The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Washburn Mandolin Changed to Eastman 815v

I am not a “headstock” player or purchaser. I do not have the funds or the skill set to justify big name instrument purchases. I do have a couple American Strats, but even those are the entry tier of the Fender American offerings.

That being said, I am thrilled to announce I have a Washburn M118 F style body in the worn, tattered finish on order, supposedly to ship the end of August.

Like all my pacific rim gear it will spend some time with the good folks at the NJ School of Fretted Instruments in beautiful south Freehold for a thorough going over and killer set up. These guys are the best in NJ.

The reviews on youtube, though limited, seem positive. I like that the neck is a touch wider than the norm and the body is incrementally deeper than a regular F body mandolin.

UPDATED 8/17/19
Got an email from Guitar Center that my Washburn mandolin shipped from Kansas Thursday and is due to arrive in NJ this coming Wednesday. It’s great news because the last update said it would not ship till mid September. I can’t wait!
Pictures will follow after a complete going over and setup from the boys at Raritan Bay Repair in Freehold, NJ(aka Eastern School of Fretted Instrument Repair)

UPDATED 8/31/19
I’ve grown disenchanted with issues with Washburn(they shipped a $150 mandolin with an $850 label inside) and Guitar Center(they are still charging my card for product I never accepted).
I have however purchased a used Eastman 815v mandolin off of Reverb.com today that has already shipped from Iowa. No muss, no fuss. I should have did this to begin with. Pictures to follow after receipt and setup.

Last edited by Chickee; 08-31-2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Reworded
Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM

While you're down at the Eastern School of Fretted Instrument Repair don't forget to drop by Jersey Freeze for a Pork Roll sandwich, a Birch Beer and ice cream.
2018 Regal RD40MS
2019 Kentucky KM-606
2022 Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom
Old 08-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike66 View Post
While you're down at the Eastern School of Fretted Instrument Repair don't forget to drop by Jersey Freeze for a Pork Roll sandwich, a Birch Beer and ice cream.
That’s where The Rolling Stones should have gone, instead of the TicToc Diner, when they were here last week!😂
Old 08-31-2019, 07:08 PM

Bumped for above updates to the Washburn/Guitar Center drama...Oye
Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM

This little cookie was worth the wait. Clear, loud, easy to play and in great used condition. I spend the day yesterday learning chord shapes and the pentatonic scale shape.
My very first mandolin song played, though quite poorly I must admit, was “Back In The High Life Again” the Steve Winwood live version I like so much.

Last edited by Chickee; 09-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
...Like all my Pacific Rim gear it will spend some time with the good folks at the NJ School of Fretted Instruments in beautiful south Freehold for a thorough going over and killer set up. These guys are the best in NJ...
These guys get all my gear, regardless of origin - well worth the drive from NYC...
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
These guys get all my gear, regardless of origin - well worth the drive from NYC...
I should have worded that differently, Steve. Yes, Kyle and the gang do stupendous work on all gear no matter the origin of manufacture. I think what I was trying to convey is that whatever the monetary level of instrument, it will come back to you transformed to its most playable form. I always have a budget when buying gear, and high end big dollar purchases are not in the cards for me. But whatever I give them to work on gets the same respect and quality of service as the most expensive gear they receive. That’s what I should have said in the first place.
Frankie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments