The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
I’ve got an LL500 , top of the handmade in Japan line from 1998-2003. Beautiful finish and intricate binding with a very articulate sound. It’s a great guitar,very similar in tone to my Goodall. I played an LL26 at the same time I bought my LL500 and to my ear the LL500 sounded better.

LL500 by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

LL500 BACK by KEITH GREENAWAY, on Flickr

Your fine guitar was the top of the production series Yamaha line back then...but...there was also a yet higher end production...Japan Only...line and even beyond that, the full "made to order" custom shop Yamaha series of guitars that were just beyond the beyond in calibre of instrument, but those two series of guitars almost never..ever...made it out of Japan to Europe or the US, or anywhere else.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-05-2023, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Been waiting on my LL36 I ordered 11 months ago. Will be my first opportunity to play any L Series above a 16-look forward to checking it out once it arrives!
O.K., Matt, remember the MANDATORY NGD posting when it arrives.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Been waiting on my LL36 I ordered 11 months ago. Will be my first opportunity to play any L Series above a 16-look forward to checking it out once it arrives!
Nice! Did you order from Sweetwater? Also, any idea on the ETA?
Old 02-05-2023, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Since these need to be ordered, I was wondering if custom features are available. I would strongly consider an LL56 with a 1 13/16 nut. Asked Sweetwater last week but they never replied.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-05-2023, 06:25 AM

Yes, which is why the full model designation is LL56 Custom. Some options can be pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Since these need to be ordered, I was wondering if custom features are available. I would strongly consider an LL56 with a 1 13/16 nut. Asked Sweetwater last week but they never replied.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owm View Post
Yes, which is why the full model designation is LL56 Custom. Some options can be pricey.

Hey owm, since you seem super knowledgeable about Yamaha High End/Custom Shop, a question.

It was my understanding that Yamaha, I think it was a couple of years ago?, was seriously considering closing down their Custom Shop guitar production, did this happen or are they still up and running?

They were going to keep making limited production runs of the higher end 56 and 86 level guitars, but not the fully "build to order" custom models. That would be an incredible loss, and a real shame, if they did IMO, but I never heard what became of that possibility.

Do you know?

duff
Old 02-05-2023, 09:01 AM

Hi there,

The Yamaha Custom Shop at Hamamatsu is still operating. New production models of LL/LJ/LS 26, 36 and 56 are still being made. LL86 depending on demand but since 2006, only 230+ of them have been built in any case. I believe the LL66 is no longer in production though.

The 'Special Order Made' system is still being offered as well but it has always been a very selective and small clientele that will opt for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hey owm, since you seem super knowledgeable about Yamaha High End/Custom Shop, a question.

It was my understanding that Yamaha, I think it was a couple of years ago?, was seriously considering closing down their Custom Shop guitar production, did this happen or are they still up and running?

They were going to keep making limited production runs of the higher end 56 and 86 level guitars, but not the fully "build to order" custom models. That would be an incredible loss, and a real shame, if they did IMO, but I never heard what became of that possibility.

Do you know?

duff
Old 02-06-2023, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Here is Sweetwater's response to my question about placing a custom order on the LL56. I had inquired about customizing with a 1 13/16 nut. It looks the customization options aren't an option for US buyers.

I talked to Yamaha and they said that nut would have to be installed buy an authorized dealer after the purchase. They do not do anything like that on their end. We do though. So you can have our techs do the custom nut install for $199.99. ETA on restock of the guitar is mid May as of now.

The concept of putting a 1 13/16 nut on a 1 23/32 Yamaha neck is a whole 'nother subject

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-06-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Try Sweetwater, sweetwater.com. Carry the entire Yamaha line. If not in stock, can definitely order for you.
During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic I sold a number of my guitars. I ultimately ended up using some of the funds generated to buy an LL56, LJ56, and LS56. I purchased them all from Sweetwater. Two of them had to be special ordered, and as I recall it took some months (4 or 5, I don't recall exactly) for me to receive the two special order guitars.

In terms of quality, sound, and playability I would put the three Yamahas in the same category as my two Bashkins. The Bashkins, if purchased new, would cost two to three times what the Yamahas cost me.

I could be very happy with the LS56 as my only guitar.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
O.K., Matt, remember the MANDATORY NGD posting when it arrives.
Will do, most days I forget it’s on order, so will most likely be a surprise when I get the call!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Nice! Did you order from Sweetwater? Also, any idea on the ETA?
No, I ordered from my local shop, Circle Music in Memphis. Got a loose ETA from Yamaha of January, but that has come and gone obviously. So now day-to-day. My dealer lent me a brand new AC5M, out of the box, to use in the interim (although I have 5 other guitars). Great local dealer, why I wanted to buy from them and not order from a national website.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owm View Post
Hi there,

The Yamaha Custom Shop at Hamamatsu is still operating. New production models of LL/LJ/LS 26, 36 and 56 are still being made. LL86 depending on demand but since 2006, only 230+ of them have been built in any case. I believe the LL66 is no longer in production though.

The 'Special Order Made' system is still being offered as well but it has always been a very selective and small clientele that will opt for it.

I have done business with Miki Gakki who is a Yamaha dealer. I contacted them yesterday and they replied that Yamaha no longer accepts custom orders on the LL56.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-09-2023, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

i've had my LS36 for a few years now, saw it on Sweetwater one day and couldn't believe my eyes as i had been searching for one well over 10 yrs.

fantastic guitar in every way. fit, finish, build quality, tone, playability, out of the ballpark.

i have a couple nice guitars and i would put my Froggy M Deluxe at the top, but the LS36 is right there with it.

best of luck on finding what you are searching for, and i think Sweetwater might be your ticket to acquire one this day and time.

keep us posted
d
Old 02-09-2023, 02:50 AM

Wonder does that have anything to do with Yamaha's purchase of Cordoba Group recently. Maybe some changes in the pipeline.

If that is the case, they should remove the word Custom from the model designation since they no longer accept customization on the LL56; from LL56 Custom ARE -> LL56 ARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I have done business with Miki Gakki who is a Yamaha dealer. I contacted them yesterday and they replied that Yamaha no longer accepts custom orders on the LL56.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:36 PM

Default Tell me about the MIJ Yamaha L series

I’ve loved the L series for about as long as I’ve been playing. Drooled over the Bert Jansch LL-11 that I couldn’t afford back in the late 90’s.

I had an L15A a couple of years back, Taiwan made and a superb guitar. Sold it; I’m an idiot [emoji2959]

Missed it but lucked out on the magnificent LL500 from 2004, same as hoops. Nearly sold that last year too but came to my senses. I’ve also added an LA-8, another belting guitar.

I was recently stalking an LS-400 on Reverb but couldn’t justify the spend and inevitably missed out on it, bit gutted now I think about it [emoji17]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion