The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Covers, Requests and Playing Live

The thread about requests at jams got me thinking about requests in general; not just at jams but also during performances.....

Personally, I HATE requests. This is due to two primary reasons:

1. There is ALWAYS some rube in a crowd who thinks it is clever and funny to yell "Freebid" in between songs.

2. Most folks think a guitar is some type of portable jukebox.

Most of the performers I've spoken with also hate having people yell "Freebird" (or Stairway or whatever), but don't seem to have a problem with the portable jukebox issue.

To me the portable jukebox assumption is an insult to the performer. If somebody is performing a set of original music (or original and unique arrangements of other people's music) then it seems obvious that some song that has been played to death (both on the radio or in every other club) is not going to be included in the set list. Obviously, if the set consists of popular covers then it's open season on whatever request the audience would like to make.

I think this also applies to lesser known songs and music. I'll give an example. Occassionally I'll play "Killing the Blues" by John Prine. However, I play Shawn Colvin's version of this song. It's a beautiful piece of music, and to me it's just about the best three chord song arrangement I've ever heard. Music doesn't have to be complex to be beautiful. Anyway, I played this song and got a great response from the audience. Afterwards someone in the audience asked me to play "Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks. Sheesh. This is NOT an isolated issue. It's like trying to have a meaningful conversation with someone who only knows 25 words.

Within the music that I play, I play very, very well. Whenever somebody does hear me play they always ask, "Why don't you ever play live". I usually answer, "It just isn't that much fun to me. It's hard to find audiences that want to listen to me. I play instrumental pieces almost exclusively and very rarely sing." They usually reply with something like, "If you would just learn 'Margaritaville' you could play anywhere!" Personally, I'd rather not play at all. I just don't think the audience is actually listening to me if I play a popular cover.

In the end I've quit playing in front of people.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:19 PM

Good points; I commiserate with you. I think part of this is the "paying your dues to get to the next level" issue (and you can choose to pay those dues or not) and part of it has to do with having a performer's slightly thicker-than-usual skin and being understanding about what people do and don't know about music and performing. Most people who make a request, whatever it may be, don't mean to be boneheads, but from an artistic point of view, they're entirely missing the point. On the other side, from an entertainment point of view, we as performers could also be missing the point if we expect a given audience/venue to simply listen to our own musical creations -- however good or bad they may be. Compromise and art can make interesting bedfellows.

It would be a shame though if it brings you to the point of not performing any more. Try promoting yourself to more appropriate places if you can, and being a little more selective about where you play... maybe a little less playing frequency, but higher gig quality..... But keep playing!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 PM

If you are getting paid to play you need to make the people paying happy. If that includes "Friends in low places" and "margaritaville" I guess that's what you need to play, or either play somewhere else.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:31 PM

As long as they aren't yelling, "Freebird - LONG VERSION!"

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esslewis
Good points; I commiserate with you. I think part of this is the "paying your dues to get to the next level" issue (and you can choose to pay those dues or not) and part of it has to do with having a performer's slightly thicker-than-usual skin and being understanding about what people do and don't know about music and performing. Most people who make a request, whatever it may be, don't mean to be boneheads, but from an artistic point of view, they're entirely missing the point. On the other side, from an entertainment point of view, we as performers could also be missing the point if we expect a given audience/venue to simply listen to our own musical creations -- however good or bad they may be. Compromise and art can make interesting bedfellows.

It would be a shame though if it brings you to the point of not performing any more. Try promoting yourself to more appropriate places if you can, and being a little more selective about where you play... maybe a little less playing frequency, but higher gig quality..... But keep playing!
There's all kinds of gigs. If I'm playing a place that expects covers and requests, that's what I'll do. 'Margaritaville' has made me thousands all by itself. If I'm playing original material in a concert format, I expect people to listen.

A dumb song request is always better than "Is this what you do for a living?" or, "I used to do what you do when I was in law school." Just smile and put up with it.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
There's all kinds of gigs... Just smile and put up with it.

Right on. Requests can be fun. I am fortunate to play with people who can fake just about everything. Sometimes it is a totally surprising hoot to play some weird tune that is someone's favorite. It's only for three or four minutes, so relax, don't worry about musical integrity...in fact, integrity can really be a drag sometimes.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlemagne52
integrity can really be a drag sometimes.

My new favorite line!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:40 PM

Best comeback I've heard:
Went to see Richard Thompson, live, at Park West in Chicago. (Large club, with bar, table seating and a dance floor for standing room). Someone had gotten very well-lubed and yelled "Free Bird!" To which Thompson replied, "What--is Charlie Parker in jail AGAIN????"

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:43 PM

I did the bar thing many, many years ago. I was pretty good, wanted to do a lot of requests, but dang, you can only learn so many songs.... and truly, if you're up on a stage playing for a living, you need to do them WELL! So you've gotta be pretty careful about "winging it".

The most interesting thing I learned during that phase of my life was that creating a party was what the manager of the bar wanted me to do. I joined forces with a guy who could play and sing okay, but man, could he create a party! He was the front man, I sang lead... felt really good to me, the money got better and we got better and better venues. Our most popular stuff- crappy renditions of '50's hits- we gave away shots of tequila to the first person who could name the original artist- we sold 10-20X more shots than we gave away or consumed.... it really "helped" the party.

BTW, I quit that scene when I realized that my job was not really entertaining, but selling liquor.

I'd recommend setting up a tip jar/request jar, and directing patrons to submit their requests via that avenue- that way YOU control what you choose to do, so you never find yourself halfway thru "Fire and Rain" and can't remember the 2nd verse!

Taylor GS limited
Rainsong JM1000
Taylor NS24CE
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m
The thread about requests at jams got me thinking about requests in general; not just at jams but also during performances.....

1. There is ALWAYS some rube in a crowd who thinks it is clever and funny to yell "Freebid" in between songs. ...
I've seen this guy, too. I believe he is either trying to show how cool he is, or is trying to demonstrate that he can control the performer.

One of the best comebacks I've heard:

"There's an alcoholic that should have remained anonymous."
Old 09-01-2004, 07:31 AM

Well, while feeling sorry for yourself about getting a request for Freebird, consider this. I played for several years in a swing jazz dance band. We used to get requests for "A Polka" or "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" aaarrrrhhhggg. I recall the old Eddie Murphy character on SNL. A musician talking about prostituting homself playing such tunes.

Now I choose my gigs carefully. Music is a hobby for me, so I don't need the money from playing. I choose to play venues (pubs etc.) that generally look for the music I want to play. And I believe I"m there to play, not educate the crowd as to what "good music" is. Though when I slip in the odd original piece, I'll study the crowd for thier feed-back.

But.... while there, if I get a request, and I'm comfortable playing it, I'll play it. As the Kinks said... "give the people what they want".
Old 09-01-2004, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E
I've seen this guy, too. I believe he is either trying to show how cool he is, or is trying to demonstrate that he can control the performer.

One of the best comebacks I've heard:

"There's an alcoholic that should have remained anonymous."
or;

'Folks, here's an example of why many species eat their young'

or;

'I give you this year's zero population growth poster child'
Old 09-01-2004, 11:21 AM

or "This is what happens when cousins marry"
or "This is what happens when the fetus doesn't get enough oxygen"
or "Somewhere, a village is missing its idiot"
or the tried and true, "Sorry sir, I work solo."

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m

1. There is ALWAYS some rube in a crowd who thinks it is clever and funny to yell "Freebid" in between songs.

Freebird is not so bad. Why back in prehistoric times (70's) they used to yell WIPEOUT

TJ
Old 09-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b
If you are getting paid to play you need to make the people paying happy. If that includes "Friends in low places" and "margaritaville" I guess that's what you need to play, or either play somewhere else.
My opinion is is that it depends on what you're being paid to do. Are you being paid to play requests, covers, etc.? Or are you being paid as an original performer.

I turn down gigs often where people, who've heard of me through the grapevine, want me to play in a restaurant or other setting and perform the Eagles / Buffet Best Of... type stuff. When I decide to accept one of those gigs, I'll take requests. Until then, feel free to make your requests, but I don't suggest having great expectations of me fulfilling your request.

I always let a venue owner / manager know my package up front, so they know what they're paying for (if they pay, which most don't ).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification