The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-19-2005, 10:13 AM

Default If I like these bands/artists...

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of the following:

1. Chris Isaak
2. The Mavericks
3. Social Distortion (especially their self-titled 1990 album, with "Ball and Chain" and their version of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire")

I'm interested in discovering some more music in similar style(s). Some other artists come immediately to mind--Elvis, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, etc.--who are clearly influences, especially on Isaak and The Mavericks. I have a "Greatest Hits" album from both Orbison and Cash, but not much of what's on them is as appealing as the artists mentioned above. For the most part, I liked the Orbison stuff better than the Cash stuff.

In general, there a a couple of different sounds that I really like here, but both of them make me think 50's/60's music. One sound has a lot of clean guitar, with lots of reverb and somtimes tremolo--makes me think of a rockabilly ballad. The other sound is more like roots rock--up-tempo, with distortion, fairly simple chord progressions (lots of I, IV, and V's in there), and catchy hooks.

Specifically, here are some of my favorite tunes form these artists, for those who are more familiar with them...

Isaak: "I Wonder," "Blue Spanish Sky,"Wicked Game," and "Somebody's Cryin'," etc.
Mavericks: "What A Cryin' Shame," "O, What a Thrill," and "There Goes My Heart," etc.
Social Distortion: "Sick Boys," "So Far Away," "Ball and Chain," etc.

So, let's hear it. Give me some recommendations for other music to check out. Any specific albums or songs by those artists that you'd recommend would be great.

Thanks!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 AM

Gary Allan - Smoke Rings in the Dark
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM

I was just informed that Smoke Rings in the Dark is both a song title and album title...

was referring to the song...

don't know if the album is in the same style.....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM

Great suggestion, mapletrees! I already have a couple of Gary Allen's CDs (including "Smoke Rings"), and love them! So your suggestion is dead-on.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 10-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Me

Billy Crockett - He is a great guitar player. He writes all his own words and music. He does many different styles - blues, Spanish guitar, Caribbean, blue grass pop, rock all on acoustic guitar. He gets very serious and quite funny. You gotta love a guy that writes a song called "41 Mowers". He is a Christian artist and does some songs that are just plain fun, like "The Wake Up Song" and "Couch Potato".
Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier
Lately, I've been listening to a lot of the following:

1. Chris Isaak
2. The Mavericks
3. Social Distortion (especially their self-titled 1990 album, with "Ball and Chain" and their version of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire")

I'm interested in discovering some more music in similar style(s). Some other artists come immediately to mind--Elvis, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, etc.--who are clearly influences, especially on Isaak and The Mavericks. I have a "Greatest Hits" album from both Orbison and Cash, but not much of what's on them is as appealing as the artists mentioned above. For the most part, I liked the Orbison stuff better than the Cash stuff.

In general, there a a couple of different sounds that I really like here, but both of them make me think 50's/60's music. One sound has a lot of clean guitar, with lots of reverb and somtimes tremolo--makes me think of a rockabilly ballad. The other sound is more like roots rock--up-tempo, with distortion, fairly simple chord progressions (lots of I, IV, and V's in there), and catchy hooks.

Specifically, here are some of my favorite tunes form these artists, for those who are more familiar with them...

Isaak: "I Wonder," "Blue Spanish Sky,"Wicked Game," and "Somebody's Cryin'," etc.
Mavericks: "What A Cryin' Shame," "O, What a Thrill," and "There Goes My Heart," etc.
Social Distortion: "Sick Boys," "So Far Away," "Ball and Chain," etc.

So, let's hear it. Give me some recommendations for other music to check out. Any specific albums or songs by those artists that you'd recommend would be great.

Thanks!
If you like Chris Isaak be sure and check out "The Baja Sessions" ..a lttle different and , actually , my favorite. If you're not already familiar, check out Cowboy Junkies, "The Trinity Sessions"...absolutely fabulous.
One more that just doesn't get enough credit and NO air play..Keb Mo'..anything he does!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Traveling Wilburys.....Orbison, Dylan, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, George Harrison....
Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 PM

I've listened to very little by Chris Isaac, and I'm afraid that I'm not at all familiar with the other two bands that you've mentioned, but if you're looking for acoustic blues, I second dthumb's suggestion - anything by Keb' Mo' is extremely satisfying. His self-titled debut CD is my favorite, and among other gems, it contains a downright spooky cover of Robert Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen."
-Master Sudo
Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb
If you like Chris Isaak be sure and check out "The Baja Sessions" ..a lttle different and , actually , my favorite. If you're not already familiar, check out Cowboy Junkies, "The Trinity Sessions"...absolutely fabulous.
One more that just doesn't get enough credit and NO air play..Keb Mo'..anything he does!
Great taste, dthumb!

"Baja Sessions" might just be my favorite Isaak album, too...

Cowboy Junkies... a classic. I love their cover of "Sweet, Sweet Jane."

I like Keb Mo', too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
Billy Crockett - He is a great guitar player. He writes all his own words and music. He does many different styles - blues, Spanish guitar, Caribbean, blue grass pop, rock all on acoustic guitar.
OK... never heard of this one. I'll check him out. Any songs in particular that you'd recommend to try first?

www.jimtozier.com
Old 10-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier
OK... never heard of this one. I'll check him out. Any songs in particular that you'd recommend to try first?
You can buy his cds on Amazon or get great deals on eBay.

My favorite songs are - (in no particular order)
The Day I gave My Heart Away
Thankful Boys and Girls
The Last In Line
Lines
Lower Than the Angels
Higher Love

CDs -get (In order)
Watermarks
Simple Plans
In These Days (a live cd)
Red Bird Blue Sky
The Basic Stuff
Any Starlight Night

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...174444-7134437

For some reason I did not mention Bob Bennett. He is like Billy, but Bob writes better lyrics, is a tad better at music writing and is a better singer with a better voice. While Bob is an excellent guitar player, Billy is perhaps a bit better player with more variety. Bob plays a Ryan. I'm not sure what Billy plays - but he is holding a Taylor on one of his CD covers.

Bob's cds In order -
Lord of the Past
Matters Of The Heart (out of print and very hard to find)
Small Graces
Songs From Bright Avenue
Non-Fiction

Jim -
Sorry, these guys are not at all in that style. I should read more before I post. These guys are much closer to James Taylor.

Last edited by SteveS; 10-19-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 PM

Believe it or not, for this type stuff I would recommend the cd "The Pilgrim' by Marty Stuart. It ranks as one of the best ever albums, ever, by anybody. Seriously, one of my favorite top 2 or 3 albums. There is a variety of styles on it, all of them done to perfection. Jim, I will bring my copy of it to M/S and you can take a peek/listen there if you'd like and find the time.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero
Believe it or not, for this type stuff I would recommend the cd "The Pilgrim' by Marty Stuart. It ranks as one of the best ever albums, ever, by anybody. Seriously, one of my favorite top 2 or 3 albums.
That's good enough for me. I'm putting this on my "to buy" list.

Update: Found a brand new copy on eBay, cheap. It's on the way.

www.jimtozier.com

Last edited by Jim Tozier; 10-19-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:54 PM

I think some early progressive rock bands did some interesting guitar work. Check out Gentle Giant, you will not regret it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:07 PM

Speaking of great cds...if you haven't already, be sure to check out Jackson Browne's acoustic solo cd...it live and refreshingly honest. I just love it.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:57 PM
minister of twang

you mention social distortion. when i hear them i think... ah yes, the pogues.

you should listen to the pogues. some great, rockin' trad. there. "rum, sodomy and the lash" and "hell's ditch" are good ones to have, and the collections are good, too. someday i'll do a version of "i'm a man you don't meet every day," which is done brilliantly by cait o'riordan (mrs. ex-elvis costello) on the first disc i mention.

speaking of which, early elvis costello (the attractions collection and extreme honey are must haves) - he was very much influenced by the same kind of stuff you're talking about, the whole twang bar lineage. and nick cave (tho he's very, very dark) also comes to mind. "murder ballads" is a stunning work, but not a happy spin.

and i'd say... even some adrian belew. check "mr. music head" and "coming attractions," among others.

yeah, i'm odd. but i hear things. (getting some help for that.)
l'twangage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell