The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-07-2021, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Another fret-dressing on this SG. I got a bit more aggressive with the file this time, still being careful to not scar up the fretboard or binding. Restrung it with Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt. If it was 90% after the first session with the file, it is 98% now. If it had come in like this, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. This has turned out to be a decent guitar... I look at the buying experience as a lesson learned (won't do business with them again, ever), and the first time in over a decade of buying gear on-line that has been less than expected.

And, no, no bad feelings about the guitar. Very impressed with the Fluence pickups.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

I recently purchased a an Epi Les Paul 59 from GC. No issues with the fret sprout you had, but the frets were like sandpaper. It took me a while to just get the first two right so I paid $50 and had a tech do it. For a $800 guitar you would think they could polish the frets at least a little! Otherwise, a dry fretboard was fixed with some fretboard oil. I am happy overall, but come-on Epi, work with us here!

BTW, good job on the Buffett song!
Old 03-02-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

A "weather day" here in the Tropical Tip, so I spent some more time on the frets on this SG. Third time working on them, trying to be careful to not scar up the binding or fretboard. About an hour and a half today - I got a bit more aggressive than on the two previous "workings"... seems to be a lot of work getting this last 2%. It is a completely different feel now, compared to how it was delivered. All playin', no more messin'.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I have been an Ernie Ball Slinky string guy with my electrics since the 60s. The Cobalts seemed to lose their "zing" too soon. I use Elixir electric strings on my T5, and have been very pleased with those. I ordered in some Elixirs for this SG - UPS dropped 'em off this evening, and I put a set of Light Optiweb on... great sound, nice feel. If these last as long on this guitar as they do on my T5, I will be a happy boy.

The last fret work I did on this guitar truly changed the character. I am enjoying it a bunch. The Fluence pickups are great... no hum until you get into ridiculous high gain, which I rarely do. Smooth and mellow to crunchy. A bit of high gain with these makes me feel like a rock 'n roller again.

So, wrapping up this thread: 4 months now with the Epi SG Prophecy, and it is a keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars