The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Voice/Singing Apps?

Do you have any favorite iPhone/iPad apps that have helped your singing technique? Things such as vocal exercises, pitch improvement, ear training, etc?
Old 03-04-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Do you have any favorite iPhone/iPad apps that have helped your singing technique? Things such as vocal exercises, pitch improvement, ear training, etc?
I'm not sure I would start with an app though by all means feel free!

By far the biggest block I come across is with people who never conquer listening to their own voice. Once you are at ease with this then you can work a lot of it out yourself.

Recording and playing back can be scary. If you have a guitar amp with a vcocal channel or a PA try practicing though that. You can stop and start at will, ammend phrase, change pitch so on and immediately appreciate the difference. And all the times you are getting use to hearing your own voice. It is very easy to see problems with pronoiunciation and diction.

Courses can be good as they give you good tips and guidance. Like all training courses if you take away one good idea from a session then you are doing well.

I'll leave you with a tip. When you record smile. It changes the way the muscles in the face work and you become more expressive.
Martin J40
Old 03-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I've read many times that folks wanting to improve their sense of pitch sometimes use a electronic guitar tuner or tuning app for phone to visually check their pitch when singing scales. If using a guitar tuner you do have to make sure it has the ability to use an internal microphone to detect pitch. Many guitar tuners today only have the vibration sensor and not the mic.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you need a human for that!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. Yes, I utilize all of the above—a vocal coach, recording myself, instructional materials, YouTube tutorials, etc. one of my voice teachers recommended a couple of apps: VoiceEarTrainer—it plays pitches, intervals, sequences, etc. that you try to target, and it has varying levels of difficulty. It’s kind of fun, but can be pretty challenging! The OnPitch app is the other she recommended—it’s tracks your pitch as you sing. It’s cool cause you can play and sing into it and it will show if you are on pitch, sharp, or flat. I was just looking for any other apps/tools that folks have found helpful. Thanks
Old 03-04-2021, 09:49 AM

All great responses. And yes, Ear training and developing (or "freeing") your voice are largely two different things.

Couch Standards
Old 03-04-2021, 11:19 AM

Yes there is an iphone app, recomended by a singing coach on this bbc Crowd Science podcast.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszv6k
Old 03-04-2021, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Default App

Look into " Sing and See", it'll show you where your voice is at related to the music and whether on not you're on pitch. I personally use it.
Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write