The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Ashley!! I live in the northeast tip of the state, but I've played in Nashville several times at Bobby's Idle Hour and the Commodore. I think you'll really like it here, but you'll probably end up buying a few more guitars because of this site.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-05-2019, 01:21 PM

The best pickup system I've ever come across is a Fishman USP with a Fishman Aura. It works well live and for recording. I have been building and repairing guitars almost 30 years now and would always steer people away from USP's because they sounded quaky and horrible. A local musician and music store owner turned me on to the Aura about a year ago and now my views on USP's have completely changed but only if used with the Aura.

Do I sound like a salesman? Ok I will stop

I do like the K and K's too.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySofia View Post
My other problem is my guitar. I've got a Taylor 814ce and it's so beautiful and resonates so gorgeously unplugged, but my Taylor Factory pickup makes it sound buzzy or plastic-y, or sort of like a tin can. Do any of you have advice for this or can you recommend a good pickup for my model of guitar? I've had it fixed twice and I think it (desperately) needs to be replaced entirely.
Welcome to the forum, Ashley. I enjoyed your video.

You may get more response to your pickup question on the <Acoustic Amplification> sub-forum.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:29 PM

As far as Im concerned music died in 1981. I love the 60-70's and live thru it. The video overall was great and your part in it also. You did a good job. The sound overall was very professional but I think your voice is too good for rock, it needs some edge. It sounds more like country but the accoumpanyment doesnt. Think Linda Ronstadt with "youre no good" She had a great voice but she put an edge on her songs when it suited. Every female rocker of the 60-70's that I can think of had an edgy voice. The songwriting of the video was super and could be a little simpler for more widespread appeal. I think you should have taken the deal and once you got your foot in the door put more of yourself in it.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Well if that isn't the best introduction I've seen around here!
Welcome aboard!
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Welcome Ashley, thanks for sharing your music and background here; I share your musical interests regarding the 1960s and 1970s and agree it was a great and complex time for music in America.

Every time I go into a store or shopping mall I hear some favourite old tunes in the context of crowds and have become aware how the repetitiveness of the older classics can become mind numbing and considering the nature of youth I can understand the rebellion against it.

For me, the philosophy of that era is of most interest as well as the contradictions it has raised.

Welcome aboard, keep singing, recording and playing that guitar and you should go far.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Love your guitar rhythm playing! Absolutely reminds me of the fun days of the 60's & 70's. Simply "Fun"
Don't listen to the record industry...They also told everyone else that they would not make it. They told the Beatles they were no good...and it was only at the insistence of the biggest record store, that they gave them 8 hours in the studio. And the rest is history. And there are countless other stories very similar.
I understood all of your lyrics and they great. Just keep on being yourself.
As far as I am concerned...you have already made it. Count me in as a fan.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Smile

Welcome to the AGF Ashley.

Sly Stallone was living out of his car when he was trying to get Rocky made. He was offered 150k for the screenplay with the caveat that they chose the cast and they did not want him as the lead character.

You can see how bad sticking to his guns went for him. Stay true to your vision and we wish you the best.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Default "Too smart" for Nashville....?!

Come on down to Athens, it's a great music town and we've had just a few groups come out of here that you might recognize. REM, B52s, Leo Kottke, Widespread Panic, Pylon, Carolyn Aiken, Drive By Truckers, Hindu Love Gods, Five Eight, just to name a few.

Smaller and more personable than Nashville, IMHO. It's a great town with a strong music culture and wonderful people.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

What a wonderful intro and historical background. Your song and recording is absolutely superb! So glad you found the forum. Post often and let us know how we can offer insight, or offer insight to those of us who have plenty to learn from you!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 PM

If you want the best possible sound for your guitar on your albums any decent mic will beat any of the usual suspect pickups - mag, UST, SBT. But if you're cutting tracks your producer probably already told you that.

I did grow up in the 60's and 70's. I guess a backward look through nostalgia filters out a lot of the dross and fluff that those of us who were there living it real time had to plow through. Just for kicks check out what was actually played on commercial radio back then.

Being in Nashville you're probably aware of Americana - the genre that captures today's version of the old Eagles/Poco/Gram Parsons/Pure Prairie League/CSN (Y)/etc. Your best labels for that sound currently are Rounder, Bloodshot and Oh Boy.
You're better off in Austin if you want to be noticed in that genre. But the competition is real tough there too.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi Ashley! Welcome to the AGF. As others have stated, great intro, song/writing, playing, recording and performance. You seem to have it all goin’ on. Feel free to post more videos in the “Show & Tell” subforum, and as one member suggested, also make a brief post about your pickup question in the “Acoustic Amplification” subforum. I’ve had my 814c since I ordered it new in ‘02 without any pickup or holes. I’ve since installed a Baggs Anthem and like it, but I’m nowhere near as “out there” performing as you are. You’ve got the spirit and skills to be very successful.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Welcome Ashley, great video.

If this song is too "intelligent for the masses," I worry about the masses.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Very nice and refreshing tune as well as nice video montage.
Congratulation for your great work : You have it all for a great career !

Sure Taylor Expression System may not be great depending of the birthday of your guitar (original ES or ES II?).
Anyway, if you want to change it you will need and experienced guitar tech as you may have to unbolt the neck to take out a mic hidden under its body end.

K&K combo (intalled by 2007) does great on my Taylor 510; LRBaggs combo also used to perform well on my Martin D-35.

I have no experience with more recent two or three parts combo.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Hi Ashley!
I love your passion and your unwillingness to sell out. Good to know that the spirit of the 60's lives on in some young people!

Really enjoyed your video and your song. The subject matter is age old, but the metaphor about the girl with the rainbow and the colorblind boy is fresh! Well done! "Crying into some craft beer" is funny and pins down the time.

Girl, you're a force to be reckoned with and it will be fun to watch your trajectory!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion