The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-17-2019, 03:55 AM

Default Got bit by the tenor guitar bug

I switched to mandolin about 4 yrs back, and about 6 months ago I got my first octave mandolin. Thought I was oh so clever to remove 4 strings to get a guitar-like tone out of it, but then somebody told me it had been done before. :-)

Now I own an acoustic and an electric tenor (both began life as OM's), but the acoustic scale length is too long. The electrric is actually a converted Eastwood Airline Mandola with an 18" scale, and it is pretty amazing for such a short scale.

So now I find I love very short-scale tenors, and am trying to commission an acoustic build based on an 18" mandola (expanded body, but still 18" scale). It may not be that powerful acoustically, and the low G is likely to be a bit plunky, but I expect to play out on it with a pickup so hopefully it won't sound too bad.

The 18" scale allows me to play melodic lines with two frets per finger (the mandolin way), it's still not as fast as the tiny mando fretboard, but that's ok.

I even started lessons on rhythm guitar with the best rhythm player I know, it's been fun trying to imitate what he does on four strings, and it's been working pretty well so far. He corrected some technique problems while we were at it too.
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 AM

You might find this of interest:

https://kalabrand.com/collections/gu...s/tenor-guitar

Our band's vocalist owns one - about the same size as one of the new "super baritone" ukes and, with the right strings, adapts well to a variety of tunings (she's using DGBE "Chicago" tuning, and I've heard of at least one player using low-G tenor uke for lead work with a uke ensemble); easy on the wallet too @ $249...
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 AM

the Kala tenor responds nicely to high tension nylon strings as well. I strung a friends up with Thomastik-Infeld nylon tape wound trebles and wound silk and steel for a great Chicago tuned sound. It make a great addition to a baritone uke players collection...lots of volume and tone.
also...if a hard case is wanted for your Kala, the Martin "little Martin" case is a good fit.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Looks like Davy Stuart in NZ is going to build one for me. He is known in the mandolin world for producing fine instruments. Its going to be a long wait though, next March (2020) approximate delivery date.
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)
Old 08-22-2019, 03:02 PM

Seven months is not a bad wait time for a luthier-built instrument - I've seen 6-9 month wait times for Gibson/Martin Custom Shop stuff...
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM

I bought one of the Kala Tenor guitars a bit over a year ago. Pretty nice instrument and fun to play. I do do tune it to the normal tuning of CGDA. That makes for different chord inversions than a six string guitar, and part of what makes it a tenor guitar.

I found a tenor guitar years ago (in the mid 80's) at a yard sale, very cheap one but played fine. The wife of the bass player in my bluegrass band really liked it and wanted to learn to play it so I gave it to her (don't know if she ever did learn to play it). Had wanted one ever since The Kingston Trio were popular during my high school years.

Had wanted one ever since so when I saw the Kala (solid top and slotted headstock) for a great price on Amazon I had to get it. Glad I did. Glad to hear that the little Martin case fits it. Been looking for something better than the gig bag it has been in.

Last edited by Caddy; 08-23-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 PM

That Kala in the video does have a nice sound. I've been thinking of getting a tenor to see if it is any easier on my increasingly more decrepit left wrist.
I'm wondering if more big sideways stretches are involved. Like 4 fret stretches.
I have an electric Eastwood Warren Ellis 6, now I wish I'd gotten the tenor instead. But I really do like sound of that video with steel strings on there. At heart I love acoustics most anyway.
I guess I should go to a guitar shop and see if they have one.
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
1 Kala baritone uke/tenor guitar hybrid, steel strings
Oh, and a Z*#&$=#@, Travel size
Old 11-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Hi, I’m a new ol’ guy so I thought I’d join in.

I have a Kala tenor guitar and a Kala baritone uke. I like ‘em both, and they both sound as good as I can get ‘em to.

Now if I can only learn to play and remember those darned chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments