The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Interesting EQ technique (Reaper example)

Track splitting.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, tho it sure seems like a lot of work. A multi-band compressor and/or EQ could do pretty much the same thing, but I guess it just depends on what you would find easiest. Does reaper have busses? If so, another option would be to send each of these bands to separate busses instead of messing with copies of tracks. You could just keep your main track, and end up with low-mid-high busses that act like what he's doing here, and you'd still be able to to things to the main track that affect everything, if you wanted.

It's interesting how much compression he adds, you really hear the bass notes pumping. Perhaps this is headed for inclusion in a mix with more instruments?
Old 12-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Interesting, tho it sure seems like a lot of work. A multi-band compressor and/or EQ could do pretty much the same thing, but I guess it just depends on what you would find easiest. Does reaper have busses? If so, another option would be to send each of these bands to separate busses instead of messing with copies of tracks. You could just keep your main track, and end up with low-mid-high busses that act like what he's doing here, and you'd still be able to to things to the main track that affect everything, if you wanted.

It's interesting how much compression he adds, you really hear the bass notes pumping. Perhaps this is headed for inclusion in a mix with more instruments?
I thought that too, about a multiband EQ. In Reaper I use a reverb "bus" track that receives the "send" from the guitar track. I do like the idea of isolating the "guitar highs" track and maybe "send" that to the reverb bus alone. Fun stuff to play around with.

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-01-2022, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I thought that too, about a multiband EQ. In Reaper I use a reverb "bus" track that receives the "send" from the guitar track. I do like the idea of isolating the "guitar highs" track and maybe "send" that to the reverb bus alone. Fun stuff to play around with.
Does reaper allow you to put effects on the bus? I assume so. In that case, you can just put an EQ on a bus in front of the reverb, to have the reverb only see highs, or whatever EQ you want (some reverbs these days have that sort of thing built-in as well.) Or you could put EQ after the reverb as well.

I often put other effects ahead of the reverb on the reverb bus, EQ, compression, perhaps a de-clicker or de-squeaker that would sound bad on the raw track, but that you'll not notice on the reverb. It can help a bit to keep noises from being accentuated by the reverb.

Last edited by Doug Young; 12-01-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Does reaper have busses? If so, another option would be to send each of these bands to separate busses instead of messing with copies of tracks. You could just keep your main track, and end up with low-mid-high busses that act like what he's doing here, and you'd still be able to to things to the main track that affect everything, if you wanted.
Yes, certainly possible in Reaper. You'd configure your original stereo guitar track to have 6 channels, and from the splitter plugin send lows to 1/2, mids to 3/4 and highs to 5/6. Then route each pair of channels to another track where you'd put any compressor/EQ (and subsequently you could route each of those tracks to a single reverb bus--which, yes, can have other effects on it ahead of the reverb--and adjust sends to taste).

I think you're right that that might be a better workflow. It would also allow you to make global changes to the original guitar track (comping or moving parts, for example) without having to re-do any duplicating.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

You can get an excellent sound without doing virtually any of this. Cardinal rule IMO is get a good initial recording (performance, room, gear, setup).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You can get an excellent sound without doing virtually any of this. Cardinal rule IMO is get a good initial recording (performance, room, gear, setup).
Nothing takes the place of practice and preparation, but it is neat to tinker around with DAWs and such.

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-02-2022, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nothing takes the place of practice and preparation, but it is neat to tinker around with DAWs and such.
Yes it was for a time. Now I have zeroed in to what I find useful. However I am simply working with solo guitar and can easily re-record something that turns out unworkable.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-02-2022, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

The analogy that comes to mind is manipulating a black & white photograph. You can choose different film and exposures (guitar, strings, mic, room, and playing style), and then your choice of negative development (mixing plug-ins) affects its contrasts. Finally, you can control the overall balance of brightness and contrast when you expose and develop the print (mastering).

Of course, with experience, you can previsualize the final print to inform how you choose and expose the film in the first place. This might lighten the downstream processing steps.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 12-02-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Kenny Gioia ...haven't come across that name in a lot of years, close to a decade I'd guess. I think he used to post in one of the early Facebook audio groups ...can't recall which one though (at least I think that's where I remember him from, could have been some audio forum too though). I remember he got thrown out of the group several times for instigating arguments. I never got into it with him because the stuff that got him heated was never anything I was all that interested in discussing. He certainly was knowledgeable and he had a small group of loyal fans in the group but he really had a gift for attracting heat. This video was the first time I'd ever seen his face or heard his voice.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-03-2022, 11:39 AM

Kenny has done a vast series of YouTube videos demonstrating features and techniques. As I recall he started his series with both REAPER and ProTools but all I've ever watched were REAPER oriented. His collection is now so vast that it can be difficult to find the desired technique. And his focus is definitely on multi-track pop, so many of his tutorials don't match my interests. Can be an amusing way to click away an afternoon, though.

https://www.youtube.com/@REAPERMania

or

http://reaper.fm/videos.php

I think my favorite clip is his "Top 5 FX Plugins You Need To Buy"
http://reaper.fm/videos.php#ATRuiH87sjw

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Kenny has done a vast series of YouTube videos demonstrating features and techniques.
I haven't had a chance to look through his videos but I will. His cadence is something I'll have to get used to though. It kept distracting me from what he was saying.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-03-2022, 08:29 PM

Man - this is why I hate YouTube. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing...but he's selling it like he does & then people start to think this is a good idea.

He's basically saying "let's make a left turn...by making 3 rights".

He's rolling his own crossovers to make a multiband compressor, but adding tons of complexity. Just use a multiband compressor, if this is what you want to do.

Sorry to be so blunt, but simply don't. This is asinine.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-03-2022, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Man - this is why I hate YouTube. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing...but he's selling it like he does & then people start to think this is a good idea.

He's rolling his own crossovers to make a multiband compressor, but adding tons of complexity. Just use a multiband compressor, if this is what you want to do.

Those like you who know can help the rest of us find an efficient workflow for something like multiband compression. That would help us with the “how.”
But first it would be useful to know why and when we would want to use it and what results we can aim for.

For example, with a big, full sounding acoustic part, what are the possibilities with selective compression? I’m guessing that Paul McCartney has done this to make his acoustic parts pop, like in Every Night. I’ve always thought that main part sounded a little to rich to be true. I’d love to work through a tutorial on how to achieve that sound.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-03-2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD