The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Default you go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Very Interesting. I wonder how this would fit into the BagAmp, SoloAmp, Bose L1 discussions. Nah!!! Probably shouldn't go there.
BOB! go there..just what I am asking about
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp352 View Post
BOB! go there..just what I am asking about
That was kind of a joke. There have been several BagAmp threads deleted.

I'm leaning toward the K8 with a Jamman and a Harmony G2-XT harmonizer which can be used to add effects and as a mixer. Maybe later get a small Yamaha mixer if I ever hook up as a duo or trio.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 AM

I wish there was more discussion of these speakers in actual live use in comparison to the "other" portable systems out there. I keep bouncing back towards these.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wish there was more discussion of these speakers in actual live use in comparison to the "other" portable systems out there. I keep bouncing back towards these.
My local Guitar Center Pro Sound department manager can't seem to get any QSC K Series speakers in for demo purposes and I'm assuming many GC stores are in a similar situation. I'm thinking these speakers are selling themselves via many of QSC's dealers, including Guitar Center, and thus, they're being ordered without the need for demo units by many folks based on QSC's marketing and word-of-mouth from users who've already gotten them.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Was at GC today and they only had the K12 in the showroom. I didn't even bother to ask because, honestly, I hate that store and the service they have.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was at GC today and they only had the K12 in the showroom. I didn't even bother to ask because, honestly, I hate that store and the service they have.
Hi BoB,

A QSC K Series speaker is something I'd think about if I wasn't going to buy a SoloAmp, BagAmp or Bose L1 Compact. Of course, you need to feed it with a small mixer, which you have, to get more channel inputs and effects, but a QSC K Series speaker is a compact, lightweight but powerful sound source and may be a good choice for you. Sadly, it ain't a line array! If I had the chance to audition one, like you do, I'd take it! You don't have to buy from GC, although they'll probably have some factory-fresh, unopened ones in the stockroom for your ease of mind. Being that QSC seems to be a strict pricing item and doesn't show-up on sales lists, I don't think you'll get one any cheaper by attempting to buy one elsewhere.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi BoB,

A QSC K Series speaker is something I'd think about if I wasn't going to buy a SoloAmp, BagAmp or Bose L1 Compact. Of course, you need to feed it with a small mixer, which you have, to get more channel inputs and effects, but a QSC K Series speaker is a compact, lightweight but powerful sound source and may be a good choice for you. Sadly, it ain't a line array! If I had the chance to audition one, like you do, I'd take it! You don't have to buy from GC, although they'll probably have some factory-fresh, unopened ones in the stockroom for your ease of mind. Being that QSC seems to be a strict pricing item and doesn't show-up on sales lists, I don't think you'll get one any cheaper by attempting to buy one elsewhere.

Regards,

SpruceTop
My "small mixer" is a powered mixer that I would sell and probably get something like this: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--YAMMG124CX which would easily handle a trio (if it went that big) and/or guest that show up to play or sing. (Possibly the next one smaller) This size would also handle a band.

I have a particular mental problem. I have long seen too many great bands with great musicians with great "individual gear" and then sub par PA equipment which puts the kabash on the overall sound. I spent some time building a fairly quality system for a quality sounding Corporate Party type of band so as to sound "overall" better than the typical bar band. You don't have to necessarily be better. Just have to sound better.
This mentality is hard to shake. I find it hard to be part of something where I just worry about my sound and leave the rest up to the others in a project (even an Acoustic project) That is my best reasoning for being concerned with what I ultimately end up with. Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My "small mixer" is a powered mixer that I would sell and probably get something like this: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--YAMMG124CX which would easily handle a trio (if it went that big) and/or guest that show up to play or sing. (Possibly the next one smaller) This size would also handle a band.

I have a particular mental problem. I have long seen too many great bands with great musicians with great "individual gear" and then sub par PA equipment which puts the kabash on the overall sound. I spent some time building a fairly quality system for a quality sounding Corporate Party type of band so as to sound "overall" better than the typical bar band. You don't have to necessarily be better. Just have to sound better.
This mentality is hard to shake. I find it hard to be part of something where I just worry about my sound and leave the rest up to the others in a project (even an Acoustic project) That is my best reasoning for being concerned with what I ultimately end up with. Hope that makes some kind of sense.
It makes a lot of sense! It's like showing up at a stylish party in a tuxedo and others show up wearing jeans and t-shirts! The problem is that you want and will get the best equipment you can afford but will your bandmates do the same? Some will, some won't and that sucks because now your whole band's sound gets dragged down by one or two who attempt to play on the cheap. Out of a sense of pride, that can put the burden on you to acquire most or all of the actual sound-system gear, therefore, if it's understood by all that you've outlaid the cash for the gear, your share of the band's take each night should be the biggest because, in essence, the other members are renting the equipment from you. Sometimes though, some bandmates may not see it that way.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 AM

From my observations on using qsc k12's personally I would opt for 10's before 8's for the following reasons...

Bottom End...even with the deep switch engaged the k12 requires more eq'ing to clean up the low frequencies than using a separate subwoofer, so I can only assume the smaller the speaker the harder to get the lows shaped clearly?

Dispersion...we run our FOH speakers at the back of the stage quite often for lower volume to reasonabley loud gigs so we don't require separate foldback, feedback hasn't been a real issue and by the time the sound reaches the front of the stage good coverage is achieved, again this is with 12's but 10's would cover a wider area quicker.

Foldback...Having the option of using the speakers on the floor adds flexibility to my system. If we take a bigger FOH rig then the 12's make for excellent foldback that I can happily and easily hear all night. 10's have the built in "feet" 8's do not and the wider dispersion in this instance can be detrimental.

I have 4 k12's and will most likely get another 4 soon, I have had all different size cabs before but the flexibility of having 1 size (k12's) allows me more options for PA jobs, ie 8 speakers across a room for corporate speaking, 2 tops each side for outdoor FOH, 4 foldback sends...the only thing I would avoid using them for would be drum fill unless there was a xover and sub involved....

lovin' qsc's!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Well that was all a blast from the past. A lot has happened in a year. I had shoulder surgery the first week in January and put my decisions on hold for several months.

I ended up buying a slightly used pair of K8's and a ZED12FX. I probably would have decided on K10's except I had gotten a very good deal on the K8's.
After a few months I felt the K8's were not throwing deep enough in a decent size room. It's like the sound fell short. I decided to go to a larger speaker. After some concern "for me" on the "conical design" of the K series I decided to look elsewhere for brands. I was already very familiar with the EV SX100 and the SxA100 as a very nuetral and natural balance sounding speaker but after having a "1000 Watt" speaker in the K8 couldn't possibly bring myself to settle for such miniscule power and found the SxA360 (which is actually lighter than the SxA100) The weight issue kept me from considering other brand 12's.
After much reading of forums and reviews I took a chance and ordered a pair and did s side by side with the K8's (which might not have been fair with an 8" vs. a 12") The EV's easily won me over.
Just last week I sold off one of my K8's (let's say I made out pretty decently) and will keep one K8 to use as a monitor (check the K8 monitor thread), as a backyard bbq boombox, and as a portable setup with a deep cycle battery and inverter. (pics will be posted within a few months once it's all set)

Very happy presently with this setup. Would love to hear the SxA360 in a side by side with a K12 sometime.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Kicking to the top. I've been using a Fishman Soloamp quite successfully for the past 2-3 years ...since they came out. But I have found the 'throw' of the Soloamp and the fullness falls off rather quickly. The tonal falloff matters more to me more than the audience perhaps. But I want the sound to be rich and full a bit fruther into the room.

So I am now considering QSC K10's. I wanted to go with K8's, but I like the idea of the deeper bass of the K10, and dispersion pattern of the K10 (90 degrees) may feedback less and throw farther than the K8 (105 degrees).

Lastly, I can use the K10 as a floor monitor / foldback for other needs. The K12's seem a bit large, heavy and overkill for my primarily solo acoustic/vocal act.

I've even noticed some upright bassists are using K10's for their doghouse bass. (I play bass too) So the K10 seems like the magic balance of size/weight and performance.

Sidebar: I will probably get an Allen & Heath Zed10 Fx Mixer as well. Just need to figure out where to mount/place it. Is there any sort of mic stand shelf that would work easily I wonder?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM

My EV SxA360's are only 35 lbs and the 12's are FAT sounding and they sure cut through the room. Just saying.........................
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Weigh in, gents. I'm considering adding a K10 to my SoloAmp for an external speaker, sometimes monitor, etc. It would also make a fine "at home" amp for looping experiments and whatnot. However, I'm thinking that an AER Compact 60 sounds pretty good, too. But would it work as an external speaker as well?

Thoughts? Help! Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM

I really like my pair of K8 for an acoustic duo for indoors or outdoor venues. I heard a solo guitar vocalist with K12 indoors and I thought she sounded way too bassy although that may have been due to the way she wanted to sound and not the speakers natural flat sound
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disguiseglasses View Post
However, I'm thinking that an AER Compact 60 sounds pretty good, too. But would it work as an external speaker as well?
I have a single K-8. Before buying it, I also considered and tested an AER C60 as well as other AER amps.

To me, the C60 cuts of the bass frequencies to early. But it might be ok if you just play standard tuning and don't do percussion on the guitar. I like the Acousticube, but it's quite expensive.

Of course the K-8 can be much louder than the even smaller C60. It also has a wider dispersion pattern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification