The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
So, the history of Waterloo guitars may become. While Bill was alive, after Bill passed, pre and post Covid and the move to a new shop. Someday we can discuss the varying aspects of Waterloo guitars.
Maybe we'll be comparing the virtues of "pre-apocalypse" and "post-apocalypse" Waterloos around a campfire!
Old 06-23-2022, 12:13 PM

Don’t know if this is allowed but here’s a fabulous one at elderly right now

https://www.elderly.com/products/wat...41706739892415
Old 06-23-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DKE_ View Post
Don’t know if this is allowed but here’s a fabulous one at elderly right now

https://www.elderly.com/products/wat...41706739892415
Interesting, selling for $1000.00 more than I paid for mine which I bought new in 2017.

Should have bought a couple hundred back then as an investment.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:26 PM

Elderly had a black WL-14 the other week and it was gone just after I saw the ad....

Saw one WL-14 lefty on Folkways....

Reverb.com has 10 or so, mostly ladder WL-14s....so they are getting back out there a bit.

Oh yeah, a shop not too far from me had an X for a second....some lucky and happy plucker grabbed it real quick, double new price or something.

Yep, should have bought the whole range when they were first out! But very happy with my X and L.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Lark Street Music, in its “just in” page, has a WL-K and a rosewood Jumbo King, but no pics unfortunately.

http://www.larkstreet.com/cgi-bin/st...ile=justin.txt
Old 06-23-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
Lark Street Music, in its “just in” page, has a WL-K and a rosewood Jumbo King, but no pics unfortunately.

Click on the little guitar to the left of each listing to see the photos.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

Update :

Uncertain as to the positio0n, but knowing that Collings are quick to respond to customer queries, I wrote to them asking. This is an extract that I got in their reply :

While we did shut down for a short time during the start of the pandemic, we have continued producing instruments since we returned to the shop only a few weeks later. We did come back with a reduced crew size, meaning less instruments overall and a much stronger focus on Collings versus Waterloo. That said, we have continued to build Waterloos, albeit in very small numbers.

Combined with that, demand all around has increased significantly, which is an industry-wide thing, and the lowered production combined with higher demand has resulted in longer lead times. Order lists for Waterloos, in particular, became so long that we decided to stop accepting new Waterloo orders until we could catch up on current orders. With the lowered production and such a long list, though, we have not begun accepting new orders through dealers, and there is not yet a timeline on when that might happen. Due to this situation, much of what’s currently being built in the Waterloo line is presold, and we are not currently offering the WL-AT or WL-M.

Bruce recently retired after spending a long time training our head of production, Steve “Nully” Nall, to takeover many of his responsibilities.

Collings is still family-owned by Bill’s wife, and we have a fantastic team of three in charge of running everything: Steve, Clint, and Ruth, all long-term Collings people who knew Bill well and worked with him every day for many years.

I hope this helps,

The reference to Bruce Van Wart is because I knew that he had been the "secret master" of the thicknessing of Collings Tops for so long. Sad to see him go, but I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 06-24-2022 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post

That’s an early WL-K and I would say a very fair price! Good find.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wilder1 View Post
That’s an early WL-K and I would say a very fair price! Good find.
If I didn’t already have a couple Waterloos I’d be interested in both!

Silly: Thanks for update from Collings on Waterloo production.

Bruce’s retirement was announced in March. Sad when key people leave but he did a great job and many of us enjoy the guitars he voiced.

Last edited by CopyCat; 06-24-2022 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 06-24-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I am assuming that the term "order list" means that the guitars have been ordered by music stores. It would make sense that music stores want Waterloo guitars to sell and have put in orders to acquire guitars. If I were interested in purchasing a Waterloo guitar, I would start calling music stores and arrange to purchase one that they have on order. Music stores are arranging to sell Martin D-18 1937 Authentic via pre-orders so why not Waterloo guitars?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-24-2022, 04:34 PM

Here is a silly Waterloo foible......of mine...

Now I understood Bill to be quite pedantic about what the specs of the Waterloo WL-14s would be as he worked long and hard on it. And a lot of guitarists were looking for something like he was working on...L-00 size, light, 1 3/4” nut and 2 3/8” bridge space, no frills fingerpicker with vintage sound and vintage style V neck but good intonation ......ready to play, instead of buying some vintage guitar that needed work.

So my question is - did Bill ok the smaller neck versions that are confusing me but pleasing some people? Or where changes like that put through after his passing? Were the famous glue drops still left?

Edit to add:

Just did my weekly C blues, capo on 3 practice for about half an hour, morning here. Played my ladder Waterloo WL-14L - perfect, just perfect! (start with simple Hurt tunes x 3, then Davis, then Stokes then Davis, then a bit of semi improvised C blues!, then a couple of Hurt style gospel blues...all in C, capo 3.)

I used to think I was easy pleased but I am not! I am really, really hard to please. Thanks again Bill - you nailed the guitar!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 06-24-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:35 PM

I wish I had an answer for you but my guess is that the smaller necks, tidier builds, and truss rod options were not his vision. It’s something that I think he wouldn’t have wanted to budge on either but I’m guessing he did when the market spoke underneath all of the excitement and rave reviews.

Factually though, my WL-S is before his passing in 2017 (has the old paper logo) that has a smear of glue on it and the carbon fibre T-Bar. You can also find some glue spots if you look under the hood around the braces.

But I wouldn’t change it personally. I love the vision. The guitar is feather light, simplistic yet beautifully crafted, and has a gorgeous tone. No complaints here!
Old 06-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

My WL-S and Deluxe were made when Bill was alive, and they both have the thinner neck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 06-26-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
My W-S and Deluxe were made when Bill was alive, and they both have the thinner neck.

Thanks for that!

Did the WL-S models come with a big V neck option like the WL-14s or just a thinner neck as the original design?

I don’t really care, I have mine! (But if another came past, like say an all mahogany, well you know...I could be persuaded, but don’t want the newer small neck options).

BluesKing777.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks for that!

Did the WL-S models come with a big V neck option like the WL-14s or just a thinner neck as the original design?

I don’t really care, I have mine! (But if another came past, like say an all mahogany, well you know...I could be persuaded, but don’t want the newer small neck options).

BluesKing777.
The WL-S models have only had the original neck shape. They describe it as a soft V, and it’s definitely smaller than the WL-14 or WL-12. I have one, it’s very comfortable for me.

The “smaller” neck shape for the WL-14 and WL-12 really aren’t small. My WL-12 with the rounded “lower profile option” is about as big as I can handle.

They’re both great guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion