The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Default G string

Makes sense to me that the G string takes the most turns to tune, it's the thinnest wire, buried inside a coil wrapper and that coil offers all but no resistance to tension used to tune to pitch.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Bain, did you go ahead and firm up the clutch screw on that tuner as we suggested?

whm
Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM

Yep sure did no difference after making sure is was tightened I detune then tuned up , funny though going from really out of tune, it felt good, you know what I mean, you can here it windup , but just as I’m at maybe 10 cents away tuning to pitch it seems to turn and turn then it hit the G pitch ,it’s a weird one I know but bloody annoying since its a new guitar , maybe somehow I have restrung it differently , or a rouge string , really not a problem when in tune,.....thanks
Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Sometimes - if I don't lock down my strings - they slip. The unwrapped ones are most likely to slip. They either "catch" and come up to pitch or they slip off the tuning peg.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:44 PM

You’ve done your due diligence, then, and it does sound like a defective tuner to me. If you bought the guitar new, you should contact Furch to see if they’ll replace it for you.

One thought, though - what I have found the times I’ve dealt with defective tuning gears (some four or five times now, twice with Schallers, the rest with Grovers) is that once one tuner starts to go bad, sooner or later another tuner or two will follow. So once that starts, I’ve just found it simplest to replace the entire set.

Naturally, that’s up to you, but buying and installing an entirely new set of tuners on the guitar is what I would do in your situation.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Makes sense to me that the G string takes the most turns to tune, it's the thinnest wire, buried inside a coil wrapper and that coil offers all but no resistance to tension used to tune to pitch.
Ding, ding, ding - correct answer!

I was guessing it would be the G string when I read the subject line.

The small cross-section requires greater strain (change in length) to achieve tension.

The OP's tuner is fine, but please prove it for yourself.

Want to do an experiment? Switch the "bad" tuner with one of the others to see if the problem follows the tuner or stays with the position and correlated string.

George
Old 07-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Want to do an experiment? Switch the "bad" tuner with one of the others to see if the problem follows the tuner or stays with the position and correlated string.
That's certainly worth trying, but on all of the tuners on all of my instruments the tuners hooked up to the G string have the same degree of accuracy and what feels like the same amount of travel as all of the other tuners. So if the G tuner on Bain's guitar has been adjusted properly, there is some kind of problem with it.

whm
Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 PM

I can't help but wonder if narrow nut slots are causing the g string on these guitars to stick, contributing to the issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion