The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-10-2020, 03:38 PM

That BRW there, that's the good stuff. Dark and chocolatey.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:08 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
This is beginning to look like a gorgeous guitar!! Good to know that if you sell a JK and regret it, John will build you another one. Or two or three or... (yep- I'm friends with Paul).

John's guitars have this wonderful tone that is quite something. There's an extra richness and depth to the tone of every JK I've played. I'm sure this is going to be special!

beth
Thanks Beth! I've gone back to this well a number of times. John's guitars always meet and usually exceed my high expectations. Glad you and John have connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Walnut neck! Great choice. I think walnut necks are very beautiful.
Thanks Jamie! Yes, John surprised me with that neck...didn't see that coming. I'm super excited about that look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
It looks like you're off to a great start Mike. I love that creamy set of Englemann spruce and the beautiful Brazilian too. Look forward to following along and see what you and John come up with here.
Hey Doug! Yep I too have always loved Englemann...partly because I like the tone of it, and mostly because I like how white it is. Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That BRW there, that's the good stuff. Dark and chocolatey.
Redir, Thanks for the nice words about the Braz. John told me is is super old...maybe 40-50 years or more...not sure. But I really like that dark look and if ya put a little bit of Paua around that dark braz in a few places it really pops!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats, Woody, on the new build. You know this, but I'll reaffirm you: you're in very good hands. It's already looking great.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-12-2020, 05:23 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow Mike! Congrats on your build. Woods look scrumptious. And you know me and Paua. It will be fun to see John work his magic!
Old 11-12-2020, 06:10 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Congrats, Woody, on the new build. You know this, but I'll reaffirm you: you're in very good hands. It's already looking great.

Steve
Thank you Steve for that re-affirmation. If anyone would know his capabilities best it would certainly be you. John and I have been down a fair number of "roads" and we travel pretty well together. And, at the rate he's putting this one together, I've got hopes that it may indeed be a Christmas baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Wow Mike! Congrats on your build. Woods look scrumptious. And you know me and Paua. It will be fun to see John work his magic!
Thanks Dennis for the kind words. The last guitar had a lot of it, and it was/is just SOOO sweet...had to do it again. Let's just say MANY of those little creatures gave their life for the sake of this guitar lol. Glad to hear you like it too.

Here's a picture of the rosette:

Last edited by invguy921; 11-13-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

That's one gorgeous guitar that is coming together there Mike (and John). That black Rio is some kind of special wood. Every set of the black stuff, IME, has been phenomenal sounding. I think you are in for a real treat Mike!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

The rosette looks awesome, Mike--Congrats on your mulligan BRW guitar!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
That's one gorgeous guitar that is coming together there Mike (and John). That black Rio is some kind of special wood. Every set of the black stuff, IME, has been phenomenal sounding. I think you are in for a real treat Mike!
Thanks Tim for the encouragement. Yes I've "tasted" this wood before and it is quite special. It doesn't have some of the very cool figuring that some pieces of wood have, but what it lacks in a few areas it makes up for where it counts. The wonderful guitar that Jamie now owns just rings with a very "special" ring I've heard in only a handful of guitars. My hope is this one does the same. I'm really optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
The rosette looks awesome, Mike--Congrats on your mulligan BRW guitar!
Nemo...Mulligan!!! Although this is Master's week, and of course those aren't allowed at the Masters, your word choice is So apropo...and THAT just cracked me up

Last edited by invguy921; 11-13-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Making some serious progress now. Ready for the binding and a little blue pearl here and there

Old 11-13-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yum!

John is on a roll!!! This is looking SWEET, and coming together at top speed, too.

Things will slow down a bit when the box goes to Tony, the Finish Wizard, but his work is SO worth waiting for.

Hey, we will have bench mate guitars! Whee

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks Paul! And yes bench mates indeed, as it should be good buddy. Word from John is that some of those pretty blue shells aren’t quite willing to become guitar decorations just yet...so we wait. But it will be worth the wait

Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Loving how this is coming out, Mike. Very happy for you!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-16-2020, 03:29 PM

Awesome that you'll be bringing that 'West Coast' build back into your home Mike. Hopefully a sign that things are looking up, even in these challenging times. Amazing woods, cool design, and a great luthier/partner.
Will enjoy this one!
Old 11-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Thanks Jay!

Here's a couple more progress shots:

John sent this picture of the very cool and very figured Walnut neck he's using for this build.

He sent the following additional info: "Gluing in the neck spline. I'm using JBWeld epoxy for this joint...5200 lbs /square inch tensile strength. With nearly 2 square inches of gluing area the guitar will collapse before this joint fails. Over engineering? At least it's one worry off the table."

Beginning to look like a guitar!!

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do those angled rods do? They seem to be support rods but what are they supporting?

Thank you,
PJ
Old 11-17-2020, 07:11 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Loving how this is coming out, Mike. Very happy for you!
Thanks Mike! Always great to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Awesome that you'll be bringing that 'West Coast' build back into your home Mike. Hopefully a sign that things are looking up, even in these challenging times. Amazing woods, cool design, and a great luthier/partner.
Will enjoy this one!
Thanks Andy! Yep I'm as excited about this one as I ever have been another guitar. Somehow this wood got overlooked by others who had John build guitars and I was tickled to get it. And yes that West Coast size is just perfect for me. Thanks for the nice words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but what do those angled rods do? They seem to be support rods but what are they supporting?

Thank you,
PJ
PJ, Thanks for asking. I'll let John chime in on this if he sees it, but the rods are to provide added support to the neck/guitar body connection because John's builds include a cantilevered neck...that is that the neck isn't fastened or glued to the top. As such, the added support of the rods insures that it doesn't break down over time. I think that is "close" to correct, and if not John will hopefully fill in the needed details.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop