The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM

I ordered the previously viewed course also and got the 20 DVD version. pretty good course it seems.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Smile

Good luck! My suggestion is to do a little a lot of the time not a lot a little of the time. Enjoy!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post
Good luck! My suggestion is to do a little a lot of the time not a lot a little of the time. Enjoy!!!!
I'm finding that to be true. One of the frustrations is that it takes my fingers/hand so much longer to learn what to do than the mind comprehends it. In my mind, it's like, "Yes, I have that." My fingers and hand are more like, "Say what? How do you do this?" over and over and over again. But progress is coming, so slowly.

Bill
Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Hi Dale. I had the same question and emailed Legacy. They responded that all previously-viewed guitar courses are the expanded edition. Mine is the 20-DVD set, and I know of at least one other AGF member who ordered the previously-viewed course and it was the expanded, too.

And welcome to AGF, or at least welcome with your first post.

Bill
Thanks for the response. Sounds like a good deal. I'll have to follow up on this. I saw some on Ebay, but more expensive.

Anyway, been in and out of AGF for a while just lurking. I was over to Harmony Central for a while but discovered that wasn't for me.

I took some lessons a while back, and after having spent a hundred bucks I realized my teacher was a better player than a teacher. A hundred dollars is a lot of money for me especially to have it essentially wasted. And with life getting in the way so often, I just set my Larrivee OM-03R aside for a while until I could figure something else out. I can doodle a little but want to get serious and start learning. I'll keep lurking here and maybe pop in with questions occasionally.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchguy View Post
Thanks for the response. Sounds like a good deal. I'll have to follow up on this. I saw some on Ebay, but more expensive.

Anyway, been in and out of AGF for a while just lurking. I was over to Harmony Central for a while but discovered that wasn't for me.

I took some lessons a while back, and after having spent a hundred bucks I realized my teacher was a better player than a teacher. A hundred dollars is a lot of money for me especially to have it essentially wasted. And with life getting in the way so often, I just set my Larrivee OM-03R aside for a while until I could figure something else out. I can doodle a little but want to get serious and start learning. I'll keep lurking here and maybe pop in with questions occasionally.

I just ordered the previously viewed. Got the expanded version, and had it within 4 days of order. So far I am learning some good stuff.

Taylor 110
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Well, I've got a standard (10 DVD) one coming. I bought it off Ebay so I could use Paypal and it was a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Hope it works out for you. I'm still plugging away with mine.

Bill
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Hey everyone, former lurker here, just wanted to say I just ordered L&MG from the endorsements here. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Yamaha FG730s
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Welcome to AGF, Phil. Glad you're getting the LMG course. The one thing I repeadedly emphasize is that it is no silver bullet. LMG is very helpful if one will apply oneself, and it will lay a solid foundation to build upon as a person decides what he wants to focus upon. Hope you the best with the course. Oh, and you will find the L&M Community an encouragement and a source of a lot of good information about playing and working through the course.

Bill
Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Welcome to AGF, Phil. Glad you're getting the LMG course. The one thing I repeadedly emphasize is that it is no silver bullet. LMG is very helpful if one will apply oneself, and it will lay a solid foundation to build upon as a person decides what he wants to focus upon. Hope you the best with the course. Oh, and you will find the L&M Community an encouragement and a source of a lot of good information about playing and working through the course.

Bill
+1

From what I'm seeing in the early lessons it breaks down a complex skill into sometimes tedious details. However, I know from 50 years of screwing around that without such a disciplined approach one gets nowhere.

Just because I learned "Bird Dog" by the Everly Brothers and a few folk strums back in the day doesn't make me a guitar player. I believe L & M G will -- if I have the right stuff to keep at it. And its structure encourages just that.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Music, it is what it is. Some may take the studious road to get there while others choose to just pick up the guitar and play. It's all good in the end if you're having fun making music.

I'm sure if I had the patience to take a year to learn that course or a similar course that I would be a better musician for it. Will I do that? Most likely not.

I'm having too much fun playing to stop and try to learn theory.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick View Post
Music, it is what it is. Some may take the studious road to get there while others choose to just pick up the guitar and play. It's all good in the end if you're having fun making music.

I'm sure if I had the patience to take a year to learn that course or a similar course that I would be a better musician for it. Will I do that? Most likely not.

I'm having too much fun playing to stop and try to learn theory.
I know what you're saying--it just depends on how one is wired. I'm doing the course and then fun stuff on the side. My hope is that the course will make the fun stuff more easily attained. We'll see. It's great to have options.

Bill
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I took some lessons a while back, and after having spent a hundred bucks I realized my teacher was a better player than a teacher. A hundred dollars is a lot of money for me especially to have it essentially wasted. And with life getting in the way so often, I just set my Larrivee OM-03R aside for a while until I could figure something else out. I can doodle a little but want to get serious and start learning. I'll keep lurking here and maybe pop in with questions occasionally.:D
The L&MG forum is a good place to pop in with questions, too.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I've got a standard (10 DVD) one coming. I bought it off Ebay so I could use Paypal and it was a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all the help.
IIRC, the expanded version covers the same material, but with more exercises along the way. You might want to look at the written material that goes with those DVD's here.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
IIRC, the expanded version covers the same material, but with more exercises along the way. You might want to look at the written material that goes with those DVD's here.
That's true. The bonus material takes the course to another level. I also highly recommended doing the bonus material whether or not you have the expanded version DVD's.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write