The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 01:02 PM

I have both the grip and the smooth version. The smooth ones sound and feel better, closer to my bluechip.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 06-24-2022, 02:14 PM

I switch between the Primetone 1.5 and 2.0 sizes. I love the bevel they have and the raised/etched center grip works for me. I never thought I would leave the ubiquitous Fender 351 Heavy pick behind, but I can’t go back to them anymore. They feel like little toy picks compared to the Primetone.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

There have been lots of threads on these picks in various fora. The explanation about the difference in tone and color of the grip vs. smooth is pretty simply that the grip version are pressed into a mold and just isn't as dense as the smooth ones, which are cut from a sheet. Makes sense to me.

I generally use the 1.5 smooth ones, though I have a few of both 1.5 and 1.4 grip versions in little bags of spares I have.

I still like the smooth ones on my guitar, though my Silvertone gets a bit brighter with the grip, so I use those on that one, and sometimes my old "Rogers" when the strings really need changed .

I have moved away from the Primetones on mandolin though, where bring out too bright a tone for my preferences.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
There have been lots of threads on these picks in various fora. The explanation about the difference in tone and color of the grip vs. smooth is pretty simply that the grip version are pressed into a mold and just isn't as dense as the smooth ones, which are cut from a sheet. Makes sense to me.
I wondered if the smooth ones were moulded too, as both the ones I have around have a little ding in the centre of one edge that looks like where the moulding sprue was attached. I haven't quite bonded with the couple of Primetones I have - my favourites across several instruments are a Wegen TF140 and a Hawk SB casein pick, and my favourite cheap backup that's in every case pocket are simple extra heavy 346 shape celluloid picks.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 06-24-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
The thread is from 2014. So I doubt s/he is still looking. And likely in 2014 that shape was unavailable.
The original poster is still present, thanks.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post

I generally use the 1.5 smooth ones, though I have a few of both 1.5 and 1.4 grip versions in little bags of spares I have.

I still like the smooth ones on my guitar, though my Silvertone gets a bit brighter with the grip, so I use those on that one, and sometimes my old "Rogers" when the strings really need changed .

I have moved away from the Primetones on mandolin though, where bring out too bright a tone for my preferences.
Thanks for that information, Keith.

I have versions of the Primetone large triangles at 1.5mm and the smaller smooth, teardrop shape 1.5mm and there is a slight difference in tone. I like the sound of the teardrop shape a little better, but I didn't realize it was a little thicker. Now that you mention it, though, it does make sense.

In some cases I do a better job of holding on to the large triangles, so I use them also.

I am working on a cover of the Stones' "Angie" and I find that the Wegen Bluegrass 1.4mm pick and the Primetone 1.5mm picks sound very similar on my Gibson AJ. I keep bouncing back and forth between the two Primetones and the Wegen as I practice this song. I have tentatively concluded that the best sound seems to be the Primetone teardrop at 1.5mm, but I could change my mind at any time.

- Glenn
Old 06-25-2022, 03:37 AM

I play normal shaped Primetone picks but with the rounded end. I have 1.5mm and 2.5mm and both have their uses. I will get more gauges.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargelin View Post
I play normal shaped Primetone picks but with the rounded end. I have 1.5mm and 2.5mm and both have their uses. I will get more gauges.
Me too. I've been playing with the rounded end of standard shaped picks for so many years it feels odd to use the point.

While I do occasionally use Primetone picks both smooth and standard grip (1.3mm) - My actual favorite - most responsive pick is Clayton Ultem Standard, 1.20mm Gauge, Matte Finish
Old 06-25-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
The original poster is still present, thanks.
I am still using Primetone with grip, large triangles, as I was in 2014, and also the Dunlop Flow in 1.0. These are very much like the Primetones in sound and feel.

I have never chased the perfect pick. Maybe I'm easily satisfied. Would rather just play. But I understand the pleasure of the hunt, and of building experience.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I am still using Primetone with grip, large triangles, as I was in 2014, and also the Dunlop Flow in 1.0. These are very much like the Primetones in sound and feel.

I have never chased the perfect pick. Maybe I'm easily satisfied. Would rather just play. But I understand the pleasure of the hunt, and of building experience.
Like you PH, I like Primetones with a grip at 2.0, and the Dunlop Flow design John Petrucci 2.0. Excellent bevels, really fast and luxuriously smooth. Both work equally terrific on acoustic, electric and mandolin.

My son gifted me a very expensive pick for a birthday two years ago. It was in the abyss faster than I could remember. I go through pick like water. Custom, uber expensive picks were not made for me.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:49 AM

I'm nutty about picks. I still will use a smooth finish 1.2 or 1.3 Primetone on acoustic guitar sometimes. They've moved down the hit parade on my constant alternation of picks over the years, but I still sometime think they're right for my needs some days. I also use the rounded point triangles sometimes, another option they offer, and those might be just the pick for someone who plays with the shoulders of a standard 351 shape.

I use the much thicker black heavy embossed scored Primetones for playing electric bass. Though sold in the Primetone lineup, they are rarely discussed here.

I rarely like the embossed Primetones on acoustic, but I will use them on electric sometimes. Speaking of electric, I really like the Andy Johns signature model pick, sort of a 351 meets sharper point jazz teardrop shape, Ultex material, and a small symmetrical bevel around the whole pick.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-25-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I have a half dozen Primetones. I play them a while and then decide that I like plain old Fender Celluloid Heavy better. I play the Fenders a while and then decide the Primetones are better. Luckily I have plenty of both and haven't branched out. So it just depends.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-25-2022, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

A Primetone brings out the treble of my 1913 A1 Gibson mandolin, but I like Blue Chip and Charmed Life better. Charmed Life casein picks are my fave now, but BCs are very good too.

In these I'm not going to buy a $35 pick comments, the commenter is shortchanging themselves, because if you don't like them, you can sell them in a heartbeat, and if you do, they bring you joy. I thing everyone was, like me, there at one point.

There is a valid point in not playing that D 28 Authentic though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-26-2022, 11:43 AM

I have used Primetone picks for some time now and I really like them. I like the smooth standard 1.3 model and used it until I developed some issue with my hands that made gripping the pick a little difficult at times.

I tried the raised version but just didn't like them. Then I tried the triangular size but they were too large and never felt comfortable. And besides they don't come in the 1.3s that I like.

Then I found the smaller triangular ones. They aren't as tall as the regular standards but they are really close to the same width. And they offer a 1.3 size. I combine this with a monster grip on both sides of the pick and it gives me a grip and feel that I like much more than the raised version. In addition, the identification markings on the pick haven't rubbed off--at least yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion