My new FG5. Is as good if not better than any of the earlier versions . Very nicely detailed build. EXCEPTIONAL TONE! Full and vibrant .Highly recommended
Old 08-08-2019, 11:35 AM

I just received the FSX5.....and I bought it because I've had such a phenomenal experience with the LS-16 for about 3 years.
The sound is more complex than the LS 16, which was much brighter. My guitar needs a setup, but is stable, stays in tune, and has a much improved amplification system. I swore I would never buy a guitar with controls on the body, but these are well done, can make many tiny adjustments to sound/tone. I'm getting used to a wooden pick guard, a new one on me. The finish is subdued(more like a matte finish), and the construction seems a bit more compact than previous models, although I haven't compared the dimensions scientifically, this guitar seems a bit larger than the LS 16.
My 1st Yamaha acoustic was in 1985, a relatively poor sounding acoustic/electric, but a tank. I still have it. The builders at Yamaha are doing a great job.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:12 PM

Default yamaha guitars

I have had an LS-TA, the concert or roughly a 000 size TA....bright, plays really well and the effects are really cool. Totally impressed with the quality, and i'm a Martin guy for the most part.

I may sell it or trade it for something else soon, but i have really enjoyed this guitar and in the burst, it looks pretty good, too.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:33 AM

I had the FS-TA for a few weeks but traded up to the LS-TA. Both are pretty decent guitars. My main complaint about the FS-TA was the narrow string spacing. The LS-TA has a wider nut and feels more comfy. Also nice to have an all-solid guitar for $1000.

Both seemed a bit bright. Not horribly so, but takes a little getting used to.

Action on the FS-TA was high at the nut, LS-TA higher than I'd like, but not too bad.

If you are looking at the FS-TA, I would suggest looking at the LS-TA instead. The ARE enhanced top, 5 piece neck, wider string spacing, and all solid construction make it a great bang for the buck guitar. Improvement in tone is also worth the price of admission. The Transacoustic system on both is fun, but I prefer the Tonewood amp, which is more tweakable and can be moved between different guitars. Still, the built-in Transacoustic system is simple to use and gets the job done.

The LS-16 is the same as the LS-TA without the transacoustic system, and costs $200 less, which is a great price for what you are getting. You can easily add the tonewood amp later (and use it on other guitars as well). Pickup on the LS-16 is passive, so no onboard controls (see below).

Onboard pickup on LS-TA and FS-TA gets the job done, but tonal adjustment, notch filters, and such would need to be handled at the PA or by an external preamp or pedal. The only control you have on the instrument is a volume control.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion