The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Runner View Post
. Beautiful playing on that Comparison Glen. I listened twice with good Headphones. The Santa Cruz seemed to have very slight mid/Bass over the Collings. The Olsen maybe the most balanced, but difficult to evaluate with the high Capo. The all sounded amazing.
Thank you Sage. I had fun with that recording project.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Ah, your Olsen has that cedar I call "Chocolate Cedar," that I've only seen on Olsen's guitars. The last time I saw that was when I was working with Phil Keaggy. He played out his first Olsen for the last time when he came to visit. It sounded lovely but the top looked like it had served as the standing space for a golf driving range or cheeks after acne. It was beat up!

Bob
Hi Bob,

Yes, that chocolate cedar color. I have never seen that color on a guitar other than an Olson, either. The color kind of matches the sound.

Cedar does nick up pretty easily. It sure is soft!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Beautiful playing Glenn, The Santa Cruz wasn't to shabby either. ...
I agree, that Santa Cruz stood up in the comparison very well! I had the same reaction, not when I was playing, but when I was producing the video.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
A few years back I thought I might want an Olson, and contacted Jim. He was beyond polite, and agreed to add me to the years' build list.

I backed out, mostly because I wasn't sure if the SJ size was appropriate. In hindsight, I may have been smart to order in any event and sell at a nice profit (if not being totally mesmerized by its tone).
I had some folks encouraging me at one time to have a really fancy Olson SJ built by James Olson, such as a James Taylor signature one. But I could never make myself spend that much money, even though I'm sure I would have loved the guitar.

I'm glad I kept things fairly simple.

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think you have described the relative sounds quite well; that's the way I hear the guitars, too.

The Olson is a small jumbo or SJ. So it has a little larger body compared to the OM size for the Collings OM1A and the Santa Cruz OM/PW. So I think some of the added bass in the Olson comes from a larger body.

- Glenn

Thank for replying ! [emoji4] I forget Body sizes sometimes as to their standard specs . [emoji58]

I’m a bit jealous of those who can afford such beautiful instruments . If I could afford one the scale would have the guitar on one side a newer used truck on the other ! Though I would be severely torn and saddened I’d have to go with the truck . Lol [emoji23]

I’ll look at it like this , I have all the beautiful guitars I could ever need or want through amazing players like you that have them and share their beautiful music with us ! [emoji4]

P.S. Come on Lotto ! Lmao 🤣

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 12-09-2022, 11:02 AM

Nice video Glenn: They all sound great, slight edge to the Olson.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Hmmm, most everyone thinks the Olson sounds best while I think it’s the Collings. I’m starting to think I should look for a Collings!
Old 12-09-2022, 11:43 AM

Funny, I liked the Collings the best, too. Just seemed a bit more clear and penetrating, if you can describe guitars that way. But, in truth, all three guitars were wonderful.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Hmmm, most everyone thinks the Olson sounds best while I think it’s the Collings. I’m starting to think I should look for a Collings!
I think you played this Collings OM1A once at one of the AGF gatherings at Matt's house. It is a lovely guitar and has wonderful clarity of sound. I think the OM1 is a great Collings model.

I hope all is well for you these days!

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Thank for replying ! [emoji4] I forget Body sizes sometimes as to their standard specs . [emoji58]

I’m a bit jealous of those who can afford such beautiful instruments . If I could afford one the scale would have the guitar on one side a newer used truck on the other ! Though I would be severely torn and saddened I’d have to go with the truck . Lol [emoji23]

I’ll look at it like this , I have all the beautiful guitars I could ever need or want through amazing players like you that have them and share their beautiful music with us ! [emoji4]

P.S. Come on Lotto ! Lmao ��
Well, if it helps any, now that I am retired, I couldn't afford to spend so much money on a guitar today, either.

I certainly can't afford to buy a used pickup truck at today's prices. The prices have gotten ridiculous! My Ford F150 is a year 2000 model, now 22 years old. And it was a stripped down, simple utility truck when I bought it way back in 2000.

Enjoy the holidays!
Old 12-09-2022, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Nice video Glenn: They all sound great, slight edge to the Olson.
Hi Rolph,

Thank you. And I agree with your assessment. This is how I hear these guitars, too.

But... we don't all want the same thing from a guitar. And we each have our own set of ears. If we have sustained hearing damage over the years or hearing loss just from natural aging, the way we hear today will be much more biased towards the bass side of the spectrum because we can hear that. The upper midrange and higher frequencies tend to be gone from our hearing in such circumstances. So in a case like this, we might prefer a guitar that doesn't emphasize bass but rather emphasizes clarity, such as the Collings OM1A.

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Funny, I liked the Collings the best, too. Just seemed a bit more clear and penetrating, if you can describe guitars that way. But, in truth, all three guitars were wonderful.
Thank you JW!

I thought they all sounded wonderful, too. I came out of that project really appreciating these three guitars.

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2022, 04:57 PM

That Olsen sounds fantastic! Thanks for doing the comparison.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
That Olsen sounds fantastic! Thanks for doing the comparison.
You're welcome Joeld!

I'm so glad you appreciate the recording. Thanks for your feedback!

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Great video Glenn! All three sound great but the Olson shows out just a bit better for that style of arrangement than the others to my ears at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, Olson guitars have gotten very expensive. I bought a used one a few years ago from a fellow AGF member and got a fair price, ~$8.5K, which is expensive, but a bargain compared to Olsons in today's market. They are lovely guitars but not for everyone. Some people play these guitars and don't like them at all. I am very glad to have mine, however.

I did this comparison of three guitars, including my Olson, a while back based on a Carl Miner composition I heard on one of his demos for The North American Guitar (TNAG).

https://youtu.be/2AhypUHdoI8

Regards,
Glenn

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion