The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Default I have arrived...

I went to the mailbox and got something that signified that I have entered a new chapter of my life: I got my AARP application.

It's kind of humbling. I turned 50 on July 16th. My dad didn't live to see 40, but I'm trying to continue to look forward and not back. I have a lot more life to live and I'm choosing not to live it in shame.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I went to the mailbox and got something that signified that I have entered a new chapter of my life: I got my AARP application.

It's kind of humbling. I turned 50 on July 16th. My dad didn't live to see 40, but I'm trying to continue to look forward and not back. I have a lot more life to live and I'm choosing not to live it in shame.
I turned 57 on July 16!
Old 07-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations I can remember when my wife got her first mailer from AARP and she threw is disgustedly into the trash feeling insulted. Fast Forward 20 years and we both welcome the lobby and the discounts. Getting old is not always easy, but it is something to celebrate.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:20 PM

Well Neil, let me tell ya - There will be a time sometime in the future where you'll be looking through the AARP Magazine and actually find the articles relevant and interesting. Then you've truly arrived!

Keep playing guitar- it keeps you young!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, congratulations Neil (I think) - I have no idea what AARP is, but Nanny Jane and I seem to be getting a lot of invitations to retirement homes lately.
(We are 71/72).
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, congratulations Neil (I think) - I have no idea what AARP is, but Nanny Jane and I seem to be getting a lot of invitations to retirement homes lately.
(We are 71/72).
My rather cynical take is that it is a marketing company that calls itself an organization of retired persons members who paid dues to be marketed to.

Yes, they have discounts, etc. but every company that is "endorsed" by the AARP has a marketing agreement and revenue to the AARP for such endorsement. And yes, they do lobby, but if you carefully monitor that, you may not always find yourself in agreement with their position that they just represented you as holding.

Some may find it useful (suck as the aforementioned magazine or the discounts) but I'll pass.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Welcome to the club, man!

Dave Barry says "AARP" is the last thing an old guy says as he dies. A little morbid, but I found it kind of funny.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

55 is more exciting. You become eligible for the IHOP discount on Wednesdays. When it happened my wife announced it with a sarcastic smile. I reminded her three years later. More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
My rather cynical take is that it is a marketing company that calls itself an organization of retired persons members who paid dues to be marketed to.

Yes, they have discounts, etc. but every company that is "endorsed" by the AARP has a marketing agreement and revenue to the AARP for such endorsement. And yes, they do lobby, but if you carefully monitor that, you may not always find yourself in agreement with their position that they just represented you as holding.

Some may find it useful (suck as the aforementioned magazine or the discounts) but I'll pass.
Ah, like this : www.saga.co.uk (but with no membership fees)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

That is very thought provoking What is the shame?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:00 PM

AARP is a big time insurance marketing outfit among other lobbying projects that might be opposite how you think! Here in Michigan the motel discount is required of all motels if you are a senior, you don't have to be a member of AARP. I'm pretty sure most other states are the same!

Fog
Old 07-28-2019, 05:04 PM

I'm on their mailing list. I'd mark it RTs but I'm all about them spending as much as they can with the USPS. If they caught onto me and struck my name from their list I'd be doing the USPS a disservice.

I look at their travel guides and it's a hoot. All of them are glossy come-ons modeling old people with Cheshire Cat grins.

I was on a business council for a town I owned a restaurant in. Its membership was the over-the-hill gang of conservative stuffed shirts who collectively gasped at the thought of soliciting young people to bring their (spirited) influence to the town. They were only interested in surrounding themselves with themselves. I had to baby talk them: "What if your sons and daughters were entrepreneurs who could bring prosperity to the town?" I ended up being the guy who had to get the council motivated to do what it was supposed to do for the town versus to the town.

Stay young, Neil.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:

You only get one life. Might as well live it!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM

Been receiving them for 13 years. Still haven't joined, still haven't retired!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I joined way back when I was a punk like you I am in agreement with most all of what they do and reup when ever need be. Plus the news paper they send me can be enlightening at times.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic