The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Quick observations on Dunlop Primetone Pick

After reading some of the recent Blue Chip pick threads, I was hot to try a new pick. But I am not ready for the $35 pick. So I ordered the Dunlop Primetone™ Standard Sculpted Plectra with Grip. It's a standard-shaped pick "with hand-burnished sculpted edges, these picks allow for fast, articulate runs and effortless strumming." For me, nothing is effortless, but I like the pick better than my previous choice, the 1.0mm blue Tortex. The grip on the Primetone is an embossed design and it feels good, doesn't rotate in my fingers. I bought picks in 1.0, 1.3 and 1.5mm thicknesses, and I like the 1.0 at this time.

My only complaint: the pick is a transparent rootbeer color, and the only text is in the raised grip; no printing on the pick. So the guage of the pick is sculpted in teeny-tiny text, and it requires an effort and some good light to read which pick is which. I prefer a different color for each guage, as with the standard Tortex picks.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Too bad they don't make them in Jazz III shape. Many makers are offering a "better jazz III", it's surprising that dunlop missed the opportunity.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Bought some to try - nasty, and dead. Back to Blue chips.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:53 AM

I tried some too. Sounded rather dull to my old ears...
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM

I've been trying out the 1.5s today, and while I don't intend to throw away my Blue Chips or my Wegens--which remain my favorite--I like these pretty well. Grip remains a big issue for me, and this pick is not moving around on me.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I just tried a Gravity pick for the first time and am very favorably impressed. I got a Standard Classic in the 1.1 mm and like the feel and the interaction with the strings and the tone. I think it's pretty close to a Blue Chip in terms of playing enjoyment, we'll have to see how it holds up over time.

There was also packing accident -- Gravity sent me a Sunrise XL 3 mm with a hole punched in it and a hard beveled edge. A pick I would never have bought in a million years. But I'll be ****ed if the thing doesn't sound great -- especially on songs with a lot of bass runs. It's no strummer, but it is a cool thing to have in the tool box for the right application. I'm surprised at how much I like this, but I'm sold!
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP McD View Post
There was also packing accident -- Gravity sent me a Sunrise XL 3 mm with a hole punched in it and a hard beveled edge. !
it's not, he often includes one free pick with any order.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:59 PM

Default Dunlop Primetone Standard Sculpted Plectra

I have been comparing the 1.3 and 1.5 gauges with the JP Fast Turtles (thin and medium). The JP picks are great, but the thin is a little too soft and the medium is a little too thick and I seem to get too much extraneous noise with the medium one and not enough control with the thin one.

In contrast to the FT's (and also the ordinary amber colour Dunlop Ultex picks), the new Primetone sculpted picks are a step above in terms of less (or none) pick noise and a greater degree of control over string volume and tone with the picking hand.

I am leaning towards the 1.5mm standard shape, as I have been using it on a guitar strung with medium gauge strings. I have yet to spend time on a guitar strung with lights to see which gauge I prefer in that scenario.

It is an inexpensive experiment - unless you want to go with Blue Chip - but after playing with the primetone for a few days, my inclination is to stay with the Primewtones for the foreseeable future and I am feeling no need for further experimentation. The Primetone helps to open up the sound of the guitar and provides more scope for exploring the different tones and flavours that the instrument has to offer.

BTW, I have no financial interest in Dunlop or these particular picks.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:05 PM

I really like the PrimeTones, the smooth surface ones, especially the 1.3 mm.

I can't afford to pay $35 for a tiny piece of plastic or whatever it is. Even the price of the PrimeTones, which has nearly doubled in many cases I've discovered, is more than I ever thought I would pay for a pick so I have to be very careful I don't lose the few I have been able to buy.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-23-2022, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I have been enjoying the PrimeTones I have purchased. I am using 1.5mm. I use a variety of picks and I find that for different songs, different picks seem to work better.

- Glenn
Old 06-23-2022, 08:12 PM

I have some PrimeTone smooth picks. I tend to use the .88 the most. But, I recently discovered medium heavy d’andrea picks and I love them. The celluloid they use is superior.

I have some blue chips too. Never use them.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
Too bad they don't make them in Jazz III shape. Many makers are offering a "better jazz III", it's surprising that dunlop missed the opportunity.
They do! Bought some a while back. I’ll look up the source if you need.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:27 PM

I have a couple Primetone picks that I like, but the Blue Chip is my favorite.
A bit pricy, but well worth the cost.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:27 PM

I always keep a few sculpted triangle 1.4's in the pick box. When you need them, you REALLY need them.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Primetone Teardrop 2.0mm is my universal favorite and huge-value pick. Bluechip TD80 is my all-time fave, but the Primetone is an easy substitute. Love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion