The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 04:49 AM

Default Shipper Cheshire (UK) Paris (France)

In the near future a friend will be shipping a copy of the 1968 J-185 Everly Brothers from rural Cheshire (UK) to Paris in France. He already has suitable packaging (chips, bubblewrap) and is looking for recent experience and recommendations for a shipper
- respect of planned timetable
- Visible handling damage
- reliability of tracking
- overall attitude of players
- level of insurance included, with the possibility of upgrading
- value for money - but less important here than quality/reliability (sentimental value)

Any helpful remarks or recommendations based on recent experience?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

PS If ANY guitar is a MUST for Silly Moustache’s collection, the double moustache scratch plate edition of the J-185 has to be a serious candidate ;-)

Last edited by Ray175; 01-24-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-24-2021, 05:35 AM

Can’t help you with shipping advice but be aware that post-Brexit the rules, costs and inconveniences associated with shipping from the U.K. to the EU have increased drastically. Even used instruments might incur VAT as the EU will argue that it hasn’t been paid to an EU state (though arguably it was at the time).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-24-2021, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have shipped to the EU a small number of times but don't think I used the same carrier every time. I think I used "parceltogo" to choose the most practical carrier.

First challenge - I believe that carriers will gladly take your money for extra insurance even though the small print will tell you that musical instruments are excluded from insurance cover !! You will need to check this carefully.

However, that was before we lost our EU membership.

I believe that Pieter is quite right - in that any shipment into the EU will now attract VAT at the destination country's local rates, plus handling charges etc.

I have just sent an enquiry to TFOA asking them if they are prepared to ship into the UK minus local tax (currently 21%) so the purchaser pays UK VAT (plus any tariffs, plus handling charges prior to receipt.

This may only make imports into the UK slightly more expensive, but sales into the EU will cost the buyers at least 20% more.

I may be wrong but that is my current understanding.

BTW - I got the Moustachio bridge thing out of my system in the '60s with a Harmony H1265, and later with a '50s SJ200.

Whilst I no longer have a belly, that's my preferred bridge style .... or a pyramid bridge , but then I don't have a pyramid either! Thanks for e thought!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Can’t help you with shipping advice but be aware that post-Brexit the rules, costs and inconveniences associated with shipping from the U.K. to the EU have increased drastically. Even used instruments might incur VAT as the EU will argue that it hasn’t been paid to an EU state (though arguably it was at the time).
I agree Pieter. However, my OCD friend has original VAT invoice so not a problem. Sure, shipping ain’t what it used to be, but it does vary immensely and a few weeks/months extra wait is not a problem when you’ve been “waiting” 25+ years for your lifetime choice.
My own experience, and I have probably done 10-15 uk to france 2021 transactions - not all guitars I must add - is as follows:

1% faster
50% no change
24% plus 7-10 days
20: plus 10-20 days

Totally acceptable to me as a new but probably short-term reality (as opposed to not buying at all.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
I agree Pieter. However, my OCD friend has original VAT invoice so not a problem. Sure, shipping ain’t what it used to be, but it does vary immensely and a few weeks/months extra wait is not a problem when you’ve been “waiting” 25+ years for your lifetime choice.
My own experience, and I have probably done 10-15 uk to france 2021 transactions - not all guitars I must add - is as follows:

1% faster
50% no change
24% plus 7-10 days
20: plus 10-20 days

Totally acceptable to me as a new but probably short-term reality (as opposed to not buying at all.

I hope it works out ok! So far we haven’t been burned with any deliveries from U.K. to Sweden though most have been severely delayed - everything ordered before the end of the year...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion