The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
The traditional models are still there though.
And that's the main point to me.
Martin's doing what they think they need to to interest more and different people, and sell more guitars.

As long as they don't forget who they brought to the party.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:49 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Video is "private" / unavailable. Possibly because Sweetwater refuse to sell outside CONUS or to the UK.
No, it's private for everyone because they accidentally published it as public prior to when they were supposed to.

Absolutely nothing to do with Sweetwater's shipping policy.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadward View Post
I struggle with satin finish on acoustics. That faint "swish" as my arm brushes the body, amplified by the guitar body, sets my teeth on edge. I'm strange that way, though.
Might not be for everyone...most of my guitars are gloss but I've own several Larrivee 03 series that were satin finish and I liked them a lot. Might not work so well on the 41/42/45 but I think it would work on the 18/28. If that's Martin's NAMM offering I'd sure like to play them. And it's not like the standard line won't be available as it currently sits.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I'd suggest that if there is a new model you don't like, ignore it. I'm so old I predate Martin's need to go toe to toe with Taylor. Yep, the good old days, when a D 18 was a D 18. Period. No GE, no Authentic. Then evil Taylor came along unencumbered by tradition. They realized they could get folks hooked on the brand with $500 guitars. Martin had no choice but to build guitars to compete. To me they don't exist. I've done a credible job so far.

It did take me a long time not to be bothered by the Taylor GS mini. I can't play one longer than two minutes. But the kicker is, I don't have to. So I just accept people liking them. A lot of people.

Now here is an interesting take on relics. I love beat up old guitars. I'd buy an Aged Authentic not to have to worry about it. Once you spend over Five grand, worry sets in. Better for me to buy and old guitar than a new guitar at that point. When shopping for a mandolin, I hated the dreaded pinky plant to the bare wood on many of the instruments I could afford. One day I bought a Weber that Bruce reclic'd from his shop, only fifteen years of play wear had caused the pinky plant down to bare wood. But there was all kinds of arm and pick wear done at the factory. To this day, I don't know the honest bumps and bruises from the fake ones. The real pinky wear is just slightly lighter. Go figure, and I don't worry about the thin finish.

So buy what you want and ignore what you don't. Now marketing bs? Fair game.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-07-2023, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Did someone grab this before they took it down? I kinda want to see it now!
Old 02-07-2023, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Did someone grab this before they took it down? I kinda want to see it now!
Yeah...me too!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-07-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yeah...me too!
Here you go, Looks like the wear pattern from Kurt Cobain’s D-18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9BC9003E-07FD-4DF7-8C51-69B23833995F.jpg (38.1 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by mbrewer; 02-07-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:41 PM

Relic'd guitars make me cringe.

Satin finish I like but it will be very strange to see on the standard series. Guild has been doing this for years with the 40 series guitars, you can get the wallet friendly satin versions with a aM&T joint, or the nitro dovetail traditional models. I think it's a good option, Martins are our of my price range mostly, though I'm sure they still will be but maybe a 000-28 satin will creep into the realm of possibilities down the road now?
Old 02-07-2023, 04:47 PM

Wait if this is for their USA made line, and they want to counter PReWar without having to figure out the relic process . . . Uhhh, easy way out n fast buck mode?

I know Fender and Gibson for their electrics, their relic'n is a trade secret . . . but they do it on wood and had to R n D that and figure it out . . . not print a pic and slap it on

I know the import Chinese guitars trying to do quilted / flammed stuff on electrics uses a veneer or even printed out picture n glue it on some even do the 3D pop out with some parts so it feels real . . . but its like those quality stickers used to fake the stamped wax seal for wine etc . . .

But then again Martin n Gibson did the Richlite thing for fretboards instead of proper wood sourcing and kinda / sorta semi totally got away with it . . .

side topic

So the future is lab grown wood? I read an article of science peeps trying to make lab grown wood with customizable features . . . for building . . . or genetically editing trees for wood with X,y,Z features . .. .

Republic Polished Nickel over Brass Tricone
ES Dot
Fender MIM P-BAss
Gender M1M J-8455

Looking 4 an OM . . . so many choices!!! Analysis Paralysis
Old 02-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Am I the only one who thinks that Martin has been looking at the high prices that Pre War Guitars fetch with more than a little bit of envy???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-08-2023, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Martin has been looking at the high prices that Pre War Guitars fetch with more than a little bit of envy???
I think Martin Authentics—especially the Authentic Aged guitars—are the guitars that compete with Pre-War Guitars’ guitars. I’m not sure what this is.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

I just want to add that the D-18, satin, mildly reliced looked pretty good.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Wow I thought these were under lock & key until NAMM. Hmm.
“Welcome to the Internet, Mr. Martin…”
Old 02-08-2023, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

I saw the video before it was taken down. I expect that there are a few red faces at Sweetwater!!!!!

Anyway, the term "printed" is being taken out of context. The reference was to the Martin rep saying it was "like printing". This is not "slapping a photo on a bit of wood". Think of it more like screen printing (for the younger generation that's squeezing ink through a bit of cloth with a stencil directly onto your item - nothing to do with "print screen"). This will be something along the lines of a repeatable pigmentation pattern applied directly into the bare wood - possibly photo captured and then manipulated and then sent to the "printer" through which the guitar top is passed.

Whatever it is, I won't be buying one. But these new products are not aimed at me. There have been plenty of Martin guitars that are no longer made because they were not profitable and didn't sell well. These 2023 guitars may catch on or may be a one year wonder. Perhaps the Road Series is selling well - and so the Board have decided that relic, sunburst and satin is the way to go. This is a US issue anyway, because Martin have absolutely no desire or idea how to export. Yamaha do however, so I expect that next year we will see many more Guild guitars in UK/EU guitar shops now that Yamaha have acquired the brand.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
“Welcome to the Internet, Mr. Martin…”
Sorry, I don't understand your reply. Are you calling me Mr Martin?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion