The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 09:20 AM

Default Eastman ACTG1

First off can I say (without prejudice), that I'm not a great fan of the GS Mini if it gets mentioned. I've owned one briefly and it wasn't for me. My search for something small and easily transportable led me eventually to the Guild Jumbo Junior which is 'ok', well made but not hugely inspiring-and it needed a lot of costly work to get the frets levelled. A 'fun' guitar if you will.
So, to the Eastman; all solid woods, no electronics (not needed), minimal open-pore finish and similar dimensions to the GS, decent gig bag. Youtube videos don't tell me much, and no dealer within a reasonable and cost-effective travel distance has one for me to try.

All solid wood for a lot less money than the Taylor-£350 in the UK as opposed to around £500 for the Taylor? What's the catch (if any)? If anyone here owns one or has played one your comments are invited. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:34 AM

Doesn't sound like there is a catch. Try one out and let us know.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I've owned one for a little over two years. Before Eastman made guitars, they made classical instruments, so they know how voice smaller instruments. And this one is no exception... big voice from such a little guitar, great sustain, and reasonably fun to play. The top has darkened a bit over the last two years, and the sound has opened up a little (as much as one would expect on such a small guitar).

My 14yo daughter learned on this guitar, whose short scale and 1-11/16" nut width were perfect for her hands. Just yesterday, I decided I should list it for sale, when my 10yo son told me that he might try to learn the guitar, so I'm still hanging onto it, for now. BTW, the only reason we considered selling it is b/c she moved on to a new 12-fret 00 Eastman --- both are solid Sapele open pore; 12-fret is Adi, travel is Sitka (see below).

I think it sounds and plays very favorably to the Taylor minis. Although for just a little more, you could get their E1OM/E2OM, which are still solid Sapele open pore, but with Sitka (E1) or Cedar (E2) top and a 24.9" scale.

Here's the NGD thread from 2017:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=471568

And here's my daughter's E1OO-LTD from 2018:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532609

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion