The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

The reimagined D18 didn’t work for me. I tried for six months to get used the MLO/PA taper neck. It was the same with my Gibson J15…sounded great, but not the right neck.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:18 PM

I bought a Gibson G-45 in July of 2019 when they first came out. It never felt right to me. I know that some people love them but I did not.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:18 PM

A beautiful maple 1996 Taylor 422 Grand Concert - felt like a toy guitar and sounded like it too to my ears.

A superb, beautifully responsive maple Huss & Dalton MJ Custom - my hand just doesn't like a 1 3/4" neck - the skin webbing between my finger and thumb would sometimes contact 1E and accidentally mute it - frustrating.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-12-2022, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

What's nice about your replies is it's good to know many if us have bought a guitar that should have been right but turned out to be wrong, for us.
There's a certain comfort knowing I'm not the only one who's bought something when we shouldn't have.
So I guess I'll just have to treat myself to another guitar to replace it, ain't life terrible.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:38 PM

High action is a no go. I'd like to think a lot of this could be fixed with a good setup, barring the need for a reset.

I can't do V necks due to small hands and a classical based left hand.

Have yet to bond with a mahogany guitar.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
My “can’t figure out why I don’t like this guitar” is an electric. A Les Paul, and it’s a decent one. I just can’t make it sound the way I want it to sound. I have another Les Paul that sounds and plays great no matter what, so it’s not like I’m unfamiliar with that model. Oh well. I can see by this thread that it’s pretty common.
Some have this pickup or that.

57 Classics, BB 1, 2 or 3, 490's 496 500, BB Pro's.

Makes a difference.

Myself, I don't care for the 57 Classic's in a Les Paul.

You may not like the BB Pro's.

Everybody's different.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I had a Collings D2H with the Vintage now neck, loved the build quality and the tone, but I just couldn't get comfortable with the way it played. It almost felt as though it was fighting me all the the time.
DO you have an instrument that you loved most of it but...something , maybe illogical , stopped the instrument working for you?
I had exactly the same experience.
Had a Collings D2 in 1994..
Nice guitar but felt very stiff past the 4th fret
Not a high action just stiff!
Old 06-13-2022, 04:23 AM

I wanted to love Eastman guitars. I’ve owned three in pursuit of that goal, but I just can’t fall in love with the tone. I’ve tried Sitka and Adirondack, rosewood and mahogany, but something about them isn’t for me.
Rb
Old 06-13-2022, 04:38 AM

Only ever been two: a gorgeous sounding OM2H, but the modified V didn't work for me and a Guild GAD jumbo with a far too skinny neck profile.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:40 AM

I bought a Waterloo WL-S Deluxe. Wonderful instrument, beautiful, ladder braced, Cherry back and sides, 12 fret, 00 size, Fret marker inlays interesting and fantastic.

The neck was a vintage hard "V". Hurt my hand to play and I just could not get comfortable.

I made money on the sale because of the drop in Waterloo production by Collings and other people being able to work with the "V".
Old 06-13-2022, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Yamaha Silent Guitar, I forget the model number but it’s the steel string version. I had wanted to like it for several reasons, travel being one but most importantly as a feedback-free stage guitar.

However the sound was very sterile, the bass side bouts were attached by the strap buttons which kept working loose, it was in serious need of a setup, plus I had to check the back of the neck to make sure it didn’t say “Louisville Slugger” somewhere. And it just felt weird.

No, it wasn’t to be.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
(...) I just couldn't get comfortable with the way it played. It almost felt as though it was fighting me all the the time.
Oh yeah ! I used to love the shape and tone of my Gibson L-1 1928 Blues Tribute, but its shape could not stay quietly on my thigh !
It was hard, but it had to find another lover !
Old 06-13-2022, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I had a Collings D2H with the Vintage now neck, loved the build quality and the tone, but I just couldn't get comfortable with the way it played. It almost felt as though it was fighting me all the the time.
DO you have an instrument that you loved most of it but...something , maybe illogical , stopped the instrument working for you?
Not that I've purchased, but this is the way I feel about most Collings. Beautiful guitars, great fit and finish, nice tone, but they just don't work for me. I've given up trying to understand why, there are lots of other guitars out there.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-13-2022, 06:46 AM

In my case an early Blueridge BR-140. I really liked the tone quality but could not get used to the very slim neck that these had, ended up selling it. They've since improved the neck and headstock design and the more recent Blueridge models work better for me, I have a BR-160 A and its neck design and thickness are just fine.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:48 AM

I'm test-driving an OM21 that is likely not staying.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion