The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 08:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default My Martin HD-28 Review is up!

I've given the new Martin HD-28 two months to let the glow wear off see it with practical eyes. At this point I think I've got some decent insights into the instrument, including a comparison to a Taylor 710ce. See if you agree. You'll find the review over HERE on my website.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-05-2022, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Love all your reviews, Bob! Glad you got the one with "that sound".

Curious though, what does "aged toner on the tope" mean? lol

All the best,

Lance
Old 12-05-2022, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Nice contribution to the Internet, Bob.

For an HD-28 fanboy like me, that was an enjoyable read. I felt the love rising off the screen.

I had to go feel the fret edges on mine. I didn’t know about the recessing you pointed out. Thanks for informing me!

Interesting that yours came home with excess relief that you were able to tighten out with the wrench (thanks also for guiding me to the wrench you bought). Same with mine. The tech at Gryphon tightened four quarter turns (!) before reaching a target measured relief.

I did go ahead and change to lights after a month, once I had worn out the new mediums it came with. I have to say I get plenty of power from this guitar with lights. It just suits me with the flexibility of the strings — it gives me the option to selectively “twang in” on notes. Think Paul McCartney in Heart on the Country, Every Night, or the intro to Mother Nature’s son. But I can drive Harvest Moon’s gravitas, or even the vulcanism of Carry On with no wimp factor. In a large living room, in recording, or through the Loudbox Mini there’s volume to spare. I’m not playing at Woodstock. Love the lights.

Once I put on the lights I was getting buzz on the G and D strings. I loosened two light quarter turns and the buzz is gone.

I’ll stop here, except to say again that I like your decision to feature the closeup detail photo of the herringbone. I like knowing there are others who share my delight with the HD-28. Enjoy yours! Why go boutique?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-05-2022, 11:13 PM

Great review, and good choice. Can't go wrong with a Martin Standard Dread. They are the flagship of Martins rich heritage.

Enjoy it in good health.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 12-06-2022, 05:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangersfaces View Post
Love all your reviews, Bob! Glad you got the one with "that sound".

Curious though, what does "aged toner on the tope" mean? lol

All the best,

Lance
Oh, I meant to say "toupee." Getting my first grey flecks.

Thanks for the spellcheck. Fixed.

Bob

Old 12-06-2022, 07:56 AM

Even though I ended up with a D41, a Reimagined HD28 was the first Martin guitar, that made me HAVE to HAVE a Martin, due to how great it sounded. Great write-up!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-06-2022, 08:30 AM

They are truly exceptional instruments and, IMO, a great bang for the buck value-wise.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 12-06-2022, 08:38 AM

That is a terrific evaluation, Bob. I really enjoyed reading it. I know pretty much nothing about the intricacies of acoustic guitars, but always like to learn something new. What was that old saying or sales pitch, you make learning fun?

And as far as thanking your wife in your posts, never stop doing that! It’s obvious she is your best friend and biggest supporter.

All the best,
frank d.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:23 PM

As I expected, your review was thoroughly enjoyable for a new HD-28 owner like myself. Like you, THAT is the sound I was looking for and also agree, it responds nicely without having to be driven hard but naturally can be. My honeymoon with this guitar is going to be a while so I'll just stop gushing now.

It's a bummer your review was posted the same day as the thread about Martin binding/glue. Seems to me it muted some of the normal response for a review like yours. Then again, it's way more of a bummer for the people who had that misfortune. I feel their pain.

I'll hold my breath and hope they got ours right!
Old 12-07-2022, 07:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The binding issue was supposedly handled by 2021.

Bob

Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 PM

Hey Bob, first off, CONGRATS!!! And that was a great review of great guitar. One thing I disagree with is that the Taylor might outshine it in delicate fingerpicking. I think you need to hear your HD28 with light strings here so you can compare apples to apples so to say in it's fingerpicked tones. You will be amazed at the difference in fingerpicked sounds when you go to the lighter strings. Mine sounds nowhere as good with mediums when fingerpicking. I've had my HD28 for 7 years now and I've gone back and forth on strings many times just to hear what it can do.

Listen to how the strings seem to shimmer on this recording of my HD28, harmonics seem to bounce off of it..

Another thing, when I bought mine, just a few weeks before I bought it, I went to a guitar center and purchased one for a good friends son, who is somewhat of a guitar prodigy. My friend asked me to find him a good dread for his son's graduation gift, and I was in there buying strings one day, and someone handed me the HD28 knowing how much I play acoustic. Well it blew me away, so, SOLD!!! It was just a fantastic guitar with everything I listen for in a dread!

Funny thing, a few weeks later. I was back at the same store with a friend, and they got in another HD28. I watched them take it out of the box. I was the first one to play it. And d**n, it sounded even better than the other one. I bought it on the spot!!! They are very consistent with the HD28.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-07-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for an excellent and informative review Bob! Congrats on your HD

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-07-2022, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Hey Bob, first off, CONGRATS!!! And that was a great review of great guitar. One thing I disagree with is that the Taylor might outshine it in delicate fingerpicking. I think you need to hear your HD28 with light strings here so you can compare apples to apples so to say in it's fingerpicked tones. You will be amazed at the difference in fingerpicked sounds when you go to the lighter strings. Mine sounds nowhere as good with mediums when fingerpicking. I've had my HD28 for 7 years now and I've gone back and forth on strings many times just to hear what it can do.

I totally agree about fingerpicking the HD-28 with lights.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-08-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Those who have become familiar with my views know that I am really not a Dread fan. And even less a fan of Taylor's.

That said, I bought an HD-28e earlier this year. It is a fine guitar. Of course like all of em it needed a setup desperately.

I am a fingerstyle guy, for the most part anymore. And there are no shortcomings about this guitar at all in that respect.

I'm mainly an OM, 000, player. Did an hour or two the other day. The HD-28 is a fine instrument for those after the Dreadnaught shape.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Lovely. It could be the brother to my OM-28:

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion