The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2023, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Question about Emerald lower bout

On their website, they say "Featuring smooth arm bevels and asymmetrical side design for ultimate comfort." (this on an X7, also X10). Does this change the lower bout depth or is this more like a manzer wedge? I know that journey carbon guitars have a contoured lower bout, and they list the maximum and minimum depths. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-07-2023, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Not really the same as a Manzer Wedge, it is a typical (but gorgeous) bevel where your arm rests and what they call a "rib bevel" on the back towards the waist. It all adds to the comfort when playing. On my X10, it doesn't change the depth of the guitar like a Manzer Wedge does.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks, Captain for the info.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-07-2023, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks, Captain for the info.
Sure thing. Reading your question again, I'll address the asymmetrical side design: unlike the Manzer Wedge, where the thickness of the body differs from one side to the other, Emerald's side design is a compound curve on the lower side of the guitar, allowing the guitar to fit better on your leg (it allows the guitar to turn slightly in to you, as opposed to straight across). It's a smart design; one of the many pluses of carbon fiber guitar design is the opportunity to mold in curves that would be difficult, impossible, or very expensive to incorporate in a wooden guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber