The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Is something wrong with my Loudbox Artist?

I plug a K and K equipped guitar (two of them) into a Loudbox Aritist. If I set the gain as suggested (strum hard to clip, then back it off a bit), I can't bring the volume up above a crack or it gets LOUD AND NOISY. I have to back the gain way off to bring the volume up even to say 10 o'clock.
Both guitars behave the same.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Scott
Old 08-15-2019, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

The k&k is just a hot pickup. I have a loud box mini and an SA330... same deal. Compared to my Baggs M1 passive, the k&k is easily twice as hot or more.

Perhaps a buffer will help...like the k&k DI box... I use that, or another DI like the Fire Eye.

It’s not you.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:55 AM

Default Have the same issue with Taylor ES2...

The slightest increase of the master volume and it’s way too loud. Just lower the gain or engage the 10dB pad switch (push the clipping light in). The early ES2 pickups are notoriously hot. I haven’t had this issue with other pickups.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Push the pad button in on the Artist.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:19 AM

I understand pushing the pad button. But, does that not defeat the purpose of the using the gain knob to set a 'desirable" setting, and useing volume to set loudness? Does not turning the gain way back affect the quality of the pickup sound?
To answer another question, I put a Red-Eye in front of the Fishman input (guitar to red-eye to amp) and it actually made the signal a smidgen hotter. And, I can't hear any other difference in quality of sound with the
Oddly enough, the same issue exists with an SM-58. If I turn to gain knob as instructed in the manual, it is G-awful hot and unuseable.
Here is the response I got from Fishman: "Hello,
The best way to use the amp is to turn the master volume up to about 12 o clock. Then turn the gain up slowly until you hit a desired volume. If this is too loud then start with the master at the 10 or 9 o'clock position. Remember to keep the master adjusted higher than the gain. Otherwise your amp will start clipping / distorting. Thanks. "

Further direct contact with them indicates that is the way to set up a Fishman Amp with any pickup, regardless of pickup type.

Last edited by sbmackie; 08-15-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Red Eye in front

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
The k&k is just a hot pickup. I have a loud box mini and an SA330... same deal. Compared to my Baggs M1 passive, the k&k is easily twice as hot or more.

Perhaps a buffer will help...like the k&k DI box... I use that, or another DI like the Fire Eye.

It’s not you.
Hello,
Spoke with Darren at Fire Eye and a tech at Fishman. A/B'd the Fire Eye in and out of the signal chain. Only thing I noticed was a slightly hotter signal, requireing some down gaining or volume-ing to get under control. Maybe at a higher volume the Red Eye magic would be more noticeable? Nice to have a boost switch. Do you notice a sizeable delivered sound difference with the K and K DI vs the pre-amp in the Fishman?
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification