The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2023, 02:38 PM

Default Gibson Nick Lucas owners out there? Vintage or New

Any Gibson Nick Lucas Owners out there? Old or Vintage. I love the slightly deeper Ribs and body size of that particular Pre-war Gibson. I had a friend years ago picked up a 1930s Early Rosewood first version. Few years later ran across a 1936 Maple Nick Lucas. The Maple was killer. I favored it over the Earlier RW. I don’t recall ever getting a chance to play a newer Bozeman’ Montana version. They don’t make many. Here’s a Video of a couple recently crafted Guitars based mostly on the Nick Lucas concept. https://youtu.be/43XcHHkRN9s
Old 02-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

My vote would be vintage--if you can find a good one and have lots of $$.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:32 PM

If you can swing it financially, the vintage versions can be something special. I own a 28 nick lucas and it is the best small body I’ve ever played. There can be quite a bit of variation in the models/years. I saw one just go up on reverb for 60+k if you want to grab that one. Haha
Old 02-08-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamking86 View Post
If you can swing it financially, the vintage versions can be something special. I own a 28 nick lucas and it is the best small body I’ve ever played. There can be quite a bit of variation in the models/years. I saw one just go up on reverb for 60+k if you want to grab that one. Haha
Your talking about this one now doubt! https://reverb.com/p/gibson-nick-luc...cial-1926-1928 That Rare Argentine Grey top finish make it one of the rarest Pre-war Gibsons for sure. Beautiful condition. Some one will snatch it up. Likely the only one ever made to those specs. Bet with that Hog body it sounds good. Wish I was rich!
Old 02-09-2023, 07:31 AM

I do not own one but have always favored the old guitars over the new. But that is pretty normal for me I have been playing Gibsons built in the 1920s, 1930s and early-1940s for decades now. The thing about the Nick Lucas guitars though is it is like Gibson could not get through a year without changing the specs.

What really sets the older guitars apart from the newer versions though is that the NL like other L Series guitars sported a light non-scalloped X bracing. If you want that in a Bozeman-made guitar you are going to have to go the M2M route where they will give you the bracing they used in the L00 Legend.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

If you want an inexpensive NL and want a Bozeman build, then call Kevin Kopp. He built under Ren Ferguson in the Gibson custom shop and now builds wonderful reproductions there in Bozeman using torrified or regular spruce over maple or mahogany and has just started making “closet relic’ed” guitars. He made me a custom maple 13-fret NL but with a 1 13/16” x 2 3/8” spacing back in 2013.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Here is my old 1928. Mahogany, A bracing, 1 3/4 nut. Feather light, perhaps the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. A nice recorded tone, the live tone was a bit boxy for my taste.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-10-2023, 07:15 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
If you want an inexpensive NL and want a Bozeman build, then call Kevin Kopp. He built under Ren Ferguson in the Gibson custom shop and now builds wonderful reproductions there in Bozeman using torrified or regular spruce over maple or mahogany and has just started making “closet relic’ed” guitars. He made me a custom maple 13-fret NL but with a 1 13/16” x 2 3/8” spacing back in 2013.
Kopp is definitely a good recommendation. But also keep in mind Dale Fairbanks who has a stellar reputation for building reproductions with that Gibson vintage tone. I recently snagged my first Fairbanks - this 2013 F-20 Nick Lucas 12 fret (Adi/Honduran). It’s gorgeous and the craftsmanship is superb.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Kopp is definitely a good recommendation. But also keep in mind Dale Fairbanks who has a stellar reputation for building reproductions with that Gibson vintage tone. I recently snagged my first Fairbanks - this 2013 F-20 Nick Lucas 12 fret (Adi/Honduran). It’s gorgeous and the craftsmanship is superb.

I have admired those Kopp and Fairbanks N Lucas for some time. That Burst on your Fairbanks is killer! If I was going to buy a Lucas guitar. I would definitely pay the little Xtra and snatch up a Fairbanks or Kopp. If I ran across a superb older Bozeman Lucas at a bargain price maybe.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:27 AM

I have a 2001 Gibson Nick Lucas Reissue 14 fret - maple back, and it took over as my number one gigger. I bought it in June of 2022 and already has over 150 gigs on it. It sounds as good as any boutique NL that I've heard. And I listened to many before I bought my guitar. I love it.

Here it is featured on two of my original songs with a few day old set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings. Many people may not like nickel strings but I find they mic up great and sound fantastic with a Seymour Duncan MagMic in the soundhole. Because of the maple back the lowend is tight and very resistant to feedback. My live electric sound is VERY close to my recorded sound as the mic in the MagMic pickup loves the sound of this guitar, and the nickel strings work well with the magnetic side of the pickup...

with a flatpick...

fingerpicking...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 02-11-2023 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:

You are preaching to the choir here. About three years ago when I figured I had deprived myself of a Roy Smeck long enough but not being willing to pay what was by that time being asked for a 1930s guitar I decided to take a chance on aa more recent version. I ended up with a Fairbanks. And yeah, Dale nails Old School Gibson Tone.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:26 PM

I think small bodied deep guitars like this are superlative....!

Last edited by nellatrab; 02-12-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Wow and YEAH!!!!

Very nice...and not a dread!

I don't have a NL, but my Cargill Custom is a deep body L-00 shape but built with Gabon Ebony/Italian spruce....the deep body really gives it a full sound!

Better check my Lotto for a NL vintage!

BluesKing777.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:57 AM

Question Recently purchased 1928 Nick Lucas Special

Hi there, I recently won a rather pricey 1928 Nick Lucas Special at auction that is in pretty rough shape and I am looking for NLS specific luthiers that may be able to give me a quote. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion