The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Oooooh! G5 iMacs!!

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Thanks to Cakes for the heads-up!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:59 PM

They do nice work, those Apple folks!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 08-31-2004, 04:03 PM

Darn sexy....I'm tellin' ya....before long...all these women office managers will have us ALL converted to MACs cause they are just "so cute"...LOL

Ladies, I'm totally kiddin', don't beat me up for that one.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 08-31-2004, 04:17 PM

looks like the futuristic update to the 20th anniversary model!

i'm not much for 'all-in-1' stuff since if one component breaks, it's a bear to get it fixed or replaced.

i'll bet the cube owners wanted another one of those boxes instead.

/guy
Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM

Don't fall for this lame marketing trick -- they just glued a laptop to a little stand, fergadsake!

No, I'm a huge Mac fan (and one of only two Mac users in my 50-computer-user office) and they continue to push the envelope. One of these would look mighty fine on my desk at home... to replace the iMac I bought 4 years ago....

SL
Old 09-01-2004, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
looks like the futuristic update to the 20th anniversary model!

i'm not much for 'all-in-1' stuff since if one component breaks, it's a bear to get it fixed or replaced.

i'll bet the cube owners wanted another one of those boxes instead.

/guy
I agree, I'm in that camp too. However, it is pretty cool looking.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1rh0pper
Darn sexy....I'm tellin' ya....before long...all these women office managers will have us ALL converted to MACs cause they are just "so cute"...LOL
...and the office IT managers will have us all converted because they don't crash, get viruses, etc.

I'm a macfan as well - 1 of 2 workplace Mac users (30 person company). The funny thing is that out of all our technical people, about 15 of us, 10 of us have Macs at home. Go figure.

--chiba
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 AM

Oh I don't have a problem with MACs, I've been thinking of getting one at home for my studio....

The problem at work is that our industry applications don't run on Mac, only Windows because of development....oh well.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 09-01-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1rh0pper
Oh I don't have a problem with MACs, I've been thinking of getting one at home for my studio....

The problem at work is that our industry applications don't run on Mac, only Windows because of development....oh well.
That is a real sticking point for a lot of pros outside of the Macs music and arts niche.

Luckily for what I do in music and video I have world class apps available on the Mac.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:13 AM

Major mac fan here .

But I have to say I'm not really "feeling" this new iMac.
I really think design speaking it is a major step backwards from the "lamp" iMac.
Maybe I'll feel a little different when I see one in person, but here are a few of my negative impressions:

-What's up with the white? Come on Apple, I thought you were bigger than that. I know it is there consumer line "trademark" of sorts, but geez... I don't even like the white on my iPod, much less the iBooks and iMacs. Would it confuse that many people if this thing was more aluminum looking like the pro line?

-The display mount. Why couldn't they use a VESA standard bracket? They could have made it look almost the same and it would have given users many more mounting options (walls, articulating arms, etc.). Minor grip i guess.

-They spent all that time and development on creating "one wire to provide power, signal, usb, etc" on the pro displays, but on this machine they put an entire bank of connections all the way on one side of the back of the display. Has any one thought about what this "simple, clean design" is going to look like once you plug in your printer, keyboard, scanner, hard drives, camcorder, modem, network, speakers, etc???? RAT NEST!!!!
On my home machine I use every single one of the ports (sans the modem). I can hide this nest of wires on mine because it's in the corner besides the desk, but how would you conceal those on the iMac?

OK end rant.

Wow... I need a hobby.... um wait, that's the guitar.... Uh, I guess I need a life

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastevens
-They spent all that time and development on creating "one wire to provide power, signal, usb, etc" on the pro displays, but on this machine they put an entire bank of connections all the way on one side of the back of the display. Has any one thought about what this "simple, clean design" is going to look like once you plug in your printer, keyboard, scanner, hard drives, camcorder, modem, network, speakers, etc???? RAT NEST!!!!
And your solution to the "rat nest" would be what?

Wireless?

It's coming but right now all of MY peripherals have cables!

It's white because the consumer products are all white and the pro stuff is aluminum.

I like it! a 20" LCD display with a G5 tower this time last year would have been $3299 or so.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:41 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian
And your solution to the "rat nest" would be what?
I suppose all the connectors in the back of the base would be cooler than all those wires hanging from the back of the screen. I love the design but will have to see it up and running before I get all mushy over it.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

I saw this yesterday- WAY COOL!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 AM

You know, it's a constant gripe on the mac forums that Apple is obviously not going to do anything about, but if they'd make a headless (no monitor) version of this for a low cost, I'd be a Mac user. But I've already got the high end monitor for my PC, a G5 tower is overkill for dabbling with the mac side, and the all-in-one packages are a waste of money and desk space for me. If they want to expand their shrinking market share, they really should consider it...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA
You know, it's a constant gripe on the mac forums that Apple is obviously not going to do anything about, but if they'd make a headless (no monitor) version of this for a low cost, I'd be a Mac user. But I've already got the high end monitor for my PC, a G5 tower is overkill for dabbling with the mac side, and the all-in-one packages are a waste of money and desk space for me. If they want to expand their shrinking market share, they really should consider it...
I gotta agree with that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification