The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Humidity, Humidity, Humility

In my ever vigilant fight for humidity, my guitars are stored in their cases. They have a Kaiser Lifeguard in the sound hole; a Oasis case humidifier on the inside of the case, and a traveling soap container with a sponge and with holes drilled in it. The case is covered by an Access case cover.

And.. the relative humidity is...24 percent. What do I need to do? Take a bath with the guitar?

Yours in dryness
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM

I've been running a Vicks ultrasonic cool mist humidifier in my bedroom where I keep my guitars. It lasts about 20-24 hours per fill-up depending on the setting. After about an hour, my humidity in the room goes from about 18%(what it has been around this winter) to about 45%.

I , too, was having major problems trying to keep the humidity up. I have two Oasis humidifiers (soundhole/case) per guitar in their hard cases. Like you, I couldn't get above around 25% by just using that method. I then remembered that we had that coolmist humidifier in a closet (along with a couple of hot steam humidifiers). We have three kids, so we always had something on hand for when they got sick.

It is working well, actually better then I thought it would. Only good for a single room, but effective and not that expensive. Funny thing is, the reviews on the vicks site are horrible, but I've had it for about three years now without problems... so who knows....

http://www.vicks.com/en-us/browse-pr...nic-humidifier

A possible solution for you?

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 02-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

During this cold snap, I have two room humidifiers running in the room where I keep my guitars...and the RH hovers between 21-23! Fortunately, thanks to Humidipaks, the RH in the cases - where the guitars remain unless being played - stays steady at 40.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:43 PM

Mine are out on stands, instead of in the cases, and I use this: Honeywell QuietCare Humidifier HCM-6009. RH in my room is 45-58%, with the temperature around 68F. I keep the humidifier on the opposite side of the room from the guitars (don't want to overdo it), with a small fan to increase circulation. And I use distilled water to avoid any residues, and change the filter once a month.

Your complaint is exactly the reason that I stopped trying to humidify guitars in cases. Plus, I don't have to worry about mold developing in the cases, and that CAN happen. Ever see anyone asking about how to get a musty smell out a case? Or a guitar?

And those in-case humidifying solutions can leak, as well. Who needs to open a case and discover something like that? I've read about far too many instances of this occurring for me to risk it. If it does happen, what kind of recourse do you have? Do you complain to the company, cuss up a storm, get a lawyer? It's too late at that point ... the leak has already happened. IMHO, thanks, but no thanks.

I only case the guitars in emergencies, with in-case sponges, such as when the power goes out. And I avoid using the the main furnace with forced air to heat the room where they are stored, which can really dry out the area. I close off the vents, so I'm not humidifying the whole house, and heat the room with an electric oil radiator.

The toughest part of this is refilling the humidifier once a day. Otherwise, everything is copacetic.

... JT
Old 02-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

For some of us in the Northeast, using the basement provides excellent storage. The basement in my house is 42% RH with a temperature that never goes below 60 F.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptonVT View Post
What do I need to do?
Move to the South.

I would go for a whole-house humidifier . . . or at least a whole-room humidifier. Your nose and skin will thank you, too.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Hi Ripton, is the 24 percent humidity in the room or in the case?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM

Do a search...Just kiddingif you are doing all the things you say my advice is throw your hygrometer out everything will be fine. I have not measured RH I just case up in December with sound hole and soap dish humidifiers when the heat comes on and put my guitars back on stands at the end of April. it's not rocket science or brain surgery.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM

I easily maintain RH at 45%+/- inside latched cases with just a couple of 4x6" sponges inside perforated plastic bags. Are you measuring inside your sealed case? If so I would say your hygrometer is way out of calibration. Your sealed case is plenty humid given the sources you describe.
Guitars: Martin 00-28; Martin Custom 00-28K; Martin 000-15M; Martin D-10; Martin D-41; Gibson 1939 L-00; Gibson L-00 Rosewood Studio; Gibson J-35; Fender Stratocaster, Telecaster Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul Junior. Others.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 PM

Well, it's a Oasis hydrometer. If it is out of calibration, I think I'll give Oasis a piece of my mind.

I'm a very fond of these guitars, especially the Martin 00-28v that I bought from a member of the forum. Really best guitar I've owned and I've owned many. It's a 14 fret, adirondack/rosewood ambertone that I want to give to my son when I can't lift my fingers. It's that good to me.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Oh, yes. Closed case, case cover, away from any heat sources. etc., etc. etc.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Guest 2563

My house is so dry that the hygrometer says "L".
I keep my guitars in their cases with Oasis and moist sponges but at this rate I'm considering moving them to the basement till Spring.

Ron
Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM

They are now in the bathroom after having run the shower. The hydrometer on the outside of the case says 84 percent. I'll see what the guitars do in the case in a bit,
Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptonVT View Post
They are now in the bathroom after having run the shower. The hydrometer on the outside of the case says 84 percent. I'll see what the guitars do in the case in a bit,
HyDrometers are used for milk.

HyGrometers are what you have.

HE
Old 03-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
HyDrometers are used for milk.

HyGrometers are what you have.

HE
..or "what you need"

Case solved! :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidity