The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-20-2024, 12:47 PM

Default Martin binding issue : successful repair ?

Much has been said about Martin « plastic » binding that may give (at waist).
The issues appears to be caused by a glue change.

I would like to get info from you guys who had to get that binding fixed.

Was it glued again and, if so, is it fine, did it actually bind or gave again ?

Would you prefer an expert luthier to replace the « plastic » binding with wood ?

If so, should the body be refinished ?

Many thanks guys !
Old 03-20-2024, 02:33 PM

That would cost quite a bit to have the binding replaced with wood. It would need finish touchup but not a refinish. If repaired properly the binding fix on a Martin should last forever. I prefer to use CA glue for this type of fix.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Ideally the finish needs to be touched up. How much it needs it depends a bit on the guitar. The separations on my OM-21 are pretty clean, and didn't pull that far away from the body (yet)... that one I could get away without a finish touch-up. Haven't had it fixed because I bought it used, and it's really not in the way.

When the binding on my D-18 went, it went big, and took some big shards of finish with it, and the binding was so loose that playing it was awkward (wish I had taken pictures). That was under warranty, was fixed by a shop about an hour away, including finish touch-up, and it looks great. It's been about 2 or 3 years and it's holding tight so far.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-20-2024, 08:46 PM

What redir said. It's a simple re-glue and it will be fine. No reason to worry about it.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:44 AM

I have replaced the ""plastic"" binding on martins before with maple wood, its not a job for the faint of heart, it will also set you back a 1000 odd dollars

you have to remove the neck, remove the binding, re route the binding grooves so they are super clean, steam bend the new binding wood up, then do finish work on the top / sides and back, put the neck back on and do a setup, not a small job

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-21-2024, 02:52 PM

Many thanks guys !

I will ask my local expert luthier for a re-glue job.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM

My opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that long-term success is directly proportional to the thoroughne$$ of the job. Re-glue, tape it till the glue dries - - - lots of positive testimonials after....days? There's so many interpretations of 'repair' floating around, from re-gluing to complete removal and replacement with something that won't shrink, Both are casually called 'repair' but there's a worlds of difference between these extremes and cheap won't last as long as the other extreme. Anybody chirping about a bargain job that is perfectly satisfactory probably had it done last Monday. But read my opening words.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
My opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that long-term success is directly proportional to the thoroughne$$ of the job. Re-glue, tape it till the glue dries - - - lots of positive testimonials after....days? There's so many interpretations of 'repair' floating around, from re-gluing to complete removal and replacement with something that won't shrink, Both are casually called 'repair' but there's a worlds of difference between these extremes and cheap won't last as long as the other extreme. Anybody chirping about a bargain job that is perfectly satisfactory probably had it done last Monday. But read my opening words.
I usually share many of your thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair