The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleBob View Post
The bass strings were strange sounding (I couldn’t quite put my finger on it) which was exacerbated by the A string buzzing badly on the first fret as well as the D from time to time.
After shimming the nut we restrung, tuned and both took turns playing. In a phenomenon I’d never heard before, the sound of the guitar changed materially over the next 30 or 40 min. The change was very noticeable. It became much more coherent and articulate, less strange. I wish I had a better vocabulary for guitar tone to explain it.
Next time there's a thread about guitars "opening up" you have first hand experience. The guitar looks great.
et al
Old 04-10-2018, 01:30 PM

It looks great, well done! I hope the tone continues to develop into just what you want.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Engelmann/Hog 000... em... self build(?)

Thanks very much folks
@ emmsone: definitely agree on the strings. I use monels quite a bit but have one guitar that just doesn’t like em. I will definitely experiment when the tone of the OM settles. The monels on the guitar are also fresh and I’ve found it takes those a couple days to settle as well.

@ Rodger: it’s remarkable, I always thought there must be an element of perception in the idea of guitars “opening up” because I can get my head around the logic (physics?) of what’s actually changing. ...but the tone does change — it just does!

@ magirus: thank you very much! Based on how quickly it’s changed initially, i would think it’s got some more to go...

Last edited by CycleBob; 04-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 PM

What an awesome thread and experience to have. It's always fun to build something from the ground up - it just feels like you've accomplished something tangible, and the fact that it's something that plays music is even better!

The guitar looks beautiful, you should be very proud! It would have been interesting to hear a recording of when it was first strung, and the tonal progression from there. Not too late to document it opening up though! That would be a great reference to have
Teton STG105CENT
Recording King RK-R35 (banjo)
Looking for my next one!
Old 04-15-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazump View Post
What an awesome thread and experience to have. It's always fun to build something from the ground up - it just feels like you've accomplished something tangible, and the fact that it's something that plays music is even better!

The guitar looks beautiful, you should be very proud! It would have been interesting to hear a recording of when it was first strung, and the tonal progression from there. Not too late to document it opening up though! That would be a great reference to have

Thanks nazump. You’re right it does feel like a very tangible outcome when you walk away with an instrument ! The guitar keeps sounding better, especially after I changed to PB Elixirs. I love monels usually, but not the right string for this guitar it would seem.

I’ve been meaning to post a recording or video since I got back, but returning to my young family and work means much less time to devote to such things. Alas... real life [emoji848]
Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 AM

....will post a video soon. Didn’t work the first time.

Last edited by CycleBob; 04-20-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 AM

I got the videos of the guitar and thoughts on the course posted here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=1#post5707371

Cheers,
Rob
Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 PM

Congratulations Bob, your guitar looks fantastic!
I'll check out your sound videos later today, but I'm sure it will sound great!
How has the finger healed up? Nothing worse than cuts and minor injuries to our fingers really put a strain on our playing and enjoyment of the guitar!
I do Martial Arts also, and just last night, the tip on my left middle finger got caught against my sparring partners gloves(We use open fingered gloves so we can grapple etc). It twisted, and not feels really awkward even to use a keyboard to write this message!
Reading through this thread is making me even more excited about doing my course later this year. Seriously can't wait!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Just incredible, Bob... congratulations!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Congratulations Bob, your guitar looks fantastic!

I'll check out your sound videos later today, but I'm sure it will sound great!

How has the finger healed up? Nothing worse than cuts and minor injuries to our fingers really put a strain on our playing and enjoyment of the guitar!

I do Martial Arts also, and just last night, the tip on my left middle finger got caught against my sparring partners gloves(We use open fingered gloves so we can grapple etc). It twisted, and not feels really awkward even to use a keyboard to write this message!

Reading through this thread is making me even more excited about doing my course later this year. Seriously can't wait!

Hey zandit, thanks buddy. The finger did heal fine. The chisel was super sharp, but at least that makes a clean cut that was ok in a couple of weeks.
Hope your finger’s ok as well. It’s such a disappointment to injure your hands when you play guitar!
Best of luck with your course. If you do a build thread I’ll follow with interest.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Just incredible, Bob... congratulations!

Thanks Kerbie! It’s actually been the only guitar I’ve been playing since I got back!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair