The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2020, 05:13 PM

It's large enough and loud enough that it doesn't feel at all like a compromise. Dreads and jumbos are a little too big, they feel like mariachi guitars. The 000-18 sings. The 24.9" scale and 1 3/4" nut and low oval neck make it a very comfortable player. I can almost fret the e string with the weight of my finger. I love the spartan style and the construction is flawless. That's why I like the 000-18
Old 12-14-2020, 11:07 PM

I don’t like the Martin 000 body size. I prefer the dreadnought body Martins.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:44 AM

I have been wanting one for the past few months. I have discovered that of all the brands, Martins in the standard series, particularly smaller bodies seem to hold their value the best. Check out reverb. Youd be lucky to find a used 000-18 for less than $2k. I can get a new one around $2150. As they become vintage they only go up. Now if I could only find a prewar 000-18 for $5k Id have what I really want.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 12-15-2020, 09:50 AM

Having owned my share of guitars over time, my 50 year old 000-18 suits me like no other I’ve had. Understated but very versatile & comfortable to play, with an outstanding neck profile.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
I have been wanting one for the past few months. I have discovered that of all the brands, Martins in the standard series, particularly smaller bodies seem to hold their value the best. Check out reverb. Youd be lucky to find a used 000-18 for less than $2k. I can get a new one around $2150. As they become vintage they only go up. Now if I could only find a prewar 000-18 for $5k Id have what I really want.
Here you go - the mahogany 000 comes in just under $5000 and it's NAME is even Pre-War:

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/ooo-om-1

-Ray
Old 02-09-2023, 04:05 PM
Guest 61722

I'll just be a +1 here for sweetness and versatility. I fell in love with my 000-18 early in my guitar journey and no other guitar I tried after trying that one lived up to my impressions or memory of it. One year on, it's still a keeper, not just because we are accumulating history together, but because it's still the best sounding, best feeling guitar I have played so far.

That said, I am also really enjoying playing my bargain Sigma dread, more than I would have imagined. The spruce/hog dread is another "does everything well always sounds great" guitar.

So a better quality dread is in my future, be it a Martin D-18, a Guild D-40 or a guitar I haven't heard or tried yet. In a different thread, I mentioned Bananas at Large, which according to their website has the D-18, D-40 and a Larrivee D-05 in stock. I want to take a field trip to do an A/B/C comparison. The Guild D-20 would also be a contender if I can find one to try though it is a completely different animal.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:50 PM

I don’t name my guitars but I call this one Scratch for obvious reasons. I’ve owned this 1959 00018 for about 40 of its 64 years. It had a rough period at one point it’s life and the bridge and tuners aren’t original, but it’s still incredible. Like others have said, it’s extremely versatile - it can do anything, and it can do everything.

People always have the same reaction when they play it, which is “wow, this thing just sings”. I don’t know if they’re all like this, but tone just POURS out of this guitar. It’s super resonant like some kind of weird, f’d up, wooden echo chamber. The neck is a slight v profile and it’s the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played on any guitar, acoustic or electric.

I used to gig with it all the time, but now it doesn’t leave the house. If I was to have a signature model guitar, this would be it; scratches and all. If the house was on fire, I wouldn’t have to grab it and run. This guitar would put out the fire and then make me write a song about how the house was on fire. It’s the stuff of legends.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:48 PM

Beautiful sound and harmonics. Comfortable size. The strings wear out quickly but that's because I play it more than the others.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post

I don’t name my guitars but I call this one Scratch for obvious reasons. I’ve owned this 1959 00018 for about 40 of its 64 years. It had a rough period at one point it’s life and the bridge and tuners aren’t original, but it’s still incredible. Like others have said, it’s extremely versatile - it can do anything, and it can do everything.

People always have the same reaction when they play it, which is “wow, this thing just sings”. I don’t know if they’re all like this, but tone just POURS out of this guitar. It’s super resonant like some kind of weird, f’d up, wooden echo chamber. The neck is a slight v profile and it’s the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played on any guitar, acoustic or electric.

I used to gig with it all the time, but now it doesn’t leave the house. If I was to have a signature model guitar, this would be it; scratches and all. If the house was on fire, I wouldn’t have to grab it and run. This guitar would put out the fire and then make me write a song about how the house was on fire. It’s the stuff of legends.
I’m not generally one to make a big deal about birth year guitars, but I’m a ‘59 model myself and if you should ever decide to sell that one (doesn’t sound likely, but IF), please let me know…

-Ray
Old 02-09-2023, 06:13 PM

One of the sweetest Martins I've heard, is this 1944 000-18, of Reeb Willms of Foghorn Stringband. Loud enough to be heard over a fiddle and a hard mandolin lead, she is the rhythm section for the group (only 1/2 present in this video). Reeb doesn't baby it either, takes it all over the world, plays outside, carries in on airplanes as carry on baggage. Marvelous sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zq3lNdKiew
Old 02-09-2023, 06:30 PM

As others have noted, a good mix of understated looks, playability, and rather clear voice. I currently have the Eastman variant in the house (E10OM-TC) and it's a solid instrument. Interesting that it has a bit more overtones than the Martin mahogany guitars I've played, almost in between hog and rosewood. For some like me, the 000/OM body size is a goldilocks. The shorter scale length gives a bit rounder tone to my ear (and lowers tension), and the tone isn't overly busy.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-09-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’m not generally one to make a big deal about birth year guitars, but I’m a ‘59 model myself and if you should ever decide to sell that one (doesn’t sound likely, but IF), please let me know…

-Ray
Sorry Ray, this one is coming with me to the grave!
Old 02-09-2023, 09:13 PM

I have a 2007 000-18 Authentic that I feel is an exemplar of its kind. While its voice is sweet, clear and resonant, this Martin is able to provide growl and bite when needed. As others have written, a 000 is a joy to play and versatile enough for all genres of popular music.
Among the dozens of guitars I've owned, it is the only guitar that is dear to me. A good 000-18 will encourage practice, playing and songwriting. Mine is a treasure.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post

I would really like to sit down in a room with Scratch (perfect!) and my 000-18GE and play both side-by-side.

Bet they have more in common than not. I would be especially interested in the necks.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I would really like to sit down in a room with Scratch (perfect!) and my 000-18GE and play both side-by-side.

Bet they have more in common than not. I would be especially interested in the necks.
Me too - other than driving down to Nazareth, PA, no dealers around here carry a 000-18GE.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion