The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Answers have been spot on. It could even be a reaction from your deodorant. As stated, wear a long sleeve t-shirt, or similar when playing. I only perspire on my guitars when performing because that's far more input then when preparing. Between songs when I need to wipe my hands with my towel, I wipe the guitar. I then wipe the guitar down between sets. No issues.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Their are many ways to polish it out. Don't use an abrasive like scratch x2. Wear a protective sleeve, Wipe down the guitar with a damp cloth after each use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Damp cloth doesn't work on haze. In fact soap and warm water doesn't work either Care to tell me why not to use Meguiars Scratch X2.0? I'm truly interested because it works for me.
I've had no issues...none.
I said "wipe down the guitar with a damp cloth after each use". I should have added this will prevent the haze from developing. You are correct, it won't remove it. I have original Scratch X (out of production) and that is very lightly abrasive and good for removing haze and swirls on occasion.
I follow a finishing expert of the highest caliber on the Rickenbacker forum who advised that the abrasive content was too high with Scratch X2 to use on guitars.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
..I follow a finishing expert of the highest caliber on the Rickenbacker forum who advised that the abrasive content was too high with Scratch X2 to use on guitars.
Maybe to use regularly as NO polish or compound should be used frequently. However, I've used X2 for years with perfect results.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Maybe to use regularly as NO polish or compound should be used frequently. However, I've used X2 for years with perfect results.
Thank you.
As I previously made very clear, I've never had any issues with the product in my experience and I've used it on many acoustics and electrics for years myself. I'm not going to dispute any expert opinion, but I will continue to use it on occasion and as needed.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Cut out the toe from an old cotton sock. Wear it on your arm with the heel over your elbow. In cooler weather wear long sleeves.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:30 PM

At the risk of muddying the waters, I am am going to offer an entirely different suggestion.

It is likely that this sort of event will continue to happen with your J45.

Your arm placement, the nitro finish, your body chemistry.

I have had this happen with guitars and have gone to using John Pearse armrests. These armrests keep your forearm off the top of the guitar. No contact, no hazing or other issues with the nitro finish.

Another benefit, actually the primary benefit of using the rests, is greater volume, no loss of tone.

I am an absolute believer in the advantages of using armresets.

There will be many that will give you all sorts of reasons NOT to use an armrest. "It wrecks the appearance of the guitar" is one. ( But your nitro finish being eaten away by body chemistry isn't very pretty, either.)

At least, look into the possibility of using the rest.

The reality is that in terms of durability, nitrocellulose is a vunerable finish. It is especially so for some people.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 PM

It's called blushing where moisture permeates the finish and remains despite attempts to remove it. The furniture industry uses a warm clothes iron over the surface with a cotton cloth between, just like ironing clothes (for those of us who remember doing that). The heat draws the moisture out into the cloth, which the iron immediately evaporates, and the finish returns to its original clarity. My MIL is constantly putting hot dinner dishes onto my wood table without hot pads (trivets) causing the finish to blush. The hot iron trick works without fail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion