The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
That sounds great - both the guitar and your singing! Man that is a bucket list guitar for sure.
Hi Mikey!

Thanks so much for your comments! And bucket list guitar this is, for sure!!!

I don't think I would have ever considered a D-45 if they hadn't changed the design to include forward shifted scalloped bracing. You can hear that deep bass in the recording. It is my idea of the ideal dreadnought.

Thanks again for listening!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Spectacular!
Hi Paul!

Thanks for listening and commenting! And I must agree, the guitar really is spectacular! Very nice of you to weigh in here!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Great job Glenn and such a beautiful guitar, I’ve never seen a 45 in the flesh myself, nearest I’ve had is a go of my pal’s old D41.

I see you didn’t opt for the relic’d finish ! You must be looking forward to putting that first ding in her yourself

(Insomnia led me here, for which I thank it)

Ps. First I knew I’d want some kind of Martin dread someday was seeing Neil Young and Ry Cooder on the “Old Grey Whistle Test” TV show back in the early seventies, they both dressed liked hippies and played D45s !
Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Wow Glenn, that was fantastic! Both you & the guitar sound great!!!
Hi DR,

Thanks so much for listening and commenting! I'm really pleased that you like this rendition and the sound of the guitar!

You know, I started working on this song on my old Martin D-35 and when I received this D-45 I thought I would try this song on it. I could hardly contain my enthusiasm when I heard it. I have been playing this song for several days on this guitar and then when I recorded it, I was so well practiced that I took the first take! My timing in one place was a little off, but I was so enthused about the whole thing, I didn't even care!

Thanks again for listening and commenting DR!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Great sound, Glenn. Excellent job! The strength of that D45 is a good match for your voice. Thanks for sharing your new toy with us.

Roger
Hi Roger,

It's great hearing from you!

In terms of the guitar matching my voice, the guitar is so loud and powerful that I found myself singing with a lot more power just to match the guitar! So I guess the guitar and I are getting to know each other!

Glad you thought this sounded good! Thanks again!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
WOAH Glenn! That guitar is in the right hands for sure! Sparkles all in the right ways too.
Enjoy it my friend!

Perry
Hi Perry!

Well, your comments really made me smile! Thank you!

I hope the guitar is in the right hands! It sure does sing! And considering the bass this guitar has, it really does have some great midrange and treble, too. It is an all around killer guitar!

Thanks so much for your comments, Perry!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Glenn--awesome stuff! Enjoy the new Martin, a well deserved companion to your D-35
Hi Bob,

Thank you! It is an awesome companion to my 51-year-old D-35! I am going to enjoy this guitar, for sure!

Thanks for commenting here, Bob!!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Looks and sounds great.
Thank you archerscreek!

I'm glad you enjoyed the looks and sound of this guitar, too! I am loving it!

Thanks so much for listening and commenting!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
HI Glenn...off you go on another one! Great sound from you both (you and the guitar! )
Congrats on the new Martin....wow.......
Would love to hear a NGD post on this. You have such an extensive group of wonderful instruments that it would be nice to catch thoughts and comparisons with those that have been with you. Looks like an amazing instrument!
Best,
Fred
Hi Fred,

Thanks so much for listening and commenting here, Fred! I did do an NGD post here on the main part of the forum. Many people who commented there have also commented here on this Show & Tell thread.

I probably have too many guitars, now. At some point I will have to start letting them go. But I am not quite ready yet. The guitar is my one major weakness, aside from my wife and children, of course.

Thanks for your comments and support, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Great job Glenn and such a beautiful guitar, I’ve never seen a 45 in the flesh myself, nearest I’ve had is a go of my pal’s old D41.

I see you didn’t opt for the relic’d finish ! You must be looking forward to putting that first ding in her yourself

(Insomnia led me here, for which I thank it)

Ps. First I knew I’d want some kind of Martin dread someday was seeing Neil Young and Ry Cooder on the “Old Grey Whistle Test” TV show back in the early seventies, they both dressed liked hippies and played D45s !
Hi Jon,

How nice of you to comment here and to take a listen to the video!

Yes, like you, I had never seen a D-45 in the flesh, and when I opened this one I really think I gasped. It looks so very classy in person!

And, no, no relic'd finish!!!! In fact, I was playing that Stills song with so much enthusiasm, I was afraid I might ding the guitar by letting myself get carried away. But so far, no ding! I am not looking forward to that day, ever!!! You'll be hearing my yelling all the way over in London!!

Sorry about your insomnia, Jon, but I am so glad to hear from you! I hope you are well!!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 09:50 PM

I’m fine thanks Glenn, it’s 4.45am here.
I just tend to keep irregular hours, had a nap from around 5 til 8 pm earlier, went up to bed for the night at 1am and read a book .
Usually that’ll send me off after a couple of chapters, but I read for ages, got up for bathroom, ended up down here with a cup of hot chocolate, thinking about how much I enjoyed smoking up til 3 months ago ! Lucky there’s none in the house.

Sorry man, this was about your brilliant new guitar not my nocturnal habits haha !

You may well have already seen vids of those early performances by mssrs Young and Cooder on the tube.
Neil does “Old Man” and “Heart of Gold “ IIRC and Ry plays “Vigilante Man” on his D45 using a bone slide .
Old 03-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi DR,

Thanks so much for listening and commenting! I'm really pleased that you like this rendition and the sound of the guitar!

You know, I started working on this song on my old Martin D-35 and when I received this D-45 I thought I would try this song on it. I could hardly contain my enthusiasm when I heard it. I have been playing this song for several days on this guitar and then when I recorded it, I was so well practiced that I took the first take! My timing in one place was a little off, but I was so enthused about the whole thing, I didn't even care!

Thanks again for listening and commenting DR!

- Glenn
My pleasure, and BTW, if that’s a 2018 D-45, it has a 1-3/4” nut width.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

My goodness, that is fantastic! Your playing and vocals are excellent. And congrats again on the new guitar.

I've been completely enamored with the Martin D-45, ever since I saw Neil Young playing his, when I was young. And I still watch his 1971 BBC performance on YouTube fairly regularly. Neil is a musical and personal hero of mine.

But choosing a Steven Stills song to introduce your D-45 is absolutely perfect. After all, he's owned a few of them, and if memory serves correctly, he was responsible for the other guys getting theirs. And Stills is such a great songwriter in his own right.

Anyway, the D-45 is the be all, end all for me, and I'm so happy for your new acquisition (with just a twinge of envy!). Cheers and happy playing!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Perry!

Well, your comments really made me smile! Thank you!

I hope the guitar is in the right hands! It sure does sing! And considering the bass this guitar has, it really does have some great midrange and treble, too. It is an all around killer guitar!

Thanks so much for your comments, Perry!

- Glenn
You're very welcome, Glenn! Now you're deep into that magical period of seeing what all that beauty can actually do and that's the most fun anyone can have in this whole guitar galaxy!

Perry
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I’m fine thanks Glenn, it’s 4.45am here.
I just tend to keep irregular hours, had a nap from around 5 til 8 pm earlier, went up to bed for the night at 1am and read a book .
Usually that’ll send me off after a couple of chapters, but I read for ages, got up for bathroom, ended up down here with a cup of hot chocolate, thinking about how much I enjoyed smoking up til 3 months ago ! Lucky there’s none in the house.

Sorry man, this was about your brilliant new guitar not my nocturnal habits haha !

You may well have already seen vids of those early performances by mssrs Young and Cooder on the tube.
Neil does “Old Man” and “Heart of Gold “ IIRC and Ry plays “Vigilante Man” on his D45 using a bone slide .
Hi Jon,

Well, I hope you still have some time to get some sleep tonight, Jon! I will go check out those videos from Ry Cooder and Neil Young! Thanks again for checking in here!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell