The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

While I admit to having an old Strat and a fretless bass in the closet that I only keep for sentimental reasons (haven't opened their cases in 20-30 years), I only own one acoustic guitar at a time. That has worked well for me....to each their own.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

When reading a thread with a subject line such as this one, I tend to get nostalgic for those days when I only had one guitar - an early 1970s Goya G10 classical. There is one in the local CL right now and I am tempted just for the nostalgia.

During that time of the G10, I was pretty much musically single-minded, and one guitar was plenty for me. Then, I got the job in a trio gigging full time for a few years. During that time, I met and hung out with a variety of pro musicians, many of whom were quite well known. I did this for a couple of years, before deciding I didn't like being on the road all the time.

During that time, I was exposed to a variety of musical styles and appropriate types of guitars, including the electric I needed to play in the band. I was no longer satisfied with just one guitar, but the upside was that I learned more about the language of music than I could have possibly learned on my own without going toa music school. I am still learning today, but I got the foundation I needed to continue on my own. There is always more to learn as far as I am concerned, and that is what keeps it interesting for me.

I have too many acoustics, and have been considering selling off a number of them at some point. I have my Gibson Howard Roberts semi-hollowbody electric for chord melody and that sort of thing, and a classical guitar (which rarely gets played).

The finest guitar I own in terms of boutiqueness is my Huss & Dalton 00 12 fret, which with its wide fretboard, is essentially a steel string version of a classical. Newer Huss & Dalton 00s don't have that wide 1 7/8" nut.
However, it is perfect for fingerstyle that borders on classical, but for most other fingerstyle, I think my Taylor 912ce or K14ce BE would be ideal. So suddenly, there are 4 guitars right there.

In the winter, I put away my wood guitars and take out my carbon fiber McPhersons.

So for me, one guitar just won't do.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-27-2022, 08:21 AM

This is a concept I am sympathetic to.

I have been a drummer most of my life, but picked up ukulele about 13 years ago. I had given up on the guitar after trying to learn a few times on my own.

I have since gone back and forth between Uke and guitar several times. If I had stuck with one or the other I would be a better player.

I have made enough progress to continue on with the guitar, but I wrote several songs on the Uke and love playing it. The reentrant tuning is very enchanting. Maybe if I could afford a baroque guitar that would work for me.

I am inspired to put my Uke away for a while and figure out ways to play the songs I have written for the Uke on my guitar. The temptation for the Uke is that it’s easier for me to pick up and play. But that time takes away from the guitar.

I have seen the freedom that limitation can bring. Nothing wrong with options or variety. Limits also can inspire creativity too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I am not selling my Uke and Guitalele yet. But I am going to try and act like I only have one guitar for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion