The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2023, 09:43 AM

Default Martin D28 -10 gauge strings to 13 gauge?

Hello. I have just acquired a beautiful 2014 Martin D28 guitar. The previous owner installed Elixir 10 gauge strings on it. I would like to replace these with Martin Authentic Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 Medium 13-56 strings but I am not sure whether there would be any problems for the guitar if I jumped straight from 10 to 13 gauge, for example would I be stressing it and possibly causing damage with too much sudden increased tension?
Do you think it would be ok to go ahead and do this please? I would measure the neck relief and adjust the truss rod accordingly.
Thankyou for any help you can give.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:50 AM

The guitar is built to handle mediums and 185 pounds of tension. Wearing 10's at ~135 pounds was like driving an Indy car at 55 mph. If you really are worried, take it in steps. Put on 13's and tune D-d, which at ~145 pounds is less total tension than lights at E-e (160 pounds). I'm sure it will sound MUCH better with some tension driving the top.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

If the guitar is physically sound, there's no reason heavier gauge strings (13s are mediums I'm told) should present any problem.

Just for the sake of curiosity, maybe measure string height at the octave with the 10s first. And then again during/after the installing the 13s.

As suggested above, I'd be inclined to first tune the guitar to a lower key (maybe 2-3 semi-tones), check the height again and play it a bit. Then come up incrementally.

--------------------

Maybe a good idea, maybe not. When adjusting a truss rod, I've always made it a habit to loosen it a tiny fraction of a turn first (before tightening). This sort of breaks things loose, especially on old/used instruments with unknown maintenance history. I discovered that one used electric plank I took in a trade was already cranked as tight as it could go. Reefing hard on it straight-away would've been a mistake. Luckily, I was going lighter, which gave me some slack to play with.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-11-2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:17 AM

Your in for a thrill when you put those 13s on, your going to get so much more from that guitar. All that will be required is a little tweak on the truss rod and if your not comfortable working on your guitar you can put on the strings and when you notice that the action is a little higher take it in for a set up.

So many people are afraid to touch their truss rod, if it's frozen don't force it take it in and have it looked at. Here is a video that explains how it works and how to adjust it. Congrats on your new D-28 they are great guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgD6BXcAJM
Old 09-11-2023, 10:18 AM

or go to 12s first?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

As you expect, you'll probably have to adjust your relief a smidge, but a D-28 is built for 13's. But in regard to whether or not you might damage the guitar, I wouldn't give jumping from 10's to 13's a second thought.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 09-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

In addition to the likelihood that you'll have to adjust the truss rod a bit, you may also have to lower the saddle a touch to maintain the same action, as the top might deflect a bit more under the greater tension.

There's also an outside chance you'll have to enlarge the nut slots a bit, if the PO had a new nut cut or filled and refiled.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-11-2023, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
If the guitar is physically sound, there's no reason heavy gauge strings should present any problem.

.... snip ........
Hi Tinnitus et al, I'm pretty sure you meant to write/say Medium i.e. 13-56) rather than heavies - (14-59) which are really not recommended for modern Martins - or anything else much nowadays.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
If the guitar is physically sound, there's no reason heavy gauge strings should present any problem.

Just for the sake of curiosity, maybe measure string height at the octave with the 10s first. And then again during/after the installing the 13s.

As suggested above, I'd be inclined to first tune the guitar to a lower key (maybe 2-3 semi-tones), check the height again and play it a bit. Then come up incrementally.

--------------------

Maybe a good idea, maybe not. When adjusting a truss rod, I've always made it a habit to loosen it a tiny fraction of a turn first (before tightening). This sort of breaks things loose, especially on old/used instruments with unknown maintenance history. I discovered that one used electric plank I took in a trade was already cranked as tight as it could go. Reefing hard on it straight-away would've been a mistake. Luckily, I was going lighter, which gave me some slack to play with.
Just wanted to reiterate this point. If the guitar was set up properly for 10s, the added tension going to 13s is likely going to change the relief and, as other have mentioned, will likely require an adjustment of the truss rod (at a minimum). You don't need to know what the relief was before you make the switch, but I think having the measurement will be useful as a reference.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:52 PM

Thanks for all these replies the advice is appreciated. I'll put the 13s on when they arrive and start off with a 1 tone 2 fret detune just to ease my mind and then work up from there. If there's any any problem after my truss rod adjustment there is a decent luthier in the area.

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:08 PM

Yes, tuning down 1/2 step would be a good way to introduce the heavier, medium gauge strings to your guitar.

If you are like me, you may keep the guitar in that lower tuning.
I like it lower for vocals and for the lower tension, which makes it easier to fret the guitar.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Tinnitus et al, I'm pretty sure you meant to write/say Medium i.e. 13-56) rather than heavies - (14-59) which are really not recommended for modern Martins - or anything else much nowadays.
I play rock/blues with lots of bending on 11s and mistakenly thought 13 was heavy. So "Medium" it is. Or perhaps "Venti?" LOL

Seriously, I had no idea. Thus, I've edited my first post above (#3) to say "heavier" so I don't lead anyone astray with "heavy" telegraph cables. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-11-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

.10s on a Martin dread is like dressing Marilyn Monroe in a mumu. So much wasted potential.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gauge, martin d28, strings