The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, Olson guitars have gotten very expensive. I bought a used one a few years ago from a fellow AGF member and got a fair price, ~$8.5K, which is expensive, but a bargain compared to Olsons in today's market. They are lovely guitars but not for everyone. Some people play these guitars and don't like them at all. I am very glad to have mine, however.

I did this comparison of three guitars, including my Olson, a while back based on a Carl Miner composition I heard on one of his demos for The North American Guitar (TNAG).

Regards,
Glenn
I'll join in on thanks for posting this Glenn. In my exploration of beautifully constructed guitars, I've not much scanned the Olson / TJ Thompson possibilities because the prices are beyond what I could spend, and the lead times are also longer than I'd want to go.

So I've not (knowingly) heard Olson guitars, the other confounding thing is I don't know where I'd go to hear them in comparison to other things I know in comparable recording setup / room acoustics.

It's clear (to me) that that Olson and SCGC are playing more or less in the same ballpark, and I'd have to give your Olson the nod, albeit without knowing cedar tops well enough to extrapolate anything of interest from the cedar/spruce comparison.

Since you play these instruments over a long-haul, I'd be super curious to hear your evaluation of the merits of each. And of course no need to answer, again, you've done me a lovely mitzvah in putting up this a/b/c comparison.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:59 PM

I bought my 2003 SJ last spring.
It had some lacquer checking on the front and back, so I sent it to Jim Olson.
He completely refinished it and installed a pickup.
He said it is better than new (whatever that means - ha!)
I gig my Taylor Koa, which seems to sound better (bass) through my AER amp.
Keep the Olson as my home guitar and will never sell it!
Here is are some shots from his shop after he refinished it.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
With an economic slowdown and possibly a recession on the horizon, it's probably a good time to offload guitars with perceived values of $25,000 - $50,000,
cash out, hunker down and play your everyday stash of $10,000 dollar guitars.
Knock a zero off, and we're back into a range I can play in. And I'm thankful to have the finances to do so.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfro View Post
I bought my 2003 SJ last spring.
It had some lacquer checking on the front and back, so I sent it to Jim Olson.
He completely refinished it and installed a pickup.
He said it is better than new (whatever that means - ha!)
I gig my Taylor Koa, which seems to sound better (bass) through my AER amp.
Keep the Olson as my home guitar and will never sell it!
Here is are some shots from his shop after he refinished it.

I had to reach for my sunglasses to look at that. My oh my. Or as Gomer Pyle would day, “gaw-uh-awww-ly!”

My clumsy hands need never touch a jewel like that.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-08-2022, 07:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Ah, your Olsen has that cedar I call "Chocolate Cedar," that I've only seen on Olsen's guitars. The last time I saw that was when I was working with Phil Keaggy. He played out his first Olsen for the last time when he came to visit. It sounded lovely but the top looked like it had served as the standing space for a golf driving range or cheeks after acne. It was beat up!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:44 PM

Smile

Quote:

I did this comparison of three guitars, including my Olson, a while back based on a Carl Miner composition I heard on one of his demos for The North American Guitar (TNAG).
Glenn
Beautiful playing Glenn, The Santa Cruz wasn't to shabby either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
With an economic slowdown and possibly a recession on the horizon, it's probably a good time to offload guitars with perceived values of $25,000 - $50,000,
cash out, hunker down and play your everyday stash of $10,000 dollar guitars.
Sounds like a plan!
Old 12-08-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the kind compliments on the guitar comparison!

Gfro! That is a beautiful Olson! Congratulations!

I don't know if I would spend so much money on a guitar again, and the irony is, I doubt I could ever buy a used Olson for that price again, but I could probably could my money back out of it if I ever needed to. Hopefully, the guitar will be something I can pass on.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
I'll join in on thanks for posting this Glenn. In my exploration of beautifully constructed guitars, I've not much scanned the Olson / TJ Thompson possibilities because the prices are beyond what I could spend, and the lead times are also longer than I'd want to go.

So I've not (knowingly) heard Olson guitars, the other confounding thing is I don't know where I'd go to hear them in comparison to other things I know in comparable recording setup / room acoustics.

It's clear (to me) that that Olson and SCGC are playing more or less in the same ballpark, and I'd have to give your Olson the nod, albeit without knowing cedar tops well enough to extrapolate anything of interest from the cedar/spruce comparison.

Since you play these instruments over a long-haul, I'd be super curious to hear your evaluation of the merits of each. And of course no need to answer, again, you've done me a lovely mitzvah in putting up this a/b/c comparison.
Hi Sadie,

I think I prefer the Olson SJ most of the time. It has kind of a warm glow in its sound that makes me feel good. It also has just the right amount of sustain for me.

I use the Santa Cruz OM/PW more often, however. That guitar is out on a stand in my studio all the time because I use it so much. For me, this is the perfect OM guitar. The Olson is a large guitar, a small jumbo, though compared to a dreadnought it's more comfortable to play.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Beautiful tune and beautifully played, Glenn. I think the Collings sounded the best. I’d love to hear how my Kinnaird would fare in that mix.
Hi K20C!

How nice to hear from you! I hope you are doing well!

All those guitars sound great to me. But if I had to make a choice, I would choose the Olson. I like bass warmth and lots of overtones. But for very busy playing the Collings OM1A is very good at keeping things clear.

I would love to play that Kinnaird of yours again! What a delightful guitar that is!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
That Olson sounds lovely by a long shot Glenn!

Rick
Hi Rick,

Yes, the sound of the Olson catches my ear every time!

I hope you are well, Rick!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Wow nice playing . Are the body’s the same size ? I liked both though Adirondack is my favorite top wood . The Olsen was warmer naturally because of the cedar and sounded like it had a bit more overtone ring to it . Best way I can describe it. ...
I think you have described the relative sounds quite well; that's the way I hear the guitars, too.

The Olson is a small jumbo or SJ. So it has a little larger body compared to the OM size for the Collings OM1A and the Santa Cruz OM/PW. So I think some of the added bass in the Olson comes from a larger body.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:42 PM

A few years back I thought I might want an Olson, and contacted Jim. He was beyond polite, and agreed to add me to the years' build list.

I backed out, mostly because I wasn't sure if the SJ size was appropriate. In hindsight, I may have been smart to order in any event and sell at a nice profit (if not being totally mesmerized by its tone).

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 12-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Very nice, Glenn. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but that Olson sure sounded sweet.

I have a cedar-topped Taylor on the way, and hope it sounds half as good as your Olson.
Hi Ken,

I have heard some older Taylor 714 models, cedar over EIR, sound somewhat close to the Olson sound without anywhere near the price tag. I hope your new Taylor sounds wonderful for you!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
... Really wonderful song, playing and comparison...I first listened just with laptop speakers and my wife about 10 feet away quickly commented: "that's beautiful!" I then went to headphones and I hear some difference between the three with perhaps most coming from the Olson's cedar top(?) or construction of course. Moving from more fundamental to more complex, I hear the order being Collings, SC, O, respectively. I don't know if I trust myself completely though to avoid the bias of knowing which was which.
Thank you for sharing,
Glenn
PS: I agree it's a great song for comparisons.
Hi Gmel,

Your assessment pretty much matches mine.

I was a little surprised that the Santa Cruz OM/PW holds up as well as it does, but having new strings on each of those guitars lets me respond at their best.

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi all…
My main guitar (for 30 yrs in 2023) is my 1992-93 Olson Dreadnought - EIR/Cedar.

There is a FaceBook group for Olson guitars, and we see maybe 4-5 a year up for sale, usually about the mid-$20,000 range. Going through brokers will add to the cost significantly.

I've played a bunch of Olsons, 2 with Spruce tops and all the rest Cedar. Cedar is my top-o-choice for them.

Mine has been a workhorse. Players who get their hands/fingers on it all declare it one of the best they've ever played.

Actually only ever had one player dislike it (His Martin D-18 was strung with beefed up 13s, with the highest action I've ever seen on a guitar). He couldn't even play the Olson in tune (and I couldn't do barre chords on his).

My cost in 1992 when I commissioned it (with the Baggs LB-6 pickup installed) was $3050.00. It's not going to be sold. When I die, it will go to a serious and young-ish player who appreciates it's 'worth' (at no expense to them).

Hi Larry,

I like a cedar top on an Olson, too. In fact, hearing some of your recordings way back when I first came onto the forum in 2008 encouraged me to look into Olson guitars.

I'm glad you have gotten so much great use out of your Olson dreadnought.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion