The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2002, 06:16 AM

Default Any "3 finger pinky anchor pattern picker" trying to convert to a "4 finger floater&q

I learned to play guitar 38 years ago to Peter Paul and Mary and started off with the thumb and 2 finger Travis-style pattern pick with my pinky or ring finger planted below the soundhole. This style is prevelant thru all of their early stuff and I still like it and all. But the last couple of years as I have been reading and trying to get better I have become convinced I need to use that ring finger on the strings and "unplant" myself from the guitar. Fine. I can do that on some stuff. But I struggle trying to do it on the old stuff. I just dragged out "Dont think Twice Its Alright" which I havent played in years but sounds nice the way PPM did it.....

....but I cant do it the four finger way...I rock the old 3 finger way.

Anyone have similar struggles? Is ok to mix styles? (I dont think it much matters if its "ok" or not...just thought Id ask)

Bob
Old 02-27-2002, 06:21 AM

Hey Bob,

Your Ok, I'm Ok and any style that works is alright. If it sounds good to you thats what matters. If it doesn't the guitar police will come and lock your sorrie arse up. Just kidding.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:35 AM

Hi Bob, I tried to anchor my little finger. But I have small hands and short fingers.My wrist became my anchor as I dampened the bass string, when I travis pick with three fingers. After alittle practice try lifting your wrist alittle to clear the bass strings for a more fuller bass. The dampen bass sounds great if you play any country blues songs. Good luck.

Paul
Old 02-27-2002, 10:54 AM

Bob, I think your main problem is that you're trying to re-work songs that you've been playing all your life, and that takes time and patience. There's new wiring going on in your brain, both musically and mechanically, so slow down to a point where you can do it smoothly, even if it sounds like the record player is set for 16-1/2 (remember that setting?). Speed up only as much as smooth playing will allow, and before long you'll have that four-finger pattern working just like the three.

Of course, there are some who say you should never anchor a finger on the top. With all due respect, my response is "Hey, it's folk music."
Old 02-27-2002, 02:32 PM

I tried to switch to the "four-finger floater" a couple of years ago when I was taking some guitar lessons. The instructor tortured me about my anchor finger and tried his level best to make me stop using it. Didn't work. I ended-up bagging the lessons and playing like I bloody-well wanted to.

I'm way too old and set in my ways to change a 32 year bad habit.

By the way, my three-finger folk picking/back-strum style of playing sounds just fine to me. To hell with proper form.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:16 AM

And I thought I was the only one. Not only do I plant my pinky; I wrap my left thumb. If I try to "float" my right hand, I end up knocking flower pots off the end tables.
I believe it's ok to mix styles and use what works. I really admire you for the discipline it must have taken to learn what you have in the "floating" style. Use what you have.
If you are REALLY determined - here's a tricky approach to your old PPM stuff - transpose to a different key and learn it all over in your new 4 finger style.
It's funny, but I never played fingerstyle, and was determined to learn. Having never taken lessons, I decided it was time. I went to the Chicago Old Town School of Folk Music, and ended up getting about 5 months worth of lessons from Muriel Anderson, who was not yet famous. Having NEVER fingerpicked, I naturally anchored the pinky. She told me I shouldn't, but the anchor was set from the start. Couldn't break the habit.
I guess that's why she is succesful and I'm not.
It's all good.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:28 PM

Hey Dog: Isn't Muriel great? She's a regular instructor at the week-long guitar camp I go to every summer. I've sat around with her and a few other people 'till the wee hours playing music, drinking a little wine and just having one of those REAL good times.

I asked her to play both my 615 and my JF55-12 Guild 12 string jumbo, hoping a little mojo would rub off into my guitars. It was funny watching her play them 'cause both those jumbo guitars are nearly as big as she is. But play them she did, like they've never been played before.

I'm still looking for the mojo. I know it's in there somewhere.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:27 PM

She's one of those that can really inspire. She grew up around here, and returns to her high school for a Thanksgiving weekend show every year. Hardly ever miss it. I could listen to her play the Charlie Brown Christmas theme over and over. Mojo for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell