The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 AM

Default solo flatpicking guitar

Was wondering if anyone performs solo flatpicking acoustic instrumental, much like a classical guitar player would. Not just bluegrass but other styles.

I think even performing classical guitar on steel strings sounds great.
The flatpick brings out a special tone and clarity to a tune.

thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 08:08 AM

I mainly do flatpicking, but the only instrumental I do is classical gas. I used to do it fingerpicking, but I've learned to do the same thing with a pick and I think it sounds much better and I agree about the tone of the flatpicking. I can't image however doing a classical piece using a flatpick, unless you had a thumbpick or something. I think that's one of the great things about people who use the thumbpick like Tommy because you can get those great tones that you can only get with a pick but you can still get all the other types of sounds obtainable with fingerpicking. The only thing I don' like about thumbpicks is that they're all so **** stiff, so I cut the end off of one and hot glued a medium guitar pic to it. Works pretty well and when you strum it feels right. I find that no matter how loosely i hold my wrist I can't get a soft enough strumming sound using a typical rock hard thumb pick...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:25 AM

Isn't Dan Crary a flat-picking soloist with a repretoire that goes beyond bluegrass? I ask because I haven't heard him though I intend to listen to his work.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM

I once saw Doc Watson, years ago before Merle died, in a duo performance with Merle. Problem was, Merle had the flu at showtime. So Doc went up there and laid down a two-hour show of solo flatpicking, flawlessly. I've never seen anything like it. There was absolutely nothing lost. Merle would have added texture but the music stood very well on its own.

I saw Tony Rice a couple years back in an ensemble setting, but he played a couple solo tunes flatpicking, one of which was so tender it actually made my wife cry.

Of course both these guys are masters - THE masters - of the art of flatpicking, but surely it can be done and done well.

I've got a couple older tunes in a solo crosspicking style that I plan to re-record - thanks for reminding me of that little project.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Check out Norman Blake.

No Depression magazine called him "hillbilly baroque"

(or was it old-time baroque????)

JasonE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell