The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-14-2002, 11:18 AM

Question Stefan Grossman videos?

Are they worth it? I'm looking for the next phase in my fingertyle blues education...

http://guitarvideos.com/

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 02-15-2002, 11:05 PM

I have never tried Stefan Grossmans videos, But I am using one of his book/cd lessons (Mississippi John Hurt). It comes with the original recordings. Something else to consider. Good luck

Paul
Old 02-22-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Grossman

I too have the Miss. John Hurt book; great stuff! As for the videos, I'm working on a Duck baker one which is produced by Grossman ; enough for a years worth of lessons. Been using his tapes since 1980 or so, I think he does an excellent job with his material regardless of format. The TAB system he uses is slightly different, but totally usable.
good luck
Old 02-22-2002, 01:54 PM

Default Thanks for the comments

I have my eye on the MJ Hurt book as well, but I was considering going through the 2-tape fingerstyle blues videos first.

How is his TAB different?

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 02-26-2002, 06:47 PM

Videos are a great. I started with videos first, with Happy Traum Learning to Fingerpick. He encourages you to use thumb and three fingers. While Stefan Grossman uses just his thumb and two fingers. I guess what ever words best for you. Happy Traum also encourages you to use thumbpicks and plastic fingerpicks for more volume. Which I thought just added to the frustration, but it all paid off in the long run, as I play strickly with fingerpicks now. Stefan Grossmans taps uses seven lines, with the fingering numbers inbetween the lines. It just takes alittle time to get use to. Stefan Grossman has one of the best selections of fingerstyle blues. You can't go wrong with his videos or book/Cd. Good luck

Paul
Old 02-26-2002, 06:56 PM

Sorry about the typing errors, I forgot to take my fingerpicks off

Paul
Old 02-27-2002, 08:18 AM

Smile Thanks for the comments

I checked out the video clips on his website, and I liked what I saw. What strikes me is that he spends a lot of time detailing tricky licks & chords, which is nice. I prefer to play with four fingers, but that should not be a problem. The only thing I will definitely have to work on is the thumb over neck for the F chord.

His Gary Davis CD received a very positive review in the current issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine.

Sorry for the typos. I'd like to blame it on my lenghty fingernails, but the fact is, I never really learned how to type!

Uncork New York!

Last edited by Guitar Dad; 02-27-2002 at 08:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell