The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Default Bridge clamp recommendation

I am planning to reglue the detached bridge onto the body of the this Vintage Parlour Guitar V880N.

It is a Cedar Top body, and very fragile wood, and there is some problem with the tuner to fix too. So it is a repair project.

What clamps are best for gluing the bridge? Any recommendation? Simple and reliable which work well are best, and of course good priced one.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 AM

I use long-reach C clams from Harbor Freight, along with some hand-made cauls of wood lined with cork. You'll need a caul inside the guitar as well preferably with a thickness greater than the height of the braces.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:29 PM

When you look at the links below - notice that you will probably end up with about $60 in clamps to do this job.... A luthier's fees may not seem like such a bad deal if you have to buy all the supplies.

Measure from the back edge of the soundhole to the middle of the bridge - on the outside wings and in the middle.... That will tell you what size clamps you need. Often - "normal" deep throat clamps only give 4" or so and you usually need about 6" depth.

Ibex, Shop Fox, and a couple others sell a deep C clamp like this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000D...OLL&ref=plSrch

These wooden cam clamps are also super handy. These come in 6" and 8" deep throat. Warning - the cheap ones often don't work well.. The good ones run about $20/each.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003F0...luthier+clamps
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I use long-reach C clams from Harbor Freight, along with some hand-made cauls of wood lined with cork. You'll need a caul inside the guitar as well preferably with a thickness greater than the height of the braces.
I was going to say the same thing - exact same method on my part

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Yes, great info and advice. Thank you.

I have a couple of old clamps for woodwork in the shed, so will try if they would do the job. But if not, then I will have to buy the clamps first before gluing the brides.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 PM

For pin bridges, I use a 3/16” bolt through the two outside bridge pin holes, along with appropriate cauls.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
For pin bridges, I use a 3/16” bolt through the two outside bridge pin holes, along with appropriate cauls.
I would imagine this would work too. Tighten them with nuts from the inside of the sound hole?

But if somehow glue gets into the bolt, then might be difficult taking them off? No?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 AM

Rub wax on the threads. I’ve succefully done it that way for three decades.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Rub wax on the threads. I’ve succefully done it that way for three decades.
Great great idea. Thank you for sharing.
So you don't even need clamps when gluing pin holed bridges, right sized bolts and nuts will do - all my acoustics have pin holed bridge.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
Great great idea. Thank you for sharing.
So you don't even need clamps when gluing pin holed bridges, right sized bolts and nuts will do - all my acoustics have pin holed bridge.
No clamps necessary. The bolts also act to position the bridge while gluing.

You do need appropriate cauls, one the shape of the bridge plate for the interior of the guitar, and one the shape of the bridge, more or less, for the exterior. I use wing nuts on the inside and outside, with washers, on 3” long bolts. I don't use a screw driver to tighten the bolts - it can slip. Instead, I tighten by hand, then use pliers on the exterior wing nuts, while using my hand to prevent the corresponding interior wing nut from rotating.

Apply wax to the contacting surface of the interior caul: it doesn't improve the guitar's sound to glue the interior caul to the bridge plate.

Drill slightly oversize holes though the cauls in a position to match the outside holes in the bridge.

I use four small wooden wedges between the outer caul and the top of the wings of the bridge. Insert two wedges, parallel to the strings, from opposite directions, for each wing of the bridge. It applies pressure on the wings to ensure they are clamped down as well. Since the wedges attempt to bend the upper caul, I use wood - often a piece of 1x2 rather than plywood - particle board, and similar, isn't stiff enough to work.

If the upper caul is the same shape as the bridge, it is fairly easy to clean up the glue squeeze out. When the glue is dry - overnight - remove the bolts, cauls and wedges. Drill out each bridge pin hole with a 3/16" drill bit in a hand drill. Then ream each hole to suit your bridge pins.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-20-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM

I use 3/16th inch bolts too with two cam clamps on the wings.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
No clamps necessary. The bolts also act to position the bridge while gluing.

You do need appropriate cauls, one the shape of the bridge plate for the interior of the guitar, and one the shape of the bridge, more or less, for the exterior. I use wing nuts on the inside and outside, with washers, on 3” long bolts. I don't use a screw driver to tighten the bolts - it can slip. Instead, I tighten by hand, then use pliers on the exterior wing nuts, while using my hand to prevent the corresponding interior wing nut from rotating.

Apply wax to the contacting surface of the interior caul: it doesn't improve the guitar's sound to glue the interior caul to the bridge plate.

Drill slightly oversize holes though the cauls in a position to match the outside holes in the bridge.

I use four small wooden wedges between the outer caul and the top of the wings of the bridge. Insert two wedges, parallel to the strings, from opposite directions, for each wing of the bridge. It applies pressure on the wings to ensure they are clamped down as well. Since the wedges attempt to bend the upper caul, I use wood - often a piece of 1x2 rather than plywood - particle board, and similar, isn't stiff enough to work.

If the upper caul is the same shape as the bridge, it is fairly easy to clean up the glue squeeze out. When the glue is dry - overnight - remove the bolts, cauls and wedges. Drill out each bridge pin hole with a 3/16" drill bit in a hand drill. Then ream each hole to suit your bridge pins.
I remember reading a story from a luthier a while back who actually left the inside caul because it was inadvertently glued in, and was wondering why the guitar didn't sound or play right. Can't remember who it was, though...
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Clear packaging tape also works well to prevent glueing the caul to your top. I also cut a strip of 1/4" clear hose lengthwise and place it over the edge of the sound hole. Preventa damaging the fragile edge with clamps while inserting and removing them.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Clear packaging tape also works well to prevent glueing the caul to your top. I also cut a strip of 1/4" clear hose lengthwise and place it over the edge of the sound hole. Preventa damaging the fragile edge with clamps while inserting and removing them.
Both good suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair