The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-13-2022, 03:13 AM

Default neck crack repair

Hi everyone,

During routing i made a mistake and I tear off some wood at the end of the neck, see pictures, then I decided to remove that chuck of wood and glue another piece of it and re-route. As you can see from the last picture the joint line is visible, do you think I can cover it someway ? how ?

https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?...N3EFJpnfcHC6zV
Old 06-13-2022, 03:56 AM

No.

The human eye is drawn to straight lines and circles.

The first main issue you have is the graft will encompass one of the mounting holes of the neck, so if you proceed the neck will really only be held on by the other three bolts / screws

Personally, I would scrap the neck, retail wood (dressed) would be 30 dollars worth, luthiers wood (undressed) is 2 dollars worth, time to get back to where you are is less than the time it would have taken to make that graft.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-13-2022, 06:13 AM

Install a piece of wood and then a finger board over top? It will mostly be in the neck pocket so wont show.

Or, as mentioned, make another neck. Takes about an hour to get to that stage and $5-10 wood.

You could cut off the heel end and use the damaged neck in a 3/4 guitar or electric mandolin.

I had the same issue on the headstock end. On the end grain, I now saw as close as possible then drum sand the final bit.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:04 AM

Default a thought

Way too early in the build for workarounds. Get rid of the damage entirely. New neck (maybe half a new neck. split the current neckdown the middle with a lamination between pieces. Lemonade tastes good.).
Old 06-13-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm with fathand, if the fix can be done in less time than starting from scratch, it should function fine and only be visible on closer inspection than anyone but you will ever see.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:35 PM

If it's for a customer, make a new neck. If it's for yourself, you can join a piece of wood using a long scarf joint. The end grain butt joint you have on one side of your replacement wood is not acceptable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
neck repair, routing error