The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
No... We're neither talking about one's guitar or kidney... We're talking about one's WORD and how much value THAT has.
I agree. These days it seems this concept is lost to many, but IMO, a man is still only as good as his word.

Ask the buyer if it is bothering you that much. If they are fine with it, no harm, no foul. Otherwise I think it is somewhat bogus.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
Of course. I did say it’s not right didn’t I? Honestly is the best policy and I don’t see why one would lie in that situation. The buyer would understand.
Yes, you did say that it’s not right...yet, the BUT that followed that statement implied otherwise. It could have been misinterpreted. Either way I agree that honesty is always the best policy...in ANY situation.

Last edited by PTony; 07-21-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
...I obviously don't think it is wrong. Furthermore, nothing regarding behavior is as simple as a straight up dichotomy like that you either always do x or you never do y.
Actually it generally is if you always try to do the right thing. Everything else is .... wrong.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
To me, this thread highlights why I wouldn't do business through the AGF as my grandfather always used to say don't business with friends or family. You add money and people get weird. Many of you seem like wonderful people yet you're out here questioning people's character and swearing never to do business with them over one single post.

No one is talking about willfully deceiving someone it's a discussion of when is a transaction guaranteed and most seem to agree it's when the item is handed over for the money. They aren't setting out at the beginning to hurt your feelings, there's no maliciousness to their actions, chill.

At the end of the day, it's one single transaction, not the cornerstone of your friendship with the person.

Common sense...what a concept....
Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Actually it generally is if you always try to do the right thing. Everything else is .... wrong.
Not that simple at all actually, as you said yourself it comes down to "trying to do the right thing" so the morality of the thing would come back to his intentions (if you buy into Kantian ethics as most westerners do and your post implies). Which is what I've been saying from the beginning this isn't an argument between scrupulous and unscrupulous people, its an argument between people who think it comes down to when money changes hands and people who think it comes down to when you agree by chat, but to me, the chat is never binding in a used sale. There are always extenuating circumstances so you might as well just say when money is exchanged for the object.

Now to wax a little philosophically, on the flip side of that, the dichotomy still doesn't hold, if you are either someone who "always tries to do the right thing" or someone who does what is "wrong" then we're all people who do what is "wrong."
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 07-21-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Not that simple at all actually.......its an argument between people who think it comes down to when money changes hands and people who think it comes down to when you agree by chat, but to me, the chat is never binding in a used sale. There are always extenuating circumstances ....
Again, it is that simple - do the right thing. Backing out of a deal, without good reason, (not because you change your mind) is wrong.

Then your position of when YOU believe a deal is struck - doesn't mean you're correct just because that's your belief. Finally, there are not "always" extenuating circumstances. You are always allowed your beliefs - but again - that doesn't make it correct or right.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 PM

I had an experience along these lines.

I had a Taylor 210 (the early version that was all-solid and made in California) but found what I felt was a great deal on a Taylor 410 at a local store. A friend of mine had expressed interest in buying a Taylor guitar, so I floated the idea of selling him my 210 so I could buy the 410. He liked my guitar, so he agreed. I bought the 410 and it seemed like it was a win-win for everyone.

That was until I got home with the 410 and realized it just didn’t match up to the 210. The guitar just didn’t have what I loved about the 210, and I realized I’d made a huge mistake. I also realized it might not be too late to correct it. I called the guitar shop and spoke with the guy who’d sold me the guitar. He kindly agreed to take the 410 back and refund my money minus a small restocking fee. I then called my friend and asked if he believed in repentance. He said he figured I’d change my mind and that he enjoyed playing my guitar for a couple days. I gave him his money back plus another $50–100, which I had to repeatedly insist he take.

Not long afterwards, I found a 310 at another local shop that was going in a different direction with their inventory and selling their Taylors at what had to have been wholesale prices. I let my friend know and came back with him to buy it — he didn’t pay much more than he’d given me for my 210 and got a brand new Taylor that was right there with my 210 in tone and cosmetically a bit better.

The lesson I learned at that time cost me $100–200, but I’m glad everyone involved was chill enough and understanding enough to help it end well. I still have that Taylor 210 and it still gets played a lot despite sharing time with a couple guitars that are worth 3–5 times as much.

Moral of the story: if you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone, sometimes there’s still time to get it back, but it might cost you a little extra

Last edited by ataylor; 07-21-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Then your position of when YOU believe a deal is struck - doesn't mean you're correct just because that's your belief. Finally, there are not "always" extenuating circumstances. You are always allowed your beliefs - but again - that doesn't make it correct or right.
Never said it did, but the fact that you believe the opposite doesn't mean that you're automatically right. I'm not the one calling people out for being "wrong" or dishonest or whatever, you are, so it seems the burden of proof would fall to you. You're certainly allowed to your beliefs, but if you want to inflict them on others, you ought to bring some evidence.

In asking about trade ethics it seems to me that the best metric we have is to look to what the majority of traders believe, unless someone can suggest another source. In this case, although I haven't counted, it would seem that most thing it is okay to cancel it if no money has changed hands yet.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Vindibona and Joel nailed it. And I’ll add that backing out of deals is also indicative of a wishy-washy non-serious individual. I prefer dealing with serious and decisive, thank you.
Yes, an echo from me. It depends upon the level of commitment that has been made between the two of you.

A verbal contract is legal as someone pointed out. But it is almost impossible to enforce and trying to do so is a way to get yourself laughed at. You are basically off the hook - legally.

But morally, it is another matter. Only you and the buyer can decide if it is morally correct to back out. If it were me, I'd want to make sure the buyer concurred. But then if it were me, I go through with it anyhow and kick myself for making a mistake.

But it may not be the big mistake that you now think it is. Remember, you originally wanted to sell it - why? Does that reason still stand?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Probably. If they have already paid you I would be very apologetic. You could always make up an excuse that you found a crack or something and can't sell it. On the other hand you can just tell the truth that you had second thoughts. If you still feel guilty give them an extra $20 on the refund.
Ok, to recap, you first said to try these things:

1. Be nice
2. Lie to him
3.Try the truth
5.Offer cash

I'd just go with#1, #3, and if necessary #5, right out of the gate and see where that takes you. Thanks for the tips on dealing with a buyer!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-21-2019, 09:12 PM

I look askance on folks who’s moral compass always seems to point to what benefits them
(And out)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
No... We're neither talking about one's guitar or kidney... We're talking about one's WORD and how much value THAT has.
😁 yes I agree ☝️ integrity is what is being discussed! IMHO!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:58 AM

In my world the item isn’t sold until money changes hands (accounts). I would feel no obligation to explain. That said, I don’t put an item up for sale unless I WANT to be rid of it.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I know it may be considered heresy on AGF--- BUT it's just a guitar

There really are lots and lots of good guitars out in the big wide world (which is true for both the seller and the buyer)

Regardless of the declaratives being offered from both perspectives.
For me I would not renege on a struck deal.
Of course I would not offer a "Keeper" for sale in the first place (kind of a complete contradiction in terms)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yes, it is. Come on people, we're talking about a guitar, not a kidney...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I know it may be considered heresy on AGF--- BUT it's just a guitar...
Exactly my previously intended point...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic