The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-07-2022, 04:24 PM

Default Neck reset advice requested

Hi. About 6 months or so ago I bought on eBay a pretty smashed up Taylor that I was going to make some wall art with. The body was smashed toward the neck on bass side in back. The guy was parting out the good parts so I bought them too. When I received it, I thought, hey, I can fix this and have a 714CE for less than $800. I was successful thanks to some fine Youtube videoes. I got it structurally sound (good as new in my opinion) and it now plays like a dream. I'm no luthier but felt good after this first attempt and saved a fine guitar. I still need to work a little on the cosmetics but that can wait. I just wanted to get it playing again. I just bought a 2021 Gibson J-185 (also eBay) for $1300. It's on its way now. It looks to be in excellent shape but the seller reports it has an underset neck. I have been watching Youtube once again. I think I can handle that too and consider myself handy. I just really enjoyed this luthier stuff. If it does need a neck reset (dove tail), just wondering if anyone would strongly advise to not try this on the Gibson but maybe practice on a cheaper guitar. Your thoughts? I could pay to have it done and still be ahead but I'd like to do it.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:25 PM

Have you done any previous dovetail neck resets? If not, I'd advise finding some cheapies to practice on. That J-185 is a potentially very nice guitar, and not(IMHO)the one to try your first reset on.

Welcome to the world of guitar repair!!
Old 06-07-2022, 05:37 PM

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the input. No, I haven't. O've installed pickup systems, bridges, replaced frets and a host of other small things but never a dove tail reset. It looks pretty straight forward but I also have seen some videoes where factory surprises were uncovered when the neck was removed. Those are the things I would worry about. Also, the guys making the videoes make it look easy but that isn't always the way things are.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
Have you done any previous dovetail neck resets? If not, I'd advise finding some cheapies to practice on. That J-185 is a potentially very nice guitar, and not(IMHO)the one to try your first reset on.

Welcome to the world of guitar repair!!
Lots of Yamahas need dovetail neck resets and are easy to find and cheap. The OP could practice on those. Somewhere on the net I downloaded someone's instructions with Yamaha's quirks. There is also a market for playable Yamahas.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the other Dave, and would go a step further, even. I've built several guitars and violins, so I'm fairly comfortable around a shop, but neck resets are a whole 'nother ball game. That is one thing I leave to a seasoned pro. Just too many things can go wrong on the removal, even if you do everything right! And shaving the right spots the right amount.....well, that's for the pros also. IMO, that is a skill set acquired only by lots and lots of experience, something a part time guy like me just won't ever acquire. Good luck, whatever your decision. And if you DIY....LOTS of luck!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-08-2022, 09:56 AM

+1 on Dave's comments.

None of us is lacking interest and ambition, but speaking for myself, I often find that I've, in my ignorance, have bitten off more than I can chew.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:39 AM

Never mind.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Lots of Yamahas need dovetail neck resets and are easy to find and cheap. The OP could practice on those. Somewhere on the net I downloaded someone's instructions with Yamaha's quirks. There is also a market for playable Yamahas.
While not a Gibson, this is probably that doc. A lot of good general info that might apply to any reset.

http://yamahavintagefg.com/vintage-y...eset-procedure

And Frank Ford's site:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html#Luthier
Old 06-08-2022, 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=redi;7018579]While not a Gibson, this is probably that doc. A lot of good general info that might apply to any reset.

http://yamahavintagefg.com/vintage-y...eset-procedure

Yes that is the article with downloadable instructions.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Reading the fullness and detail of that Yamaha neck reset doc really makes you want to stick with bolt-on necks (Collings, Taylor, Furch, now Eastman, etc.) and the relative ease of a reset. Or Carbon Fiber, which won't move.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:54 PM

Thank you everyone for chiming in. It has been most helpful. I am still undecided. Right now I am looking for a decent luthier in my area and will get a price from them to help me weigh what to do. Otherwise I will probably be posting again so you guys can help me get out of any mess I might create (LOL).
Old 06-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Maybe when you’ll get it and find it’s perfectly playable tweaking the saddle.

There’s lots of guitars around that are getting played that could use a neck reset that won’t.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:22 PM

$1300 sight unseen for a Gibson J-185 that's in need of a neck reset (?) is quite
a chunk of change, to my mind.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:28 AM

Yes, it's a gamble but the pictures and seller reviews were good. Sometimes I just like to throw the dice. The bridge saddle height looks original. Not sure if this link will work for the pic but it might.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlWkI9NYbI3Lge0U6yY8MvOvLwNIxg
Old 06-09-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

That picture shows a lot of saddle. Maybe it won’t need anything?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
714ce, j185, neck, reset