The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Default When's a Cover Song a Cover Song?

Okay, I didn't come up with a good heading.

People often say people like cover songs. What if people don't know the song being covered? How is that different than doing originals?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-06-2022, 09:41 AM

Post deleted.

Last edited by WolfmansBrother; 12-06-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 AM

If a tree falls in the woods and...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
What if people don't know the song being covered? How is that different than doing originals?
if they like em, it don't matter

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:59 AM

When's a Cover Song a Cover Song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
People often say people like cover songs. What if people don't know the song being covered? How is that different than doing originals?
It's snot.

A 'cover' song is when its done just like the original or most famous version.
Probably safe to assume that most of the audience knows most of the popular songs.

I like it best when the covering act brings its own style and difference to the party. And maybe takes a few chances with some changes.

No way I can sound like ABBA, but I do a couple of their songs.
My way.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 12-06-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

If you didn't write it, it's a cover. Seems pretty simple.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:18 AM

Well there are covers and then there are re-interpretations that almost make it another song. The foundation is there but all feel totally different.

Bert Jansch doing "It don't Bother Me"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRLj-AXq_w

The Robert Plant and Alison Krauss version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVGCYWpRQ8

Here is "Got My Mind Set On You" by James RAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1E6xvM7PeA

And here is the George Harrison version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_71w4UA2Oxo
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-06-2022, 10:19 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
If you didn't write it, it's a cover. Seems pretty simple.
It is, but I totally understand what the OP is getting at...the perception of the audience.

When I was very busy with solo acoustic shows from '82 until about '05 I always sought out the best tunes I could find by obscure singer/songwriters and performed them often. They comprised around 50% of the material I'd play in a night. I'd also play my favorite tunes by famous artists even if they were deep album tracks.

I'd keep interest up by putting some well known songs in between, of course, but always tried to introduce new music in my shows...and many times I'd get folks coming up between sets and asking about a tune or two.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:35 AM

So would that mean if you wrote the song, but nobody knows that, it might still be a cover?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Smile Covers versus reinterpretations

When you go to your local bar and see a tribute band, that’s covers for sure.

When you go see Willie Nelson, do anybody else’s song, it still sounds exactly like Willie Nelson.

Check out Eva Cassidy live version of over the rainbow for more in that vein.

I apparently am incapable of playing other people songs just like they do anyway, so I don’t have to worry about that. Ha ha ha ha ha

Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/solstice/Kwanzaa/Festivus

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-06-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
It is, but I totally understand what the OP is getting at...the perception of the audience.

When I was very busy with solo acoustic shows from '82 until about '05 I always sought out the best tunes I could find by obscure singer/songwriters and performed them often. They comprised around 50% of the material I'd play in a night. I'd also play my favorite tunes by famous artists even if they were deep album tracks.

I'd keep interest up by putting some well known songs in between, of course, but always tried to introduce new music in my shows...and many times I'd get folks coming up between sets and asking about a tune or two.
This is how I perform. I have written very few songs and I don't think most are ready for prime time, but I like to prospect for interesting songs and obscure songs and then make my own arrangements. Then I end up with about a 50/50 mix. I think people are more engaged when familiar songs are played, if they are played well. And my experience of performers who stick to original songs, is that most of them are just not that good. The music we hear on the radio or on streaming services has generally been put through the pretty stern curating process of the commercial music business and most dud songs are weeded out. But there are plenty of great songs that never made it through that process or never became widely popular that can really engage an audience, so I like the process of finding those songs and making them my own.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-06-2022, 11:12 AM

My rule of thumb is unless you have originals that are far better than a cover in the same vein you shouldn't bother playing them for an audience. IMO nothing worse than boring originals with somebody pouring out their inner angst for the world to witness. A singer/guitarist isn't necessarily a good songwriter and doesn't need to be to be an entertaining artist. Self-awareness rather than self-indulgence is very important when an audience is involved.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-06-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
My rule of thumb is unless you have originals that are far better than a cover in the same vein you shouldn't bother playing them for an audience. IMO nothing worse than boring originals with somebody pouring out their inner angst for the world to witness. A singer/guitarist isn't necessarily a good songwriter and doesn't need to be to be an entertaining artist. Self-awareness rather than self-indulgence is very important when an audience is involved.
Oooh, ouch! That's some brutal words there, man ...but I'd have to agree.

FWIW, our band (trio doing rock covers) does not only the well-covered "fun" stuff for public consumption, but we cover the stuff we like that is still "radio play" for lack of a better term, but perhaps a road a bit less travelled. Moreover, some in our set list are closer to the original while others I have arranged my way, for funsies.

1. The song has to pass the band's approval (no one wants to play a song they personally can't stand, myself included!)
2. To the OP's point: the song must pass audience muster. If it's a "dead response" after a few tries, it's binned.
3. The bold portion is worth remembering IMO and IME.

Edward
Old 12-06-2022, 11:25 AM

The term comes from the recording-biz practice of producing a version of an already-recorded song, and in the days of racially segmented audiences that often meant a white artist doing a song introduced by a black artist--for example, Pat Boone's famous/infamous sanitized versions of material originated by Little Richard and Fats Domino.

The notion that any performance of a song one didn't write is a "cover" seems to have gotten traction after the rise of the singer-songwriter in the Folk Scare years, followed by a similar movement in rock. (Early rock and roll hits were likely to be written by pro songwriters and given to artists by A&R men.) Twenty-some years ago at an open mike, a young guy asked me what kind of music I played, and when I said "Swing tunes and standards," he said, "Oh--covers." Of course, by that time "cover band" meant a bar band that reproduced radio hits, including the recognizable arrangements. Which was what one of my playing partners did every weekend with his band--the job, as he saw it, was to offer the music the patrons wanted in the form they found familiar, so he made sure that the hooks and breaks and such were all present and accounted for.

But nobody with a decent grasp of the history of American popular music would call, say, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, or Barbra Streisand a "cover artist"--or Elvis, for that matter. What they performed was called "repertory." There were, to be sure, performers who also composed--Hoagy Carmichael and Johnny Mercer--but most of the creators of the Great American Songbook were not performers, though a few did have performing in their backgrounds--Harold Arlen and Frank Loesser, for example.

And Ray Charles didn't "cover" standards and country tunes--he transformed them.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:39 AM

I would say this is a cover of a CCR song. What say you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion