The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2019, 03:48 AM

I got the guitar new about a week ago. It still has the factory steel strings on it, but I'm going to change per Michel's advice. The guitar sounds pretty darned good now, but he said it will have a better acoustic sound with Phosphor Bronze strings. I'll be using the guitar for acoustic only, blending in the humbucker to taste. It works really well, and sounds great through my Genzler Line Array Pro amp.

Last edited by Spenceroo; 08-03-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Well I’ve had the Doyle Dykes Multiac about a month now and must say that I just love it. I’ve played out with it three or four times a week over this past month and both the playability and the sound it makes are just superb. Amazingly, I like the sound I am getting out of it myself far more than what I heard on any of the demos. Doyle Dykes plays circles around me and the sound he dials in is appropriately twangy for the music he plays. I’ve been going for a more acoustic jazzy sound and this guitar has been delivering exactly that!

It is just so easy to play. Very much like an electric. The scale is ever so slightly shortened and I find myself fingering things with ease that were always a little tough. The balance is perfect and my hands seem to naturally fall exactly where they are supposed to be. On a dark stage, the white binding and fretboard markers are easy to see. I feel like the black design shows of what my fingers are doing. The amplified sound is just wonderful! Because it is so feedback resistant, I find myself getting the soundman to turn it up a bit louder. This lets me do broader dynamics than I ever have before. I just love this instrument!
Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Well I’ve had the Doyle Dykes Multiac about a month now and must say that I just love it. I’ve played out with it three or four times a week over this past month and both the playability and the sound it makes are just superb. Amazingly, I like the sound I am getting out of it myself far more than what I heard on any of the demos. Doyle Dykes plays circles around me and the sound he dials in is appropriately twangy for the music he plays. I’ve been going for a more acoustic jazzy sound and this guitar has been delivering exactly that!

It is just so easy to play. Very much like an electric. The scale is ever so slightly shortened and I find myself fingering things with ease that were always a little tough. The balance is perfect and my hands seem to naturally fall exactly where they are supposed to be. On a dark stage, the white binding and fretboard markers are easy to see. I feel like the black design shows of what my fingers are doing. The amplified sound is just wonderful! Because it is so feedback resistant, I find myself getting the soundman to turn it up a bit louder. This lets me do broader dynamics than I ever have before. I just love this instrument!
Thanks for the follow-up. Lots of information there. Are you still finding that you prefer not employing the Session EFX at all?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the follow-up. Lots of information there. Are you still finding that you prefer not employing the Session EFX at all?

Mostly I’m not using it. I think that maybe I just don’t like it on the Lyric mic. It’s kind of cool if I use it on just the pickup and play bluesy stuff.

I remember liking a bit of grit on guitar pickups before I started using dual mic/pickup systems.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Mostly I’m not using it. I think that maybe I just don’t like it on the Lyric mic. It’s kind of cool if I use it on just the pickup and play bluesy stuff.

I remember liking a bit of grit on guitar pickups before I started using dual mic/pickup systems.
That observation would be consistent with the fact that the only Baggs aftermarket pickup system which includes session EFX is the Element UST-based Session VTC system. Perhaps the Baggs folks have noticed that the Session EFX do more to enhance an Element UST signal than an Anthem or Lyric signal.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Maybe if they put the Session DI effect on just the LB6 it would have been better. The effect does rein in the high and low frequencies and seems to sound better over house PA systems than it does on my own pristine sounding equipment.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Here is a video of me playing the Godwin Doyle Dykes Signature which I posted in the “Show and Tell” forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=558440
Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 AM

Now that I’ve had it a few months, I think my favorite thing about the Godin is how it looks on me. I’ve got a bit of a stomach and the thin body of the guitar (especially in black) seems to cover that and sit where it should when I play standing up. Contrast to my Martin dread which adds its own bulk to mine and sits way out from my body and makes us both look sort of enormous.

Yeah, I know. This is pretty “shallow”! ;-)
Old 09-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Here is a video of me playing the Godwin Doyle Dykes Signature which I posted in the “Show and Tell” forum:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=558440
"She knows what I'm trying to say."

It would be useless to ask for any more than that. Thanks for following up on your adventures with this guitar.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
"She knows what I'm trying to say."

It would be useless to ask for any more than that. Thanks for following up on your adventures with this guitar.

You made it through the whole song! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

The Godin Multiac Doyle Dykes Signature Edition is one gorgeously-shaped guitar!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Godin Multiac Doyle Dykes Signature Edition is one gorgeously-shaped guitar!
I never really cared about that before, but now that I have it, yeah, I really like that. Gorgeous, and belly hiding...
Old 09-22-2019, 02:05 PM

Ok, it's the little things. On the Good DD Sig, the headstock is a little spread out and the line of the neck stretches for about 3/4" before becoming a headstock. I believe the reason for this is so that Doyle Dykes can do those little open string bends that he likes.

I don't do open string bends, but that little bit of extra space between the nut and the headstock lets me slide my Paige capo a little more out of the way when it is stored above the nut. It wasn't intentional, but I really like this and it makes storing the capo this way more practical!
Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM

One negative. There are a couple of open mics that choose to forgone the use of a directbox and plug in straight to the board. As anyone with experience in this knows, this can sometimes lead to an impedance mismatch. Some guitars sound fine. For others it reduces their volume and makes them sound tinny. Usually it is the guitars with passive pickups that suffer most.

Anyway, I have found this to be a problem at several of the open mics I attend with the Godin. If I plug-in an effects box or guitar preamp it is fine, but it is a pain to have to do this.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
One negative. There are a couple of open mics that choose to forgone the use of a directbox and plug in straight to the board. As anyone with experience in this knows, this can sometimes lead to an impedance mismatch. Some guitars sound fine. For others it reduces their volume and makes them sound tinny. Usually it is the guitars with passive pickups that suffer most.

Anyway, I have found this to be a problem at several of the open mics I attend with the Godin. If I plug-in an effects box or guitar preamp it is fine, but it is a pain to have to do this.
That is a curious observation. You wouldn't expect that kind of issue with an active system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification