The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-24-2001, 01:04 AM

Question Nashville High String Tuning

Hey, just got on the new forum, looks great. Does anybody know what's known as Nashville high string tuning? Now that I've got two acoustics I thought I'd fool around a bit (w/ tuning my guitars, that is...) - I read about Nashville high tuning once, but don't remember what it was exactly - had something to do w/ maybe using the high G that comes w/ a 12 string set. This tuning was supposedly used by Keith Richards on "Wild Horses". Also, just for fun, does anybody know the semi-drop D tuning Keith uses on his electric - involves dropping I think the E's both down to D, but something else changes I think...enables him to get all those double 4-6 suspensions - Thanks, this is jazzer
Old 12-24-2001, 08:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Nashville Tuning is when you use the entire higher octave set for the lower 4 bass strings, not just the G string. AFA Kieth richards goes, I think he drops the high E but removes the low E entirely, thus playing a 5 string guitar. Hmmm, one less string..gotta be easier!

James
Old 12-24-2001, 09:40 AM

Smile

this is the thread.....

Keith Richards uses open G tuning very often....

from low to high it is

DGDGBD...

it's called open G because the notes G,B, and D form a G major chord....

I believe he actually has some of his guitars built as 5 strings....leaving the low string off....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 01-11-2002, 09:43 AM

Yes, Keith normally removes the bottom E string on his Teles for his open G songs, rather than tune that string down to D. When I play open G songs, I ignore the bottom E string entirely, I don't even bother to tune it down to D. I just don't play it at all.

After the "Let it Bleed" album, he rarely used any other tuning besides open G. The open G tunes are too numerous to mention, but a few of the more popular ones are Honky Tonk Women, Happy (with a capo), Tumbling Dice (another capo), Can't Always Get What You Want (capo), Start Me Up, Before They Make Me Run, Wild Horses, Brown Sugar (although Mick claims to have written the music for that one), Mixed Emotions, pretty much everything.

He used other opening tunings as well. Jumping Jack Flash was open E, and so was Street Fighting Man. But mostly, it's open G, even up until today. That's why many of their tunes of the last 10 years sound like the same tune over and over again. Hey, there's only so much mileage you can get out of those chord shapes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell