The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
If it’s for outdoor use and you are concerned about price and it getting damaged get a Yamaha FG 800, 820 or 830. All have a solid spruce top and dreadnaught size so plenty of volume with not much cash outlay. A couple hundred more will get you an all solid wood Eastman E1D
This. ^. Yamaha FG 830. Big, bold sound, low cost/risk.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

You need to ask everyone in the park to please be quiet, we are playing here

If you are playing specifically for money (busking) you might be out of luck? Especially if your music lends it self to a wide dynamic range. With that said, sometimes a whisper is more powerful ..draw them in and keep them there with the vocals
Or find a quiet corner of the park and enjoy your day.

Sorry, not very helpful

FWIW, your D-28 with medium (newish) strings might get you part of the way there.

How about one of those vintage cheap (electric) guitars with the built in speaker. It’s not an amp (or is it)
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-24-2022, 06:57 AM

The Alvarez AD60 is about $350 USD laminated back/sides and is pretty loud with a nice balance and not too heavy.

If you want to go an all solid route, a lot of players I know have an all mahogany acoustic as that wood handles the elements a bit better.
G&L S500
Old 06-24-2022, 06:59 AM

Best sounding acoustics for outdoor unplugged

Implied but not stated in the original post is the sonic volume to cut through ambient sounds.

That said, the loudest unamplified guitar I know is an X-braced Taylor Grand Orchestra 12 string with a spruce top and rosewood back and sides. It is lightly built and can project an enormous volume of music. Model numbers are 858 and 458-R. Taylor makes 6 string Grand Orchestra models too.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 06-24-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
If you can, choose your spot carefully so natural acoustics will work for you. Anything that looks like an amphitheatre would probably be ideal, but making certain you have something solid behind you (and maybe with an overhang that reflects upward sound waves back).

If the resonator sound is not for you, try to find a used Seagull Performer mini jumbo. These project quite well in my experience.

Maybe, but I must say I appreciate this one and wonder why anyone would want to fight it. I'd hope any city worth living in has rules in place to protect the tranquility of its inhabitants - and around a local parc there are probably going to be more of those who'd prefer NOT to have to listen to music they didn't chose than people who come to listen to that music. The parc may have similar rules to ensure everyone enjoys their visit. Also, a license may be required to organise events drawing a crowd.
The police are not legislators. They are not elected. If you allow them to act outside of the color of the law then they are above the law. While you might think its ok now, as they are enforcing your feelings on other people in violation of the rights of others one day you or your kin will be the victim. By then its to late.

In NYC they have had a ban on amplification in parks without a permit for a few years. Nobody knows about the ban because it was not enforced. Whats happening now, and I see it first hand is the police are shutting down all the musicians/buskers in the parks who use amplification of any kind. They try to shut down even the acoustic folks who are busking for the next meal.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 06-24-2022 at 07:36 AM. Reason: politics
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 AM

Look into a Blueridge. I have played with a few folks who own one. They are all cannons.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-24-2022, 02:02 PM

Default question

Does OP equate 'best sounding' to 'loudest'? Those notions aren't synonyms of each other.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Does OP equate 'best sounding' to 'loudest'? Those notions aren't synonyms of each other.
I agree with you ... but the O.P. did say in the post that his or her present guitar gets "lost" among the other instruments being played in the park so I do think the emphasis may be more on volume than sound quality.

One other factor I think may be a guitar with louder strings. My overbuilt mid-1970s Guild D-55 was a great-sounding guitar ... but it wasn't a great loud guitar at all. So I used medium-gauge strings and a thick pick to try to squeeze every decibel I could out of it.

I know we have had umpteen discussions of "what is the loudest strings" but I do think medium strings, a thick pick and something like the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings may be enough without having to buy another guitar. Plus asking the players to back down a little when you're trying to play a lead.

Btw, the loudest guitar I've every owned ... and it wasn't even close ... was an entry-level Taylor 12 string from years ago. Man that thing was loud!
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-28-2022, 07:42 AM

Thank you all for your input. After blowing out my voice and strumming like mad for three days, I realized that it was worth trying an amp again at a low volume. The police saw me, but didn't question me, so I think we're in the clear. In the end, I need to hear myself and so the plugged in route is just more enjoyable for me. I'll just make sure it isn't too loud.

Keep playing and having fun!
HV
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion